Thread: What is the value of a used RS6 transmission?

What is the value of a used RS6 transmission?

I'm planning a 6speed swap on newly purchased 03 RS6. The current transmission seems to drive perfectly fine to me, however, it has the following recurring codes:

Address 02: Auto Trans Labels: 01L-927-156.lbl
    Part No: 4B0 927 156 FL
    Component: AG5 01L 4.2l5VT USA 0305
    Coding: 0000002
    Shop #: WSC 00000 785 00200
    VCID: 76ED1A72026C6EA80B0

2 Faults Found:
    17125 - Torque Converter Clutch
    P0741 - 003 - Stuck OFF / No Power being transferred - Intermittent
    18258 - Powertrain Data Bus
    P1850 - 003 - Missing Message from ECU - Intermittent

When I pull the trans, what is it worth on the used market. I am in Canada, but have no problem shipping to the US, if needed.
    Transmission has about 50K miles

Those codes reappear after you clear them? Is so, how soon after driving?
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

Yes, they come right back. I cleared them yesterday, and after a 10 min drive a scanned again and they had returned.

Apparently, the Powertrain Data Bus may be nothing to worry about. I read in another post that it will happen on many tuned ECUs, and has no real effect. The last owner of my car says it has a Unitronics flash on it.

Because all the labor involved to swap transmissions, no one will buy it and just put it in. So it will sell like a core trans. I bought two of them $600 each.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Eastern or western Canada?
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I sold mine for $1000 with stock TC. Just starting to slip, so needed to be a rebuilt. I delivered mine to 517 for the buyer as a favor. As Tozo said, for anyone thinking of doing this, don't buy a trans and expect to jut put it in.
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Eastern or western Canada?
    Im located in Toronto Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    Because all the labor involved to swap transmissions, no one will buy it and just put it in. So it will sell like a core trans. I bought two of them $600 each.
    Wow. That is pretty cheap. But I understand where you are coming from. Thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I sold mine for $1000 with stock TC. Just starting to slip, so needed to be a rebuilt. I delivered mine to 517 for the buyer as a favor. As Tozo said, for anyone thinking of doing this, don't buy a trans and expect to jut put it in.
    Good to know. The condition of yours sounds pretty much the same as mine.

Sam at 517 Trans told me they were worth north of $1500 easy. He was surprised that I sold mine that cheap. As anythng though, they are worth what the market dictates and what someone will pay. Good Luck with your swap.
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    I was just going to say about $600 plus whatever you can get for the TC as a core. In my opinion, at this stage of the trans's life, the flush and fill procedure could even be harmful, so it's a real gamble putting in a perfectly working transmission when it's in used condition.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    Sam at 517 Trans told me they were worth north of $1500 easy. He was surprised that I sold mine that cheap. As anythng though, they are worth what the market dictates and what someone will pay. Good Luck with your swap.
    Thanks. Yeah, that damn market always has the last word

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    I was just going to say about $600 plus whatever you can get for the TC as a core. In my opinion, at this stage of the trans's life, the flush and fill procedure could even be harmful, so it's a real gamble putting in a perfectly working transmission when it's in used condition.
    Thanks for the info Steve.

I'm in the same boat. I pulled mine out of my car at 55K in good working order as I had my engine out and had a rebuilt core to install. I had even flushed the fluid at 30K and again at 50K. But even though mine was in very good shape when I pulled it out I would never re-install it without a rebuild due to the labor(mine in my case) and/or costs to swap one out.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

This all makes perfect sense. Add to the fact that my torque converter is already displaying issues, and it wouldn't make any sense for someone to install it without a complete rebuild. I appreciate the advice from everyone. I have a good idea what it is worth now. Ill post it up for sale once I get it pulled. If anyone wants to reserve it, send me an PM and we can work something out.

Your TC is what is giving you the 17125 code. DRIVING with that code is causing your transmission to slip. When I got my forst 17125 code, I parked the car and put an ACE TC in it. Drove for another year and a half before it started to act up again. This time it just started to slip..no codes.
    2013 Audi S8

$1k for both. Drove for a few months with tc code, easy like, replaced...replaced trans a year later. If in doubt, both at once to save the labor!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com