Thread: Tire size and PSI: a stab at ride quality vs handling

Tire size and PSI: a stab at ride quality vs handling

Hey folks,

Trying to get a feel on what size and type of tires are used, tire pressures, shocks/springs, geographic area, road conditions and driving style.

Could be interesting....
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Quote Originally Posted by G2 View Post
    Hey folks,

Trying to get a feel on what size and type of tires are used, tire pressures, shocks/springs, geographic area, road conditions and driving style.

Could be interesting....

For myself, see size in signature; Front- 38PSI, Rear-36PSI (was higher for all); KW3, Central valley Oregon, mixed roads: very smooth to quite rough (minimal potholes, thankfully); spirited daily driving.

I'm noticing the tire pressure to have the biggest effect on ride quality, after reducing the front pressure from about 42 PSI. Tires tend to flat spot a bit more sitting over night, but not an issue in the warmer weather. Audi recommends 36PSI F/R, and may reduce the front a bit more.

I normally get axle weights and split tire pressure based on actual loads (for example in my Ram3500 Cummins, which is very nose heavy, go with 65PSI Front and 50PSI rear for daily driving or light towing) to help equalize tread contact patch contact areas. Nerdy perhaps, but seems to work well.
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com