Thread: Need input ref shocks replacement

Need input ref shocks replacement

So ... years ago I replaced the DRC with Stasis-Ohlins .... BUT .. they leak as well, and need occasional re-charging, which is a pain. So I'm considering just replacing them, maybe with KW3's or Bilsteins or such ... looking for some input from the forum. As guidance; I have 127k on the beast, it's my daily driver, and I can't find a good reason to find a replacement car, so I expect to have it for at least another couple of years. I don't track it, but I am a "spirited" driver.

Your suggestions/experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

jason
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Do a search here for H&R. They make a coilover as well, that some here are using with success.
    2013 Audi S8

I've only had experience with stock, WORKING DRC and H&Rs.

Nothing compares to a properly working DRC (comfort wise), but i love my new suspension, and the car sits pretty low. At first, i didn't like it, but after two alignments (springs were settling down) i love it.

If you can afford KW/Pss9, go with them, simply because they are dampening adjustable as well.

Quote Originally Posted by audiprotn View Post
    If you can afford KW/Pss9, go with them, simply because they are dampening adjustable as well.
    The stasis are $4k + $100 yearly rebuilding maint per side...

I have driven "special sauce" before it was "sauced" and it was on 20" rims and had the KW's on it = difficult to tell with the 20" undercutting the KW's effects.
    I have driven John's RS with hotchkis and PSS9's = tight new car feel and feedback

I really am pulled to the versitility of the PSS9's with the dial-a-ride but then the "set it and forget it" on the KWv3's also are attractive...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

If you can budget the KWV3s then go for it. If you have stock sized 18s or 19s the ride is a dream.

If you want to budget a quality set of coilovers for 1200 then go for the H/R A6 4.2 set. Many on the forum have these with excellent feedback. (I have not driven a H/R car)

I have driven a PSS Bilstein with stock tires and felt the ride was too harsh. .02c

I finally swapped KWs in my #1 RS6 and I was pounding the table after the install. Why oh why did I wait so long.

If RS#2 ever needs struts I may try the H/R coilover kit. #2 is just the daily for me.

Quote Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
    So ... years ago I replaced the DRC with Stasis-Ohlins .... BUT .. they leak as well, and need occasional re-charging, which is a pain. So I'm considering just replacing them, maybe with KW3's or Bilsteins or such ... looking for some input from the forum. As guidance; I have 127k on the beast, it's my daily driver, and I can't find a good reason to find a replacement car, so I expect to have it for at least another couple of years. I don't track it, but I am a "spirited" driver.

Your suggestions/experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

jason

PSS9'S All day long .. As above fit and forget .
    The H&R Kits are a Bilstein damper with a H&R spring , Bilstein do the B14 ( PSS ) Kit thats the same sort of cost .

Both are very good as a entry level kit .
    www.Unit 20.org
    martin@unit20.org
    Home of all things for the RS6 .....

Thanks to all for your replies/comments. I'm leaning towards the h&r's due cost. Will f/up and throw in my $.02 thereafter.
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Interested to hear your results...
    2013 Audi S8