Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has we ever discussed the RS6's fuel pump configuration, theory, etc.?

Steve,

i breifly read down through the thread and didn't see this so i figured i would throw it out there.

"if" the a6/s6 and the rs6 share the same or similar tank configuation i believe that the 044 internal pumps will not fit due to being to tall, the largest you can fit i believe in an internal 040 which from what i remember off the top of my head is only good for around 500 ish horsepower or so.

if you are looking to run a different pump and avoid the $900 dealer price tag, i'm sure you could make the Aeromotive A1000 High Flow Pump (for example) work and that pump is capable of supporting 1000 hp on turbo fuel injected cars (this is all assuming that that piece is indeed an aux/second pump outside the tank) and you can get them for ~$350 new.

just some thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by buster0984 View Post
    Steve,
    if you are looking to run a different pump and avoid the $900 dealer price tag, i'm sure you could make the Aeromotive A1000 High Flow Pump (for example) work and that pump is capable of supporting 1000 hp on turbo fuel injected cars (this is all assuming that that piece is indeed an aux/second pump outside the tank) and you can get them for ~$350 new.

just some thoughts.
    The Aeromotive A1000 will only support 1000hp if the fuel supply is higher than the pump, so effectively 0ft head. If it is required to pull fuel from the tank its output drops substantially. This is true for any positive displacement pump. Also the 1000hp is at 20psi fuel pressure, at 4bar it will support 700hp, now add 15psi of boost with the stock 4bar regulator will require 5bar of fuel pressure. At 5 bar the A1000 supports 550ish.

Quote Originally Posted by Injector Dynamics
    With a return system, the base pressure is set with the engine off, but the pump running. For a GM, this pressure is usually set to 58psi (factory fuel pressure in the rail). The vacuum/boost referenced regulator will help to change the pressure in the rail based on the pressure in the manifold. When an engine is idling, it may be pulling 20 inHg of vacuum, which translates to roughly 10psi. The reference to the regulator will allow it to adjust and lower the pressure in the rail to 48psi, resulting in 58psi effective pressure, which is the same as the base pressure. When the engine is making 10psi boost, the regulator will adjust and increase rail pressure to 68psi, again resulting in 58psi of effective pressure. The regulator will constantly bleed off pressure inside of the rail to maintain the same effective pressure at all operating conditions. This helps to prevent a loss of effective pressure during wide open throttle, and also helps to prevent injectors from having to run extremely low pulse widths to fuel at idle. A downfall of return systems is the fact that they circulate fuel through a very hot engine bay, ultimately carrying that heat back into your fuel tank.
    Steve,
    I don't know your full plan but if your looking for a replacement to the external pump IMO your best options would be something like the 034 surge tank or similar. You won't save a ton of money, however your fuel system will never be a worry.

http://www.034motorsport.com/fuel-in...k-p-21527.html

i plan on running the surge tank above in mine. For now I just did a drop in upgrade on the S6 tank. AEM 300lph from 034 as well. Says its good for 700hp. Rather then swapping the complicated RS6 fuel system over Im just gonna think of it like a Stage 3 upgrade in a B5 S4. Just pop a larger pump in and watch the pressure on on the rail when tuning....

PS I had to change my stock S6 pump anyway due to failure
    Current Rides:
    2000 Toyota Celica GT-S Supercharged | 2000 Audi S4 Stage 3 | 2008 Audi TT 3.2 | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant

DO NOT RUN AN A1000. I can tell you from first hand experience that it is loud as hell and huge. I ran one in my rs6 when I switched to e85. Car sounded like a race car and it was so loud inside the car. Totally takes the luxury and sleeper status out of the car all together.

i ended up deleting the in line transfer pump and put 2 aem e85 pumps in the tank. One is wired up normally as the intake pump and the other is wired to the inline pump connections. Works great and super quiet. Pumps are cheap too, only about $100 a piece

I still intend to go with a stock setup to prevent any headaches. Especially with the ECU. The stock external (in-line) pump is a bosch 044 the the ECU sends 10 or 12 VDC to based on load and other conditions, but I'm more interested in having the enclosure that it is housed in because of mounting and sound deadening. The in-tank transfer pump is a high volume low pressure pump. If you research the RS6 setup, there's a suction jet pump that's uses the fuel return to siphon fuel from the driver's side to the passenger side of the tank (it's shaped like a saddle) and I've heard that the wrong in-tank pump can affect this and actually cause insufficient fuel pressure based on how the fuel returns back to the tank.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide