Thread: fiberglass hood and trunk lids

fiberglass hood and trunk lids

Hey guys, friend of mine does custom fiberglass parts and im trying to convince him to make me a nice light weight hood and trunk lid for my 03 RS6 (cheaper to shave weight than add HP haha) anyway, he doesnt want to spend the time making molds if hes only going to be making 1 of each for me. So who else would be interested in 1 or both? Also havn't set a price for either yet, nor can i decide what would be a fair price so give me your opinion on that to. If you would have any interest please let me know, my goal is to have these going within the next couple months because id really like them done before july for powercruise (Brainerd international raceway in minnesota) and FYI, im located in cambridge minnesota, thanks!

I don't think you'd be able to do any better than the OEM aluminum hood.

You'd probably not be much lighter on the trunk as well with all the reinforcements necessary for the latch, hinges and license plate surround.

It's going to be a tough sell in CF let alone fiberglass.

Not hatin', just sayin'.

Now if this person wants to start cranking out OEM quality CF front and rear bumpers, sideskirts and spoilers, then I'm sure you'd get some interested non-RS6 C5 owners. . .
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Hi Travis. Welcome to the forum. I have to agree with Steve. The minimal weight reduction that would occur, you would hardly notice anything.

It is much easier (and cheaper) to add hp to these cars. Good tunes go for 500-800 bucks and will net you a 50-80 hp increase, and even more gains in torque.

I live about 90 miles north of you. Maybe we'll meet up at a BIR event!
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

The only benefit I could envision to need or want of a CF hood is the ability to mold in the HEADSHOT venting system he created (now BAKES car).
    The drawback would be the fit/finish for the price.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I'd agree with Ben in that the only reason to go to a different hood would be to add the cooling vents rather than cutting the expensive OEM Aluminum hood. You might save a few pounds off the trunk lid but as Steve said it wouldn't be much after some reinforcement braces and besides, the rear end isn't where you need to loose weight on the car. The front Aluminum Fenders & Hood are pretty light if you've ever had them off.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Thanks for all the replies guys, good to feel welcomed to a new forum. I have yet to meet an audi owner that isnt nicer than the average guy. Well ive only owned my RS6 for a couple months so you'll have to excuse my lack of knowledge compaired to all of you, but have researched as much on it as ive had time for. I guess i was hoping that the weight savings would be more significant, but thats ok. Well maybe we should redirect this into custom hood options? Thats actually how i first started thinking about doing a custom fiberglass hood because cutting the stock one was not going to happen, im not the type to butcher factory peices unless there are spares laying around. Anyone have any ideas/pictures they could post for examples?

The factory Audi hood is an unbelievably light aluminum piece. Should be a crime to cut it. Never had the trunk off., maybe it could use some lightening?
    2013 Audi S8

Travis, sometimes some of us can be a little harsh but don't take it personal. Some have been on here for years and have seen some of the same questions so many times we can't count. Now that the apologies are over show us some pics of your damn car Any mods done or planned? From an Audi past or new to Audi? What other vehicles do you have? And Welcome to the Crazy Train.
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA

Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    The only benefit I could envision to need or want of a CF hood is the ability to mold in the HEADSHOT venting system he created (now BAKES car).
    The drawback would be the fit/finish for the price.
    This...

Welcome to the board, now about tuning your car, cheers.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I'd like a fiberglass or CF intake that I could pair with a cut A6 4.2 cut hood to modify the intake. Maybe a NACA scoop or similar.

I'll try to get some pictures up tonight, my android phone and this forum dont seem to be getting along for profile editing or uploading pictures. Bought the car in late november from another guy who was a member on here (no clue what his screen name was though). I had a 2003 A4 before the RS6 (quite the transition i know lol) the A4 was my first Audi and i quickly realized i was always going to be driving one from then on. Only had the A4 for 23 days before i smoked a doe doing almost 70. Car was totalled, i was fine and 3 days after i got the check from the insurance company i bought the Beast. Currently completely stock, 99k miles. Options; warm weather, cold weather, and enhanced sound packages. Nothing i own stays stock though so your advice for where to start on a fresh car would be greatly appriciated. The RS6 is the only Audi currently in the driveway, however i do have a 1968 Chevy K20, and a 1979 caprice 2 door "aerocoupe" (my first car) parked along side it. K20 has a built 350, corporate 14 bolt swap, and a dana 44 up front with disc brakes. Caprice has a built 305, long tube headers w/ 2" dual exhaust, duel plane intake, msd ignition, and a built TH350 tranny. However i dont think im ever going to be able to go back to small block chevys after i get to building this car

Before anything else, please update your location so others know where in the world you are located.

I would suggest maintenance before mods.

Check/change brake rotors, pads.
    Change oil and filter.
    Change coil packs and spark plugs, but don't drop anything down the "rabbit holes"
    Check Control Arms and that fun lovin' DRC for leaks or weeping.

Hopefully the Prior Owner gave you some records of what has been done/not done as far as service.

And to reply to all the other comments; 4everRS, put any thought into going to powercruise? July 12-14, $80 for the weekend if you register online before the end of the month or i beleive its 150 at the gate. Open road course for the whole weekend :-) and lots of other events while the road course is closed (drifting, stunt bikes, 1/4 mile) all included for the $80. Oh and i forgot a detail about my RS, wood trim :'( and just to let you guys know, Im a full time machinist and only live about 10 minutes from the shop. If any of you have any ideas for custom parts let me know, my shop rate on custom parts is virtually nothing, i do it for fun, id like to think i'll be of some value around here :-)