Thread: Engine Pull coming; (An interesting 2 months)

Engine Pull coming; (An interesting 2 months)

Last 9 November, I was hit in the rear by a woman who I am sure was texting (clear daylight, dry pavement). Fortunately, it was in traffic, I was moving, so the differential speed wasn't great, maybe 7 or 8 mph. She hit me straight on in her Geo Metro, which was key because it is low in the front, moreso when panic braking as she was when she looked up (from her IPhone) and saw me there. I slowed because the truck in front of me didn't want to run over a paper bag that had blown into the road.

Her car was disabled, with coolant leaking from somewhere, though the engine was still running. Her hood was bent up as well. For my part, the rear bumper showed that she had hit me. The boot (trunk) lid was unscathed; in fact the only other evident damage was the left tailpipe was slightly bent down from the panel above. Both of my tailpipes had been perfect prior, as had everything else on the car. But my car was still perfectly driveable, with only apparent rear bumper damage.

A key to the story is that about 2 hours later my check engine light illuminated. It had never done so before.

Her insurance accepted responsibility (seems obvious, but not always so). The body shop had a look, did the work, and $2400 later in parts and labor, I looked good. BUT, the check engine light needed diagnosing.

And the answer? The right side oxygen sensor was bad! Apparently there was the slightest movement of the exhaust in the collision. On the left side, there is sufficient room for a slight bump with no ill effect. Or maybe the bend that was fixed took all the energy. On the right, the oxygen sensor in the exhaust abuts very near to the transmission, with no room to move without being ruined. NOTHING else on the exhaust shows even the slightest anomaly, and I told them that perfection was my standard.

So the insurance company for the other driver is now about to be saddled with the cost of an engine pull for replacement of the oxygen sensor on the right. Can't be done any other way. Too bad for them. Leave your phone in your purse!!

For my part, I am arranging for all the usual engine out maintenance items to be done while I have the chance, including but not limited to all oxygen sensors, exhaust temp sensors, valve cover gaskets, the leak prone coolant tube that some smart engineer has upgraded (already have that waiting) and so forth. Thanks to search, I have that handled as far as what to get done. I also have the Wagner intercooler upgrade sitting waiting in the garage. Might as well do that now also. I will pay for all that other stuff on a separate work order.

The ONLY question is this: Would you take a torque converter that has never shown any evidence of failure out and send it to Tozo for rebuild preventatively? I am inclined to do so, partly because I only live about 2 hours from Chicago? It is super easy to get at it while the engine is out, obviously, but would require another engine pull to do later. I am around 50,000 miles now, if that makes any difference. I also change the ATF yearly, no matter the mileage.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

^I would rebuild the TC at this opportune time- It is ticking....My less than .03 worth
    210K miles rolled

the Germans have a saying, "if it's not broken than don't fix it" , if i were you i would definitely think of doing it, but then again i am sure you have a warranty, as i've seen it's very common in US, so when the TC fails have the warranty to pay for a new gearbox as well!
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Yes, I would go for the TC change given all the work involved in getting the engine out in the first place. I would also get a core TC that is used around the forum to get a new one ready to go when the engine comes out. Its no fun holding up a shop while you send a TC out for rebuild. Parts are all over the place and things can get lost. Have one done and ready to go ahead of time. I would also consider the new Audi replacement TC as a good option as well.

Or just buy an Ace TC ready to go...
    2013 Audi S8

What was the CEL code?
    05 Cayenne turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Yes, I would go for the TC change given all the work involved in getting the engine out in the first place. I would also get a core TC that is used around the forum to get a new one ready to go when the engine comes out. Its no fun holding up a shop while you send a TC out for rebuild. Parts are all over the place and things can get lost. Have one done and ready to go ahead of time. I would also consider the new Audi replacement TC as a good option as well.
    All good, but how could you recommend an Audi TC that is known to be weaker than upgrade from ace or others?

Yep, having all the parts makes it easier for everyone. I brought my car in the day the Tozo rebuilt trans showed
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I said I would also consider the Audi TC. If it were me I would install the Audi TC. It has been updated over the years and not everyone has problems. My OE unit has lasted 9 years without a hitch and my car is not stock. Known to be weaker is a subjective opinion. Let us check back on these ACE torque converters in 9 years and see how they do.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    All good, but how could you recommend an Audi TC that is known to be weaker than upgrade from ace or others?

Yep, having all the parts makes it easier for everyone. I brought my car in the day the Tozo rebuilt trans showed

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    What was the CEL code?
    Don't recall what the exact code was (Dealer tech will know) but it was specific to an intermittent exhaust O2 sensor issue on the right side.

There have been no trans related codes, but I am thinking strongly I should replace the weak trans torque converter components with better, since the engine and transmission must be removed to fix the fault that was found. No, to those who thought so, I don't have extended warranty. The engine is coming out at another's expense because the bad sensor was caused by the minor rear end collision. Amazing that nothing else was damaged. Since this will (hopefully) be the first and only time for an engine out service, I plan to have all the things done now. Hence the torque converter and transmission discussion.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

if you do not have an extended warranty, as i thought since is very common in US, then you should definitely to these things including the TC. Now regarding the vs issue between ACE and OEM one it's kind of tricky, TBH from what i red on different sites i've come to a personal conclusion that most of the TC replaced with ACE led to gearbox failure later on and i am assuming that is caused due to a stronger TC which doesn't slip as much as the stock one was designed to in order to protect the gearbox, and that combined with an already used gearbox leads to failure of the tranny! This is my theory, and when installing an ACE TC it's better to also rebuild the gearbox, if going with an OEM one i think it should be ok. Time will tell, i have a TC error and will soon change the converter with an OEM one, will see what will happen, i am willing to take the risk for now!

Can't comment on different tranny outcomes resulting from using rebuilt stock vs Ace torque converters... But, if faced with an engine pull TODAY due to drive train failure, I'd go with a OEM rebuilt torque converter with a rebuilt tranny from Tozo. Both are rebuilt using updated components. ....I'm ok dropping $6000 every 100k miles on a 530hp rare luxury sports sedan that cost me $25k. Still one of the best performance/luxury values to be had. IMHO!
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

i would do the same if Tozo would be living in the same country with me , since he doesn't want to move to Dubai maybe i can at least convince him to come here for a vacation and could work on my spare gearbox in the weekend (maybe Tozo reads this )

Spend the $3500 and have Tozo do both tc and trans. Even if Audi is making a better tc (anyone have proof of this?), i do have some fear of their parts after my power steering fiasco, and others stories of bad tc and trans from Audi. Granted anybody can make a mistake rebuilding either of these, but i tend to stand with the smaller builders, figuring they care more about product and reputation.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by mik15 View Post
    i would do the same if Tozo would be living in the same country with me , since he doesn't want to move to Dubai maybe i can at least convince him to come here for a vacation and could work on my spare gearbox in the weekend (maybe Tozo reads this )
    Sure Tozo can arrange shipping