Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C6 feeler....

C6 feeler....

Anyone friends with a C6 who is planing to upgrade?

My tentative plan is to buy an A6 Avant here in the states. Then buy a C6 RS6 in Europe as some of my friends and I are kicking around the idea of a month vacation touring Europe. I would plan to come pick it up, take it to the ring, run it to stelvio pass and around Europe, then when I'm ready to head home have it disassembled and shipped over in boxes to essentially be reassembled around the A6 vin...I would definitely be open to a Mexican RS6 as well. Or a Canadian(if there are any?)

this is only a feeler and in no way a definite plan. I'm +6 months out from possibly doing anything, but I'm basically doing a feasibility study now. When I make a definite decision I will need to sell my C5. I don't care about miles, and I don't have a good idea of what kind of prices these are going for. A wrecked but mechanically solid car might be a good option too if anyone runs onto one.

This is all prompted by the continued abandonment of the US market. I'm not sold on the looks of the E63 wagon though I do like it more than the RS7. I feel like I could build my dream car with one of my favorite engines of all time for around the same price a new car...maybe I'm way off base. I welcome input from anyone on this topic.
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

I assume you'll insure it as an a6? Just hope you don't ever have a claim.

A tuned c7 s6 will still be faster.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Since I don't understand the rules....why is it so hard to import an RS from the UK....or Germany? I'd love an Avant...and why disassemble and assemble? Why not just swap the VIN on the dash? Just curious.

I can probably help you with the export and conversion.. long story short, starting a new company essentially doing what you are seeking to accomplish. PM me for details, if you want.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Since I don't understand the rules....why is it so hard to import an RS from the UK....or Germany? I'd love an Avant...and why disassemble and assemble? Why not just swap the VIN on the dash? Just curious.
    Because that is a felony and if you ever got in an accident and you vin was not real and didn't match your FMVSS sticker your insurance company wouldn't pay a dime. Also if you injured or killed someone you would get your ass sued off.

The felony part is real.

You could lose 100k in one sweep of the pen.

The headache is not really worth it. The conversion would cost 25k and you could have a botched job.

Enjoy what we have and call it good. When I burn up my two C5 RS6s it will be time for a C7 S8. Granted I got lots of burning to do....Crazy 1 has 40k and Crazy 2 has 34k.

Uh, we could all be sued if we injure or kill someone with a vehicle. Best try not to unless the idjuit has it coming. doh

Quote Originally Posted by UrS6 View Post
    Because that is a felony and if you ever got in an accident and you vin was not real and didn't match your FMVSS sticker your insurance company wouldn't pay a dime. Also if you injured or killed someone you would get your ass sued off.

^^^ all of that. You would have to convert an A6 avant to the new RS6 powertrain and fenders. My partner used to work for GMG and has done many conversions like this. We should have a website and info up shortly, and examples of various swaps and conversions.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

It would be cool to see some projects.

Used C6 RS6 70k
    Used C6 avant 40k
    Tear down and ship C6 RS6 20k
    Build the C6 RS6 on the used US spec A6 30k and up.

160k for a used potentially botched project car. I would buy 6 mint used low mileage C5 RS6s and call it good.

Heck, Im too lazy to convert my C5 S6 avant into a RS6 and decided to just buy another RS6 daily driver instead.

Anyone want a 02 S6 avant/atlas gray

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    ^^^ all of that. You would have to convert an A6 avant to the new RS6 powertrain and fenders. My partner used to work for GMG and has done many conversions like this. We should have a website and info up shortly, and examples of various swaps and conversions.

You wouldn't even have to dismantle it outside of the US. You could receive the whole car via container, etc. and everything could be switched over to a US legal C6 avant. Just be sure that you talk to your insurance company and get the necessary riders or special policy to reflect that the car is modified to CYA to avoid any legal issues if there's an accident and to get you an appropriate replacement value if it were to ever get totaled.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

I understand the felony part. By the time I made such a mess that the insurance company was digging that deep, the fact that the car was illegal would probably the least of my problems.

So import it without an engine like Superformance does with their Cobra and call it a "homebuilt" or "kit car"??

Still don't understand why the rules forbid an import. I guess "just because" was never a good answer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    I understand the felony part. By the time I made such a mess that the insurance company was digging that deep, the fact that the car was illegal would probably the least of my problems.

So import it without an engine like Superformance does with their Cobra and call it a "homebuilt" or "kit car"??

Still don't understand why the rules forbid an import. I guess "just because" was never a good answer for me.
    That's all just NHTSA BS. You can import an 03 RS6 but not an 04. Because DOT/EPA never tested it. But we can all agree it is essentially the same car. You could have a Registered Importer petition to import a C6 Rs6 but it probably would get denied. The RI that I spoke with said most petitions are denied and that Audi NA is not helpful at all in providing the info that you need to provide to NHTSA for conversion. So it's a real uphill battle. Go to NHTSAs website and read about the process. It is pretty clear with about 15 minutes of reading.

The parts swap seems like a good--albeit expensive--alternative. Who here has Euro recaros seats in their cars? Or C6 brakes on their US C5. People have put M5 motors into 3 series BMWs. It's really not that much different and not that big of a deal to swap some parts out in a fully legal US model. I am cautious so I would make sure my insurance company knew about it. But i knew a guy that had an illegally imported euro super sedan that was not only in the country illegally but he drove it around with no insurance or registration. Just slapped some old plates on it. That would scare me.

There is a company here that I know of that does this with Sylvia's and Skylines. You have to have a US 240sx donor car and they import front/rear clips and a complete drivetrain. You really have to hate your money to do these kind of conversions though. Why not just buy an S6 here and then a complete drivetrain overseas and have that installed? That should bolt in I would think.
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

That's all just NHTSA BS. You can import an 03 RS6 but not an 04. Because DOT/EPA never tested it. But we can all agree it is essentially the same car. You could have a Registered Importer petition to import a C6 Rs6 but it probably would get denied. The RI that I spoke with said most petitions are denied and that Audi NA is not helpful at all in providing the info that you need to provide to NHTSA for conversion. So it's a real uphill battle. Go to NHTSAs website and read about the process. It is pretty clear with about 15 minutes of reading.

The parts swap seems like a good--albeit expensive--alternative. Who here has Euro recaros seats in their cars? Or C6 brakes on their US C5. People have put M5 motors into 3 series BMWs. It's really not that much different and not that big of a deal to swap some parts out in a fully legal US model. I am cautious so I would make sure my insurance company knew about it. But i knew a guy that had an illegally imported euro super sedan that was not only in the country illegally but he drove it around with no insurance or registration. Just slapped some old plates on it. That would scare me.
    Several of the US RS6 are VIN-ed as 2004 as are some of the Canadian ones.

Do you mean the legendary RS600?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    It would be cool to see some projects.

Used C6 RS6 70k
    Used C6 avant 40k
    Tear down and ship C6 RS6 20k
    Build the C6 RS6 on the used US spec A6 30k and up.

160k for a used potentially botched project car. I would buy 6 mint used low mileage C5 RS6s and call it good.

IDK what I can ge the RS6 for but this is the top end of A6 I would want to start with:
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=1&Log=0

Not going to waste money on a donor chassis when so much will need to be done anyways. And as long as the car has a clean title then I don't care about wrecks etc. Then hopefully it wouldn't require quite as much labor, in my head I would love just to tack the A6 vin on the RS6 and say I did everything, but it probably isn't that simple....

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    You wouldn't even have to dismantle it outside of the US. You could receive the whole car via container, etc. and everything could be switched over to a US legal C6 avant. Just be sure that you talk to your insurance company and get the necessary riders or special policy to reflect that the car is modified to CYA to avoid any legal issues if there's an accident and to get you an appropriate replacement value if it were to ever get totaled.
    That would seem to be preferable if that would work! That way none of the parts get lost in transit!
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Several of the US RS6 are VIN-ed as 2004 as are some of the Canadian ones.
    They must have been sold as MY2003 cars here by Audi NA. I think the RS6 was sold in 2004 in Canada wasn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by bmwade View Post
    IDK what I can ge the RS6 for but this is the top end of A6 I would want to start with:
    http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...gIndex=1&Log=0

Not going to waste money on a donor chassis when so much will need to be done anyways. And as long as the car has a clean title then I don't care about wrecks etc. Then hopefully it wouldn't require quite as much labor, in my head I would love just to tack the A6 vin on the RS6 and say I did everything, but it probably isn't that simple....

That would seem to be preferable if that would work! That way none of the parts get lost in transit!
    Allright. Whose going to start the list of RS6 specific parts that need to get swapped? It seems it would also be a lot cheaper to wait and find a wrecked RS6 for sale in europe. I would imagine it would save you tens of thousands.

They must have been sold as MY2003 cars here by Audi NA. I think the RS6 was sold in 2004 in Canada wasn't it?
    I don't have the production dates but JSRS6 indicated that his come up as a 2004 each time at the dealer.
    yes, on the Canada @ 2004
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared