Thread: I NEED a core support, please help if you can.

I NEED a core support, please help if you can.

Hi everyone. Some may know I hit a deer a while back. The repair is requiring a new core support. The shop and I both are having a frustrating time locating one of these for the C5 RS6. Apprarently, there are none of these in the US and on backorder from the factory in Germany. No one is giving any ETA's and I want to drive my car again.

The part number is 4B3805588E. I would very much appreciate anyone able to help me locate this part.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Good luck Kyle. I remember my repairs taking about a month in the summer of 2010. i think a couple weeks of that was waiting on parts, including this one.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Just called Andrew at Impex. He said 5-7 days. Don't know if you tried them yet.

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genu...er_217079.html

Aside from the S6 and 2 RS6's???
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Any luck, Kyle????
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post
    Any luck, Kyle????
    Not yet. Getting pretty frustrating.

Tip of the year: DON'T break your core support.

Right now, I'm at square 1. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Just called Andrew at Impex. He said 5-7 days. Don't know if you tried them yet.

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genu...er_217079.html
    I called them. They don't have one. Order from Germany, "oh wait, looks like they're on backorder"

Ouch- I know your pain...and I think we are all in for some mo of that pain as these cars age or need repairs..
    210K miles rolled

Is this the same part from the A6? i know no one wants to hear the "S" word but salvage yard?

ALSO, YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY VOLKSWAGON. I bought a manual shifter for my swap, and a piece was broken. I called every Audi dealer I could find and got nothing...couldn't even get it. My cousin was gonna make it for me, and stumbled into his local VW dealer on his way to the shop and lo and behold, they had 6 in stock!!! Call VW and give them the part number..that's all they need to cross the part.

and as an FYI..if you google that part number...it DOES come up as a VW number...
    2013 Audi S8

I am with TTboost. There might be a cross over fitment with very minor changes on the other C5's. Kyle, you have ETKA, right?
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

Thanks guys. The rs6 has a unique core support. The other c5 supports don't 2 electric fans, and there are reliefs of some kind for the IC's.

I will check a vw dealer. Yep, I have ETKA

One thing I noticed when I was doing my timing belt was that the plastic core support looked like it was modified by hand. On one side, the air intake is molded in. On the other side it appeared to have been reworked by hand, with metal riveted in. My assumption was that the mold makes a support for the base V8 configuration and Hans has to modify it for the RS manually. If that is the case then maybe you could modify one from an A6 4.2 or S6.

Quote Originally Posted by kday View Post
    My assumption was that the mold makes a support for the base V8 configuration and Hans has to modify it for the RS manually. If that is the case then maybe you could modify one from an A6 4.2 or S6.
    Totally agree!

Too funny! Kyle and I discussed this exact possibility on the phone Monday evening... Unfortunately, his car is still 100% fully assembled. Otherwise, an up close side-by-side comparision of a RS6 vs V8 core support would yeild the differences. And, would give the repair facility the confidence and option to mod a C5 V8 support to get this project roll'n.

Here are some pics pulled from Ebay... C5 V8 are the two on the left, RS6 on the right. I know it's a PITA, but when all four pics are magnified, saved, and either full-page printed or each opened in a seperate window on a large hi-res monitor, it seems (to my untrained eye anyway) the core moulds are the same. And, as KDAY suggested, differences are likely mod'd by hand---by Han's, of course.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqJ,!lgFC2frsj(8BQ7YeTQ8(Q~~60_3.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	13474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqZ,!qoFDk0+SpffBQ7YeSUvFg~~60_3.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	13475Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$T2eC16dHJGwE9n)yUsf4BQMl7L5PWg~~60_58.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	13476Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$T2eC16NHJIYE9qUcM8BHBQMl7g)oZw~~60_58.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	13477
    Last edited by 4.2Crew; January 17th, 2013 at 13:33.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l