Thread: Tune with Leaking Intercoolers...

Question Tune with Leaking Intercoolers...

Hi Guys

O.K I'm very keen on getting a tune, but I have a RHS leaking intercooler....

Given I don't track the car. Drive it at WOT or thrash it... Do I really need to get the Intercooler fixed?

I'm not really after top end performance maybe just a bit more low end / mid range response.?

Thoughts?

In short the answer is yes. The leak will only get worse and a leak will first of all make your Turbos work harder to build the required boost up to the point to where they are overspeeding or just can't make the boost. This overspeeding of the Turbos will prematurely wear out the Turbos. Off the line Turbo lag will most likely be increased to some degree as it will take longer (will vary depending on the size of the leak) to build the requested boost. Fix the leak before you get a tune. Getting a tune with a higher requested Boost will only work your Turbos harder.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

If you fix the leaking IC, you probably won't need a tune after that, since you aren't looking for performance. Tune = performance
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

dude get them fixed for sure! I'm still in the process of fixing mine. when i first pressure tested them, I couldn't get them to hold more than 3psi!! my tune is running 15psi! i sealed them once and they now hold 20psi but it still sloooooowly leaks. so i am going to seal them one more time then throw them back on. should make a heck of a difference considering I couldn't even run the 15psi that I'm supposed to be running!

$5 worth of JB Weld, $700 for new cores, or $2000 Wags.

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    $5 worth of JB Weld, $700 for new cores, or $2000 Wags.

2-3 tubes depending of anount of leakage. Sooooo $10-$15. Lol.
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

Never at wot? Good god man, you don't have to floor it. I achieve a bit of wot daily thanks, reason I like this car

I would fix the ic's for sure, helps a ton. Then get a tune, will give you more kick across the throttle...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Never at wot? Good god man, you don't have to floor it. I achieve a bit of wot daily thanks, reason I like this car

I would fix the ic's for sure, helps a ton. Then get a tune, will give you more kick across the throttle...
    haha.. yeah I'm a bit easy on it

Thanks for the replies guys. Will get a tube of this magical JB Weld stuff and have a go at fixing...

What if I find I have a leak towards the center of the intercooler? Is the JB Weld soft enough to be able to be pushed in between the cooler fins and maintain a good seal?

Cheers, John

You will likely only have a leak where the cores attach to the end tanks..fairly easy to get to. Keep us posted.
    2013 Audi S8