Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: S6 conversion to RS6

S6 conversion to RS6

Thought I'd throw in a bit of a teaser pic (crappy at best) of the current status of converting my S6 into an RS6 (in most aspects) . Maybe I'll post some Friday updates if anyone cares...

Note the brake vacuum water hose manifold is installed along with the coolant reservoir tray where the battery normally sits.

The car will be a 6 speed so I'm not using the brake vacuum pump and utilizing a Euro spec engine harness that isn't wired for the pump. Interesting fact is that the RHD ans Euro spec RS6 cars didn't come equipped with the pump.

Other custom items will include upgraded fuel pump/filter/lines/FPR, oil cooling and custom battery box to house one or 2 PC680 batteries where the SAI pump normally sits. The battery mod will also give me the full trunk along with a spare tire.

I'm waiting for a lot of parts to arrive from the UK and Germany before I can make some real progress. Clutch has been ordered along with the AMD manual stg1 tune.

Cosmetic items (aside from the RS6 body parts) are subtle. Maybe a new set of wheels (looking at Rotiform SNAs). I've already got all the aluminum trim back from the powdercoater (black optics matte black) and waiting to do some 'paint correction' before installing it.

I'm going to see how the car sits on the stock S6 suspension for now but will probably end up with PSS9s or KWs, even though coilovers are against my nature on a car that will not be tracked. Unless there's a shock/spring combo out there that I don't know of yet. Will definitely end up with adjustable UCAs and Hotchkis sways, too.

Might end up with a shortened JHM short shifter and some other misc stiffer bushings in the driveline (apikol, 034, etc)

Anyway... wish me luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	init_firewall_1.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	13817  
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

BTW, for all the purists out there, the car will not have the RS6 badging. I'll most likely have no badge.

Good luck! Thank you for taking the time to share the project with us
    210K miles rolled

Yes..definitely good luck.
    2013 Audi S8

An S6 avant with RS6 drivetrain and a manual transmission is pretty much the perfect vehicle. Can't wait to see your progress!

Lots of luck and keep us updated on any progress and pix. S6-R maybe?

This is exactly what I want to do to my S6, now that my S6 has a manual transmission!

Lots of pictures are a requirement!!
    2002 Audi S6 - O1E swap, Tial 770R 2.7T swap

Quote Originally Posted by mrdave View Post
    An S6 avant with RS6 drivetrain and a manual transmission is pretty much the perfect vehicle. Can't wait to see your progress!
    That sounds like the complete SLEEPER if I have every heard of one!!!!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Good luck, but I'd put some badges on
    2004 Audi RS6 - 4.2 V8
    1993 Audi S4 - 4.2 V8
    2007 Audi A8 - 4.2 V8

I'll be following suit as soon as my beast sells and frees up some cash! I can't wait to see completed project and I'll be asking for parts list, etc!
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

I would say you are good to badge it.. will have the heart and soul of an RS6. won't be pretend. Congrats on the endeavor!
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Interesting thought: how would the engine swap work into an Allroad?
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

Quote Originally Posted by bmwade View Post
    Interesting thought: how would the engine swap work into an Allroad?
    Any timing belt 4.2 would be tricky to install in any narrow bodied C5. The engine compartment, hood, fenders, etc. are around 50mm shorter than the wide bodied C5 cars. The allroad uses the timing chain 4.2 that's shorter.

I can't comprehend the work that would need to be done to twin turbo the timing chain 4.2. I still can't get past the fact that the chain assemblies, guides, etc. are a few grand to replace. (and the un-informed think that 35k mile T-belt jobs are reasons to stay away from the RS6........)

Steve you are sooo right about the chain driven 4.2. There are several reasons why I dont own a vehicle newer than 2003.

Timing chain $$$$$ issues, FSI carbon deposit issues, all kinds of fuel system issues due to the 2004 EPA mandate to eliminate the fuel return and the list goes on.

As my S6 avant sits out in the garage and these 15k RS6s come across my desk....the temptation is there to do the swap. I'm actually leaning more and more to just keeping the S6 and doing the swap.

And for those that have not driven all three platforms. The S6 drives like the RS6 just a bit softer but the overall driving impression is very similar to the RS6. Just no power. Throw coilovers and 4.2tt and you will drive and feel just like the RS6 sedan. The Allroad feels heavy and super soft. All the interior components and fabric do not give you the feel of a RS6 at all. It would take a huge project and money pit to even make it come close to feeling like a RS6 inside. Excluding the wide body and narrow body differences. Never mind the steering rack ratios and a host of other differences that will make the Allroad conversion feel like a FrankenAudi. imho

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    Any timing belt 4.2 would be tricky to install in any narrow bodied C5. The engine compartment, hood, fenders, etc. are around 50mm shorter than the wide bodied C5 cars. The allroad uses the timing chain 4.2 that's shorter.

I can't comprehend the work that would need to be done to twin turbo the timing chain 4.2. I still can't get past the fact that the chain assemblies, guides, etc. are a few grand to replace. (and the un-informed think that 35k mile T-belt jobs are reasons to stay away from the RS6........)

Oh yeah, I have offered my 65000 mile Atlas gray/black S6 avant to two members at $12500. They better hurry.

Before you change your mind?
    2013 Audi S8

All it takes is the right RS6 for sale in the SW region. Given the 15-18k price for some clean higher mileage RS6s that are complete... the swap makes more sense than buying a wrecked model with questionable components for 12k. I could then reinstall the S6 driveline back into the RS6 sedan and sell the hybrid RS6/S6 sedan for a few thousand to offset the conversion.

A pipe dream but what the heck. Audi is not going to bring us any S model avant. I would hand my wife the keys to the RS6 avant and she and the dogs would be in hog heaven. haha

I received my core support items form the UK today and I was disappointed at first, but it might be a blessing in disguise.

Apparently there's a 'non-hot' climate version of the radiator that doesn't have the third outlet. Therefore I don't need to add another thing that can break: the coolant solenoid that diverts water to the turbos at who knows what time. I'm eliminating around 6 - 10 clamping points that could leak and do not need to drill more mounting holes in the frame rails. I'm thinking I'm as close to a Euro zone LHD car than a US spec one. Not a bad thing, I guess.