Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has we ever discussed the RS6's fuel pump configuration, theory, etc.?

Has we ever discussed the RS6's fuel pump configuration, theory, etc.?

I'm doing some comparisons to the non-RS6 4.2 single in-tank pump fueling and the RS6's internal and external/transfer pump?

First off, I'm wondering if the actual pumps that are part of the in-tank assemblies are different between these items:

4B0906087BF (RS6)
    4B0906087P (non-RS6 4.2)

After this pump, the RS6 also has a transfer pump (P/N 4B0906089A) that's external to the tank.

From what I can tell, the pumps are in series with the in-tank pump feeding the external pump then through the filter up to the FPR.

Wouldn't the second pump either starve the first pump or cause back pressure to cause premature failure?

Not sure if it's ever been discussed here, but I'm guessing that these pumps have to be matched pretty well in order to not wear out prematurely. With that said, am I asking for trouble if I want to change one of these out to something else or just use one alternative pump?

Adding another monkey wrench to this is that they are both normally running at 10V except when certain conditions make them run at 12V. From what I can tell, both pumps are always at the same voltage, though.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Interesting topic. All I know is that when my fuel light comes on, the pump goes to MAX voltage and gets quite loud, instantly. It should only go to high voltage at or near WOT. If you listen carefully, you can test this yourself, as you can barely hear it as it comes off throttle, then goes quiet. But yes, one more thing to not quite work to spec, then kill itself.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

I thought someone also mentioned that it's at 12V on start-up.

Initially, since the OEM transfer (in-line) pump is like $900 from the dealer, I though it might actually be a surge tank, but the way it's plumbed doesn't suggest that.

I'd like to actually convert the system to a single in-tank pump (need to learn what the sufficient specs need to be) or use the existing in-tank pump (provided the specs on the pump, itself, are sufficient) to feed a surge tank.

Interesting topic. I always wondered about the same thing. Running bigger injectors(72cc) and dual Bosch 044 pumps one in tank and one external all for e85 setup haha jk. I want to know how much lph (liters per hour)the current setup on the rs6 provides, and go from there. as long as you can get a single pump that can flow as much or more lph than stock, i dont see why it cant be converted to a single fuel pump.

Edit: found this interesting read http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/24...ny-suggestions

The link in the linked thread above has the in-line pump at 255 lph.

Do the lph specs use a nominal tube ID, too, as this would affect that number. I'm guessing that there are in line flow meters that can be used to calculate this, but the only on es I can find use 1 - 1.5" ID hose and are $900, so not optimal for automotive applications in many aspects.

Maybe I can hotwire the pumps to a switch and external power supply with 10V and 12V and time them while filling some beakers.

Radium Engineering has some good information and products, too, it seems. http://radiumauto.com

Also, where's the thread with the guy who bought speedtrapped's car ans had to replace the fuel pump and clean the injectors, etc. Wasn't there some specs of the in-tank fuel pump in that thread?

I changed fuel pump on my b5 s4 from stock to 044 Bosch and i didnt have to modify the existing fuel lines, just had to purchase a basket from a8 where the pump can sit. i think ID of 1" is a lil big for fuel pump/fuel line there is a lot of AN adapters to make it work if the inner diameters dont match.

2013 Audi S8

Steve,

Having enough fuel is so over rated. Dont you think?

You could perform a bench test at the full rated voltage to both RS6 pumps then go on the hunt for the proper intank units. Take a fuel line off at the engine and plum something down to a gallon bucket. Time the test to fill the gallon and extrapolate from there.

A beaker may be too small to extrapolate without a large margin of error.

What is the default pressure of the RS6 fuel pressure regulator? You would need to draw the sample after regulator that way to could get the pressure in the calculation.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    The link in the linked thread above has the in-line pump at 255 lph.

Do the lph specs use a nominal tube ID, too, as this would affect that number. I'm guessing that there are in line flow meters that can be used to calculate this, but the only on es I can find use 1 - 1.5" ID hose and are $900, so not optimal for automotive applications in many aspects.

Maybe I can hotwire the pumps to a switch and external power supply with 10V and 12V and time them while filling some beakers.

Radium Engineering has some good information and products, too, it seems. http://radiumauto.com

Also, where's the thread with the guy who bought speedtrapped's car ans had to replace the fuel pump and clean the injectors, etc. Wasn't there some specs of the in-tank fuel pump in that thread?

I seem to recall the RS6 having 3.8bar or 4bar FPR? Thinking the former...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    I seem to recall the RS6 having 3.8bar or 4bar FPR? Thinking the former...
    4 bar...
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's

Quote Originally Posted by V8weight View Post
    4 bar...

..or the latter...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    You could perform a bench test at the full rated voltage to both RS6 pumps then go on the hunt for the proper intank units. Take a fuel line off at the engine and plum something down to a gallon bucket. Time the test to fill the gallon and extrapolate from there.
    I think you see what my ulterior motive is here.

I need to know whether the stock S6 fuel pump and delivery will be sufficient for supplying the RS6 lump.

I've got an S6 tank, lines, fuel pump w/ constant 12V, etc. and there's nothing in common with the RS6 unless the difference in P/N's is code for the flagship tax.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post

From what I can tell, the pumps are in series with the in-tank pump feeding the external pump then through the filter up to the FPR.

Wouldn't the second pump either starve the first pump or cause back pressure to cause premature failure?

Having learn all about fuel system last summer helping a friend build 700+ WHP CTS-V.

The in-tank pump (feeder) is a low/no pressure supply, its sole job is to supply the external pump (pressure) with the fuel it needs to supply the fuel rail.

The internal pump supplies the external pump with (0bar) of fuel pressure, and XXXX LPH.
    The external pump supplies the fuel rail with 4+ bar of pressure, and XX LPH.

Positive displacement pumps need a restriction to create pressure. Since the there is no restriction across the external fuel pump (when its on) the in-tank pump is creating no pressure, just flow.
    Head end also affects a pumps output, the all specs are given with 0ft head end. So because our external pump is being supplied with all the fuel it can drink from the in-tank pump it's head end is 0ft.

There is such a thing as too much fuel flow when it comes to fuel systems. Every time a drop of fuel is compressed it is heated, if you are flowing 500 LPH and the demand is only 100 LPH then 400LPH is being compressed (heated) for nothing. Hot fuel is bad.

To add to the above post. Here is a great link with a ton of fuel pump info http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelpumpguide.htm

You can see in the graphs that a few extra volts makes a sizable difference in output. I would assume that Audi limits pump voltage when the requested lambda = 1 to prevent heating the fuel and/or to minimize the return line size for cost purposes.

Steve,
    If you keep the external pump and the S6 pump has enough flow at 0 pressure (which it should) then you shouldn't have a problem.

PS. Does the edit post expire on this board?

Quote Originally Posted by KWest View Post
    To add to the above post. Here is a great link with a ton of fuel pump info http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelpumpguide.htm

You can see in the graphs that a few extra volts makes a sizable difference in output. I would assume that Audi limits pump voltage when the requested lambda = 1 to prevent heating the fuel and/or to minimize the return line size for cost purposes.

Steve,
    If you keep the external pump and the S6 pump has enough flow at 0 pressure (which it should) then you shouldn't have a problem.

PS. Does the edit post expire on this board?
    Thanks for the link.

The S6 pump has enough flow and pressure to supply the NA 4.2. If I add an external inline pump to this, I might be taxing the in-tank pump because I'm guessing it's not a low pressure hi volume pump as you say the RS6's in tank pump has. If I could find a suitable pump to swap out the in-tank pump, and then add the external pump, this should be enough to mimic what's going on in the stock setup.

In the end, I'm not planning on going any further than stage 1, so ...

See Item 19 in this picture. ETKA calls it a 'junction'. Different part number between the S6 and the RS6, too. Initial thought is that it was part of the fuel return system but could this be a regulator to relieve excess pressure to make the in-tank pump a '0 pressure' pump?

Does the junction piece just distribute the returned fuel to both sides of the fuel tank? If so that could be a difference in the S6 fuel tank compared to the RS6 tank? When I dropped a Motronic 3.6ltr motor with approx 290bhp into my '74 911 RS clone that originally had a 2.7ltr 150bhp motor I was able to use the same fuel pump and all has been fine for over 4yrs now, a bit of track time on it without any fuel starvation. Those two engines are over 15yrs apart as well as the fuel pumps they came with. I think the Bosch pumps supply a good margin, much of the design changes are for fitment. I wouldn't worry about it yet, I would just give it a go and change it later if needed.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

The junction (19) looks to be on the supply side, it's tough to say thou. On the CTS-V there is a similar suction jet, when fuel from the feed pump flows thru the jet it pulls fuel from the non-pump side of the tank. That way both sides empty once the fuel level has dropped below the point that they will gravity transfer.

It looks like the return is feed back into the fuel bucket.

Steve,
    If the S6 pump can supply 300+ hp at pressure, it will be fine as a feeder pump. To be safe i'd have fuel pressure gauge in the car, even if its only for testing.

The problem my friend had was no matter what config the pumps where in, under load the fuel pressure would drop. It turned out that the feed pump was sucking the fuel bucket dry. Once a surge tank was installed he was able to get rid of one of the pressure pumps and both Kenny Bell Boost-A-Pumps. Now it's a Denso in-tank to a Bosch 044 in a surge tank, the return line passes thru the surge and then the surge returns to the tank. That's enough for 700+WHP on a mustang dyno.
    Last edited by KWest; April 5th, 2013 at 18:37.