Thread: Questions about New Navigation/ RNS-E & Seattle Area Install

Questions about New Navigation/ RNS-E & Seattle Area Install

Hi,

I am finally done with earpieces, headphones and 12V adapters. I need a technology upgrade, as I currently have the OEM Bose system in my 2003 RS6.

First Question: Any experience with Aftermarket systems? I looked at the Kenwood and Alpine's. Alpine even has an 8" screen that might work. Any Pics?

I am also Considering the Audi RNS-E's but they are not touch screen and smaller. I was also told by someone that if i just changed the head unit the system would sound worse than it is because of the fact that the OEM deck has some special tuning. Any feedback advice or experience appreciated

Second question.

Who would you trust in the Seattle area to install. Its just swapping out the head unit so Car Toys popped into my head ,, fast and cheap but my level of confidence was not increased after my visit. Anyone have experience with them? Any other suggestions.. limited budget :-)

thanks in advance

bob

Rumor has it Mark is an expert RNS-E installer. I may need to borrow his radio keys as well for my AUX in install.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Bob,

I purchased an RNS-E from Tom Sawyer, who purchased it from ZAWA.
    Mine is a non-Bluetooth-ed one.

I feel the sound is better than the 6disc that was in there, but that is just me.

Mark, hahnmgr63 is an expert installer as he really installed mine, I was just there to help out.

You have some choices though:
    1. RNS-E without Bluetooth but pickup the Fiscon B/T module with streaming A2DP with your phone (for music)
    2. RNS-E with Bluetooth for just phonecalls (no streaming music from your phone)
    3. Bluetooth mod that Ryan (Chung and Tom Sawyer have done)
    4. Aftermarket

Get several sets of Keys - ECSTuning seemed to work well..

Start Passive/Aggressive rant.
    I am STILL waiting for SOMEONE in Florida with the FISCON to call me and/or get a write up about how the FISCON works for him....
    End Passive/Aggressive rant.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

traderf430,

I recently installed a RNS-E purchased from Vagnavs, with the GPS antenna behind the instrument cluster and tapped into the speed wire. It's really not that difficult to install, the hard part is convincing yourself that you can do it. Still going to do an AUX in soon.
    I believe nobody will look after your car like you will so chose to attempt myself - no real problems although it took me about 4 hrs. Second time around will be half the time.

Let me know if you need advice or assistance, I am in town for another 4 weeks.

Daniel
    2003 RS6, Mugello Blue, Wagner IC's, Hotchkis, MTM Bimoto 19", RNS-E

Quote Originally Posted by dcsweet View Post
    ...and tapped into the speed wire.
    This is really necessary as when you are in D/T Seattle or any other slower speed/poor sat reception, you really need the speed sensor input to the RNS-E
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared