Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: S6 conversion to RS6

Little update. Everything is mechanically sound and I need to replace some misc items, like trans mounts, rear diff mounts, maybe engine mounts.

I'm pleased with things thus far and am waiting for the finalized ECU from AMD. Thanks to allrightroad for the loaner ECU.

Sorry for crappy pics and dirty car.

It's headed to the tint shop for 30% all around today (sans front of course).

I'll get it inspected once the AMD ECU returns.

It probably might look better a bit lower, but I need to be practical driving on the roads that I travel around here.

It still needs a full detail and the rear spoiler needs to be affixed and some other minor details to complete the assembly. I'm having front bumper fitment issues after I installed the IC ducting so I need to remove the bumper and trim the ducts and possibly tweak the length of the bumper shocks.

I'm going to try and refinish the headlights, clay bar it and start paint correction this weekend if I have time.

I'm also debating on whether to have the whole thing painted over winter, too.

It did pretty well on some back roads when I was running late to the local Oktoberfest car show on Sunday. And when the roads are smooth, it's nice on the highway, too.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Awesome to see it's on the road! Looks more like an Allroad with that ride height and wide wheel offset
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Outstanding as usual Steve ! let me know next time you come thru Albany, I know we missed each other last time, but I'm around for a bit.

Cheers,

Mike L

Looks gorgeous.

Awesome. Glad to see it all came together!
    2002 Audi S6 - O1E swap, Tial 770R 2.7T swap

Looks fantastic; can't wait to see it after it's detailed and running 100%!
    2017 Subaru BRZ Limited w/ Performance Pack 6MT
    2003 Audi RS 6 quattro 5AT - sold

Another update and some questions.

The car is all PA legal now with the AMD 6MT Stage 1 tune flashed. Passed state safety and emissions.

My Milltek knock-off downpipes arrive today. I'll report on whether I can swap them out without disturbing (dropping) the engine.

I also have a coolant leak from the dreaded coolant pipe that I had in my hands and inspected prior to doing this build. It had no deterioration so I can only imagine that the o-ring has failed. I did proactively replace all the poop low head socket head cap screws with normal ones, so removing the bolts holding the cooler should be manageable, but I'm not 100% that I still will not need to drop the engine.

When I upped the boost on the car, I also experienced something that I'm trying to figure out.

The best way I can describe it as that the car feels like it occasionally/intermittently skips or flutters under heavy acceleration/boost. Almost like the clutch is slipping/jerking, but I'm certain it's not the clutch since it's some super duper AMD/CM setup good for gobs of torque.

It also feels like it slips/flutters immediately when I let off the gas when under load/boost.

Has anyone else experienced this or something similar?

Right now I'm looking at the MAF seals between the MAF and turbos. I removed the MAFs from the airbox and placed them over the inlets and the fit is really sloppy and I'm not sure that the seals are doing their job and I've probably got lots of 'un-metered' air entering the system under load. I've made the decision to remove the seals and adhere the MAFs to the inlets with some type of adhesive. On the short list is just black RTV. Has anyone done this? If so what did you use to glue them in? Any suggestions? I thought some others on the forum were doing this but my search skills are not so good, I guess.

After this, my next step will be testing the bypass valves. Then the N75... Then the wastegates... Then the turbos...

Aside from this, the car is nuts on how it pulls. I've retained the S6's servotronic circuitry and rack and it seems like a RWD car under hard acceleration. I'm most likely going to pull the servotronic relay or make a switch to defeat it when desired. Maybe VIA a FUNK button.

The PC 680 battery seems to be holding up well, too.

Other than that, it's still some cosmetic stuff. I'm thinking of having the car painted over winter (wife wants a color change but I'm hesitant).

I still need to play with the ride height, install the rear spoiler and misc new interior bits.

I've not had a chance to clean it up lately, so a crappy butt pic will have to do for now. Had the windows tinted, too.

Awesome work Steve! On the battery, have you had many super cold starts with it? How did it do?

Your fluttering issue sounds a lot like what you think it is, unmetered air. Good luck with getting that sorted.

Got a pic of the spoiler? I'm still thinking of getting one for my Avant.
    2002 Audi S6 - O1E swap, Tial 770R 2.7T swap

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    I also have a coolant leak from the dreaded coolant pipe that I had in my hands and inspected prior to doing this build. It had no deterioration so I can only imagine that the o-ring has failed. I did proactively replace all the poop low head socket head cap screws with normal ones, so removing the bolts holding the cooler should be manageable, but I'm not 100% that I still will not need to drop the engine.
    Can be done w/o removing engine, but it's a bear. Given that you are one of the few on this forum that has removed a 5Tip from below with car on axle stands, I think you will find this significantly easier....

When I upped the boost on the car, I also experienced something that I'm trying to figure out.

The best way I can describe it as that the car feels like it occasionally/intermittently skips or flutters under heavy acceleration/boost. Almost like the clutch is slipping/jerking, but I'm certain it's not the clutch since it's some super duper AMD/CM setup good for gobs of torque.

It also feels like it slips/flutters immediately when I let off the gas when under load/boost.

Has anyone else experienced this or something similar?
    Yes. My 2nd beast with Marc's tune did this all the time. It was like a 'hiccup' and I was never able to figure it out.

Right now I'm looking at the MAF seals between the MAF and turbos. I removed the MAFs from the airbox and placed them over the inlets and the fit is really sloppy and I'm not sure that the seals are doing their job and I've probably got lots of 'un-metered' air entering the system under load. I've made the decision to remove the seals and adhere the MAFs to the inlets with some type of adhesive. On the short list is just black RTV. Has anyone done this? If so what did you use to glue them in? Any suggestions? I thought some others on the forum were doing this but my search skills are not so good, I guess.
    I did a redneck fix for this specific item. 3-4 wraps of electrical tape around the base of the MAF made the friction fit with existing seals sufficient to hold the MAF's solidly in place. Can drive without the aircleaner housing and perform quick review for leaks, testing, etc., this way. I'm contemplating removing the rubber seals all together and adding a velcro wrap to the outside of the MAF that will provide a friction fit without letting air bypass. Haven't tested this to guarantee it works, but I would find it hard to believe that any measurable quantity of air would bleed past the outside of a 3" hole directly next to it...
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    Yes. My 2nd beast with Marc's tune did this all the time. It was like a 'hiccup' and I was never able to figure it out.
    Makes me wonder if it's tuning related or related to higher than stock boost?

Hopefully it's not tuning related.

I've got spare MAFs, diverter valves and N75 valves. No spare turbos, though.

Makes me wonder if it's tuning related or related to higher than stock boost?

Hopefully it's not tuning related.

I've got spare MAFs, diverter valves and N75 valves. No spare turbos, though.
    Marc's tune has less max boost than a number of the other tunes out there so I don't believe that was the issue. Further, I run that same tune in two different cars now and neither have the 'hiccup' I experienced and to which you sort of describe. Challenges with complex EMS like the one on this engine - difficult to pinpoint the exact problem many times.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I'm running Marc's tune as well - no issues on my car.

Got these on Saturday.

Fit and finish seems pretty good.

I'll report back with fitment after install.

Those are sexy. I'm interested.

DP's look nice. Hopefully you get the skipping sorted. Marc's tune didn't give me those issues when I was running it. FWIW.
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

Little update. Ive got a new clutch installed, bufkin pipe on deck and hope to have it buttoned up and on the road in a week or so. Maybe I'll post some pictures when I get it ready to go back in.

I'm anxious to see if the custom downpipes make any difference over the gutted precat stockers. Mainly sound I'm guessing.

Next week will be the first time in a long time that I will have two running Audi's at once. D2 S8 fuel pump and new filter goes in this weekend, too.
    Last edited by SteveKen; March 26th, 2015 at 20:28.

Just got back from a business road trip. Black is hard to keep clean.

I'm having it professionally detailed prior to Carlisle in mid May.

It's just about done and I'm liking the new clutch. No complaints on the downpipes, too.

I can spin all four wheels, too.