Thread: Didn't pass smog check in California.

Didn't pass smog check in California.

So my car is labelled a 'gross polluter' right now. I can't drive it as they won't renew my registration until it passes smog. Can't sell it in California unless it passes smog.

Dealership says I need new catalytic converters. Parts around $2600, but labor is going to be 3-4k because they need to pull the engine to put them in.

Anyone have any other ideas? I have the eurocharged tune on it right now, stock other than that. I might pull the tune off and get a can of the stuff to help you pass smog, but I am not very optimistic about that.

Kind of a bummer as I have had the engine out 4 times already in the last 2 years. Mostly under warranty. New torque converter, new transmission, new alternator, new brakes, new belts, new DRC, new valve cover gaskets.....been an expensive couple years.

My other thought was to sell it to someone in a state that doesn't require smog checks.

you have a PM
    -Patrick // 06 Frontier SE 6spd // Mods: a few... // Uprev Tuned @ Z1 Motorsports: 257whp & 292ft-lbs
    09 G8 GXP 6M // All stock other than tint

Post specs on the car. miles, ect

What part of CA? location

You dont need to pull engine to change downpipes. May want to check with the guys at Raven if your socal

Car is in San Francisco, CA.

111,XXX miles. No mods except eurocharged tune.

So you are saying I can pull off the stock exhaust and put on something aftermarket and not have to pull the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by mrmister View Post

So you are saying I can pull off the stock exhaust and put on something aftermarket and not have to pull the engine?
    Yep, it's a pain, but someone who's done it before can be efficient at it...

I would first pull the tune and test again, that could take care of it...maybe.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Sounds like the tune...

034 Motorsports could possibly help with cats but AFAIK I have NEVER heard of a Cat/Pre failing on these cars...
    IF that is the case, I have a set of DownPipes with stock Pre Cats/Cats still in virgin state... PM is interested.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Yes, you can pull the downpipes without removing the entire engine/trans.

I would try a stock tune first and then determine if the downpipes need to be changed.

Going with a known good set of stock downpipes would be the answer to getting smogged.

i thought the precats were only to speed up cold start emissions? probably main cats. just get aftermarket and splice in. 800 all in.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Not sure how the tune should affect this? I obviously don't know how they test cars out West, but I'd assume you're not tested under boost? Car witha tune should be "cleaner" at idle than before? Even up to 2000 RPMs' or so... Does it feel sluggish? Check all your vacuum lines? "Boost" leaks? What did it fail on?
    2013 Audi S8

Bump from the depths...... any update on this?

No update. I have been out of town and haven't had a chance to deal with it. My plan is still to pull the tune, change the oil, get it really hot and go in to the smog check. If that doesn't work, well then I will either sell it, or take it to Alaska. The car runs fantastic.

No update. I have been out of town and haven't had a chance to deal with it. My plan is still to pull the tune, change the oil, get it really hot and go in to the smog check. If that doesn't work, well then I will either sell it, or take it to Alaska. The car runs fantastic.
    Did they tell you what failed?
    03' RS6 - Mugello Blue, Ebony Interior. 19" V710's
    Sold - 06 6SP Silver B7 S4 - APR Exh, piggies, JHM ECU, VMR V708's
    Sold - 01.5 B5 S4 6-Speed - Neuspeed Exhaust, GIAC-X ECU, Shifter, VMR V708's

Does adding ACES IV or another additive help with smog?
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

My guess is the tune was running rich, which they tend to do for the extra boost and timing, that can vary at idle depending on the fuel map...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

This may be far too late, but if you need a great service and performance shop check out Marin MotorSports in Greenbrae. Not too far past the GG bridge. Scott is the owner and knows his stuff, aside from being a stand up good guy.

http://www.marinmotorsports.com/index.htm

Being how fun the RS6's are to work on not sure if I'd recommend telling him who sent you! But tease him that it's a guy with a turbo Scirocco ;-)
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com