Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new Beast. I think.....

Digression... the flat bottom wheels have 2 stage air bags which wont plug up. We have single stage airbags. FWIW.

Mike, did you modify the gearshift surround trim? or use original TIP trim?
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

are you sure it's 1 stage airbag? i mean, my '01 330i had a 2 stage airbag so i guess an '04 RS6 should be 2 stage as well, i remember that when i removed the steering the connector was similar to the one i had on my BMW...
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Maybe someday when I get a RNS-E, I can use the paddles to change songs on my iPod?

I used the console cover and silver trim that came with my manual shifter. it was kinda scratched..you know...being bounced around a junkyard for who knows how long. I covered it with that sticky back carbon fiber tapey crap. Looks good on a walk by...but don't stare. These parts are a little different and the plastic holder for the leather boot wouldn't line up exactly, so I went this route. probably could make it fit someday..but not this someday. Also, it's missing the "notch" that the RS6 has, so the ashtray hangs up a little. I will definitley fix this.
    2013 Audi S8

I was wondering if it's possible to make a filler piece to install in place of the paddles? Didn't someone on the forum design aluminium paddles? Can anyone confirm if these paddles match the contour of the indentations in the steering wheel? If so, then it might not be a big jump to make some filler pieces.

BTW, I like to use the metal bezel/surround that was available on some B5 C5 manuals. It's a clean look and allows for variances in the 'clearancing' of the automatic surround.

Using a matching alcantara shift boot is also a nice touch. Sorry for small pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alcantara_boot.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	13524
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

With some electronic glue it should be fairly easy to make the paddles control the RNS-E. If I remember right the paddles are simple momentary switches that go through the T17m blue connector. Then you just need to have something that emits an infotainment CANbus message when the contacts close.

A harder problem is what to do with those OnStar buttons... it bugs me that there are buttons and LEDs in my car that don't do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by mik15 View Post
    are you sure it's 1 stage airbag? i mean, my '01 330i had a 2 stage airbag so i guess an '04 RS6 should be 2 stage as well, i remember that when i removed the steering the connector was similar to the one i had on my BMW...
    Yes, all C5's are stage 1.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    I was wondering if it's possible to make a filler piece to install in place of the paddles? Didn't someone on the forum design aluminium paddles? Can anyone confirm if these paddles match the contour of the indentations in the steering wheel? If so, then it might not be a big jump to make some filler pieces.

BTW, I like to use the metal bezel/surround that was available on some B5 C5 manuals. It's a clean look and allows for variances in the 'clearancing' of the automatic surround.

Using a matching alcantara shift boot is also a nice touch. Sorry for small pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alcantara_boot.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	13524
    Interesting. I'll dig around for more info on this retrofit.

Quote Originally Posted by kday View Post
    With some electronic glue it should be fairly easy to make the paddles control the RNS-E. If I remember right the paddles are simple momentary switches that go through the T17m blue connector. Then you just need to have something that emits an infotainment CANbus message when the contacts close.

A harder problem is what to do with those OnStar buttons... it bugs me that there are buttons and LEDs in my car that don't do anything!
    There is an aftermarket bluetooth module which utilizes the defunct OnStar buttons. Let me know if you need link and I'll search through my notes.

As far as the paddles controlling RNS-E... hmm. This would be excellent. Pondering...

Sorry for the thread jack there, Kyle.

So back to your purchase options... the C5 Plus is on the approved import list. I bet you could get one into the country with under 50K miles including import and emissions conversion costs for under $40K. And, it would be worth nearly that sitting here on US soil fully federalized? Recaros...

Or, buy your old car back and then start with adding this? ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Karosse-Karo...item256fa576ac

Quote Originally Posted by alrightroad View Post
    There is an aftermarket bluetooth module which utilizes the defunct OnStar buttons. Let me know if you need link and I'll search through my notes.

As far as the paddles controlling RNS-E... hmm. This would be excellent. Pondering...
    I have it in my car. It streams music from my phone, I can speak text messages, voice dial, etc. It works great and uses the onstar.

SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    No. I was refering to the Costar Bluestar that uses the onstar buttons. I don't have RNS-E

Quote Originally Posted by alrightroad View Post
    Sorry for the thread jack there, Kyle.

So back to your purchase options... the C5 Plus is on the approved import list. I bet you could get one into the country with under 50K miles including import and emissions conversion costs for under $40K. And, it would be worth nearly that sitting here on US soil fully federalized? Recaros...

Or, buy your old car back and then start with adding this? ... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Karosse-Karo...item256fa576ac

The problem with that is you would still need to federalize it. There is no FMVSS sticker on the door jamb and if you got in an accident your insurance co. would probably not pay a dime. Obviously, swapping all of the components from a US car would solve effectively federalize it but as I understand it the car would still need to go to a Registered Importer to apply for approval. You can't do it on your own and you wouldn't be able to get the Part 565 VIN replacement label for the windshield VIN or the FMVSS sticker without an RI. Are there any US sedan shells out there? Then someone could swap the RS600 over to a US chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    I am on the lookout for a different RS6 as mine will be taken by the insurance company after my deer hit.

There are a few options out there. I am just torn between wondering if I should look for something already tuned/modified. I am kind of leaning the direction of unmolested, so I can do it to her, then creating exactly what I want and know how the work had been done.

Just looking for discussion here. If you've got one for sale, sell me on it. You never know. But keep in mind, I can be picky.
    Hi 4everRS. I read the whole thread “Went deer hunting by accident” – a heartbreaking story. Knock wood, I’ve never had such an experience. My wife nearly totaled a car 30 years ago, but a long time in the shop was the only cost.

I write mainly because I have an unmolested RS6 I recently decided to sell. It is completely stock and has 64,500 miles. I am the third owner and have a Carfax showing that. I also have service records back to October 2007. I will send you all the pictures you want and all the documents I have and answer all your questions. If you want to go “unmolested” and if you are interested, please e-mail me at curtis944 (at) yahoo (dot) com.

Well guys, I'm back in the fold. Feeling much better. I'll pick up the car in mid march, after a little work is done.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

What car?
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Well guys, I'm back in the fold. Feeling much better. I'll pick up the car in mid march, after a little work is done.
    Yes, do tell but please don't tell us it has FMIC and it can "breaff" and has pink carbon mirrors.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    Yes, do tell but please don't tell us it has FMIC and it can "breaff" and has pink carbon mirrors.
    Not yet, but I can help him get it dressed up....
    Pat - Eisenmann race exhaust, Catless downpipes, KW V3's, H-Sport sways, 034 Control arms, Apikol diff mount, Sterns motor mounts, Forge dv's, Stainless brake lines, Venair hoses, Sportec vent mod, Euro tails, Viper Tuned ecu/tcu, DPE S20's 19x9.5, 275/30/19's