Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a Carbon Hood and/or vent inserts

Lightbulb Making a Carbon Hood and/or vent inserts

I poked around but didn't seen anything that appealed to me.

Best I can tell there's maybe one company that makes a carbon hood, but NO vents. The RS6 hood has limited "good" options for installing a vent or cowling, w/o cutting the support braces.

For me that would be the only reason to replace the hood. To get rid of heat. Last summer I opened the hood everyday to vent heat out. It sometimes took 2-3 hours to reasonably cool down (used a IR temp gun to monitor temps).

The heat soak causes very high IAT temps and makes the engine lag until driven for a few minutes. Prolonged heat eventually cooks plastic parts and embrittles wiring. The heat soak also overheats the fuel. The fuel rails are quite large. The list goes on....

I have good manufacturing and business contacts that could come together to make a pro-grade carbon hood (or other parts).

What would you pay for a nice hood or vent inserts? I'm also thinking front fenders to allow bigger wheels...

General thoughts?
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

I think this was done here or tried before? At least the vents..maybe not the full carbon hood. Do a search here for "hood vents"...don't recall if anything ever materialized then...
    2013 Audi S8

I remember a thread about trying to get Vorsteiner to make a vented carbon hood for us, but don't recall if it ever went past the wishful thinking phase.

Quote Originally Posted by bmlee007 View Post
    I remember a thread about trying to get Vorsteiner to make a vented carbon hood for us, but don't recall if it ever went past the wishful thinking phase.
    I am still working on the idea. I basically would have to front the costs and initial order of 5-10 hoods. Re-working the deal now actually. Stay tuned..
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    I am still working on the idea. I basically would have to front the costs and initial order of 5-10 hoods. Re-working the deal now actually. Stay tuned..
    I would definitely be interested. Do you have any preliminary images or price estimates?

Quote Originally Posted by bmlee007 View Post
    Do you have any preliminary images or price estimates?
    It will look like a RS6 hood with vents..and it won't be cheap...
    2013 Audi S8

Thread subscribed. Looking to see what comes of this.

Quote Originally Posted by nene View Post
    Thread subscribed. Looking to see what comes of this.
    same here.....

bakes in Canada had the custom hood vents right? Somebody else has the car now I believe, forget owners name...even getting a used hood to cut on is spendy, would be nice in the summer though! What about water pouring in all winter?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    bakes in Canada had the custom hood vents right? Somebody else has the car now I believe, forget owners name...even getting a used hood to cut on is spendy, would be nice in the summer though! What about water pouring in all winter?
    Water entry is one of main issues to tackle. That's the issue I have with most vented hoods. Maybe vent drain tubes can funnel water onto the intercoolers?
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

I think this might be what you should be shooting for:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/17...shot+hood+vent

Headshot is the previous owner of the car Bakes now owns. He fabbed the hood, among other things on that masterpiece.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

I too am interested in a CF hood. Fenders would be cool I just am un costs. I looked at an S8 CF hood and it was $8k.

Quote Originally Posted by dwarfboy View Post
    I think this might be what you should be shooting for:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/17...shot+hood+vent
    I saw that one (hence, the first statement of my post). I couldn't bring myself to chop it up quite like that.....but maybe it's better than letting the engine cook to death.
    Cheers, G2/Gary

I wanted to bring this thread back to life. Any progress on a carbon hood? Anyone?

I have the vent templates.

We should do this now...we can use the templates and have them formed directly into the hoods. They could be done cheaper if we are not worried about the weave...

Speaking from a bit of experience in getting rid of heat under a hood, I _believe_ that your best bet for return on investment will be:

1) Exhaust wrap - start at the front of the rear cats, wrap all the way up to the headers
    2) Turbo blanket - keep that snail nice and toasty, dump the heat out the exhaust
    3) If you have the under-engine plastic shield, check out the vent mod (more fresh air + angle aluminum to keep debris out)
    and so on...

Way way way way way down at the bottom of the list (dollars spent vs. heat removed) is a vented CF hood

Keep in mind that if you're going to vent the hood itself, you're going to have to duct any water that may come in AWAY from engine block, electrical, etc... and the highest points in the hood (best place to vent heat) are directly above the top of the engine, fuse box, and vac pump. To dump water away, you're going to have to restrict the airflow from venting, kinda counterproductive...

You'd almost be better off venting out the quarter panels - some kind of forced air (smaller, high CFM fan mounted into the inner area of the quarter panel, switched by temp sensor (say, above 130F inside the engine compartment) to blow out through venting in the quarter panels - it'd look a bit ricey, but not as bad as a vented CF hood in my opinion.

Maybe I'm too purist, but I recognize heat soak is a problem, and I don't think a vented CF hood is a very cost effective / effective way of extracting heat from the engine bay. Your opinion may differ, but that's the beautiful thing about opinions

O_E
    #905530 - Brilliant Black on Ebony. Sorted, running strong, ready for a new owner.
    No, I am not the board admin - that's Erik (from Sweden), I'm Other_Erik (from the US)