Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: RS6 Owner Demographics

wearing full armor seriously reduces - but does not prevent - injuries from inevitable crashes. I was thrown off my Ducati at 70mph in July, hit the road hard and tumbled. I rode home, then went to the ER the next morning. Three broken and displaced ribs, and water on the knee from bruising (my knee hit first). Not a scratch or bruise anywhere else on my body, and the ER doctors could not believe that I got away with just broken bones from a crash at that speed; the trauma physician told me at those speeds patients generally suffer permanent injuries.

the ribs were a pain to heal from (not the first time I've broken ribs) so it wasn't a mild accident. for two months I was cursing the hard suspension ride I had set up in my RS6, as the bumps would jar my healing ribs with some pretty sharp pains! but I know a guy who lost control of his bike on the highway last month wearing a riding jacket and helmet only, and his sneakers flew off and the chain ate his foot up real good. they screwed it together with a pretty impressive amount of hardware, but it's not taking, and he's scheduled for a below-the-knee amputation in three weeks.

my dad, as a physician, isn't particularly a fan either of me riding; one of his partners in his practice wrecked with his wife when they were in medical school, and while he recovered, she was paralyzed from the waist down. Because of that incident, he chose his specialty - physical medicine and rehabilitation.

but the riding gear, if you're willing to invest a few thousand dollars into it, is pretty impressive these days. my boots are designed to prevent torsional forces on the ankle. my knee armor took a blow that should have shattered my knee. my gloves are half carbon fiber and have wrist supports to reduce the severity of a wrist injury. hell, there's even a support to reduce the chance of breaking your pinkie finger and padded stingray leather on the palms. my spine is protected down to the coccyx, and there are even clavicle protectors. kevlar and kangaroo leather has kept me from ever scraping my skin. airbag suits are used by racers but are still a couple years away from street use (due to the sensors required for deployment).

what's not covered: I don't always ride with a sternum plate, and I don't use a cervical brace to prevent hyperflexion of the neck (neck injuries in street riding are extremely rare, but common in extreme off-road motocross riding).

my bikes are also equipped with some very bright lighting. Harley riders will claim that "loud pipes save lives", but what really helps drivers see you is lighting, not sound.

it's also notable just what kind of equipment comes on bikes these days. my Ducati is pretty old, so it's not forgiving of any rider errors. my BMW however, is both the most powerful superbike on the market, and carries the most comprehensive electronic safety package. ABS is standard on BMWs, and my bike has a pretty sophisticated traction control system that can strongly reduce the chance of losing control on slick pavement. Three gyroscopes measure lean angle and if the front or rear wheel is lifting, and the engine cuts power accordingly. For years only BMW offered such safety equipment on their bikes, but other makes are beginning to offer these systems as well.

it takes a good 10 minutes to gear up before riding, and it's very hot during the summer to wear all this armor. but it definitely reduces the risk of dying (not crashing) from the body shutting down from multiple injury trauma.

and I am an organ donor btw. it's not the safest mode of transport, but with the right gear and some common sense, the odds of dying are about 20% higher than driving a car. not everyone is comfortable with such odds, but I am.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

I am also a motorcycle dragracer and landspeed racer and an organ donor. I thought it might have been a phase in my early 20's, but nope...I have been riding since single digits and have been racing since I've been an adult and likely will continue to. While you risk your life just getting out of bed every day, I realize I significantly increase that risk by swinging my leg over my bikes. However, I rarely have the time to street ride anymore, and only race once or twice a month now, so maybe I am slowing down a bit...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by papadoc View Post
    It's not if you dump your bike, it's when and what happens. ...
    I had a 1995 Ducati 916 with Termignoni pipes, carbon open clutch and magnesium marchesinis on it. It wasn't the fastest out there but it sure was fun and scary at the same time.
    I dumped it twice (once without leathers at 5mph in a sand covered intersection, once with leathers on Mesa Grande on a decreasing radius and nearly went off a cliff)
    With the ability to lane split in California, when I was on the bike on the freeway it was like I was instant a$$hole.
    It was only a matter of time before something serious would have happened to me.

The two best things I did with that bike:
    1. two track days at Willow Springs (little track and big track)
    2. selling it.

I keep thinking of getting another 916 but my sense of staying alive for my daughters is more overpowering.
    If I get another bike, it will be a 4 stroke thumper dirt thereby eliminating the jackwagon that is texting while eating a hotdog and using his/her knee to steer.

QUEUE BENMAN - he has motorcycle stories.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Age 56 for a while longer. Anesthesiologist in Indiana. I have given many anesthetics for cardiac transplant. Most donors here in the Midwest aren't from motorcycle wrecks; many more are plain old subarachnoid hemorrhage

Motorcycles are one of the three prohibitions in my marriage; extra "girlfriends", motorcycles, and light airplane pilot. If I could get a pass for any of them, it would be the airplane. I should have finished the private pilot license BEFORE I was married.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

my wife supports my habits, as long as the necessities are paid for first. extramarital girls are forbidden of course, and she'd prefer if I didn't tune another Skyline, but otherwise she's cool, which is why she's my wife. there was a woman who wasn't so open minded; she's called my "ex-wife"

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    I had a 1995 Ducati 916 with Termignoni pipes, carbon open clutch and magnesium marchesinis on it. It wasn't the fastest out there but it sure was fun and scary at the same time.
    I dumped it twice (once without leathers at 5mph in a sand covered intersection, once with leathers on Mesa Grande on a decreasing radius and nearly went off a cliff)
    With the ability to lane split in California, when I was on the bike on the freeway it was like I was instant a$$hole.
    It was only a matter of time before something serious would have happened to me.

The two best things I did with that bike:
    1. two track days at Willow Springs (little track and big track)
    2. selling it.

I keep thinking of getting another 916 but my sense of staying alive for my daughters is more overpowering.
    If I get another bike, it will be a 4 stroke thumper dirt thereby eliminating the jackwagon that is texting while eating a hotdog and using his/her knee to steer.

QUEUE BENMAN - he has motorcycle stories.
    my Ducati ST4 has a 916 motor; it's a cranky little thing, isn't it? it's a bear to work with under 20mph, and if you do something silly to trigger the massive engine braking, you might just send yourself flying off the bike if the fishtailing rear tire hits something like wet grass (one major factor in my July wreck).

but it's a superbike motor for a reason, and it certainly isn't slow!

Quote Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
    my Ducati ST4 has a 916 motor; it's a cranky little thing, isn't it? it's a bear to work with under 20mph, and if you do something silly to trigger the massive engine braking, you might just send yourself flying off the bike if the fishtailing rear tire hits something like wet grass (one major factor in my July wreck).

but it's a superbike motor for a reason, and it certainly isn't slow!
    It was ALWAYS happy at around 4500-5500 rpm's when the Desmodronics really started to work.
    It would buck like you said when you were under 20 mph.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Ahh yes bikes. I have been riding in some form or fashion for the better part of 35 years. I still ride on the street however I have stopped communting on my bike for the most part due "other" drivers. I am a believer in the graduated license system that we lack in North America - there are lots of opinions with regards to aviation and motorcycles some true some not. The "it's not if, it's when and how bad" perception is certainly more likely when driving inside cities.

Personnally I believe that you have to weigh your risks, understand them, mitigate that risk when possible, and then enjoy life.

44, I help keep the cloud up and running for a big software company, obviously have a ’03 RS6, also have a ’78 Porsche 911SC and rent a ’92 BMW 325is on the weekends (http://www.pro3-racing.com/) I am think of building one next year. Oh and the wife has a Ford Explorer (our 3rd,yes they are that popular).
    For the bike tangent, I had a Yamaha Seca 650 Tubro in college. No bike needs a turbo…
    Daily Driver = 2003 Audi RS6 - Stock
    Weekender = 1978 Porsche SC - Stock

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFisherAJC View Post
    No bike needs a turbo…
    Respectfully disagree...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	08 Turbo Project.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	13309
    2013 Audi S8

OK.. i see.. cars will only cost a penny in the US of A.. a few gallons of gas also..

Here in the Netherlands its very expensive.., an RS6 for example did cost 130.000 euro's back in 2004 (a 2010 RS costs 170k).. and dont speak about the fuel prices, 1,70 euro's a liter.

Iam 32 at the moment, self-employed, owning a complete overhauled S6 to RS6, ONLY the atmospheric V8+tranny is still under the bonnet, for the rest EVERYTHING is RS6.
    I drive the car only when i don't drive my 97-VW Caddy. Also own a '79 VW LT Cartransporter-chassis, two Audi Type 85 Coupe's with a five cyl. an Audi Type44 100 Avant turbo quattro and an Audi V8 DTM EVO replica on the racetrack..
    My wife drives a Stage 1 tuned Seat Leon 2L TFSI 265bhp.

Ok, since I officially just got my RS6, I will revive this thread. I'm 45, Federal Employee- Registered Nurse at a VA Hospital. I work ER/Trauma and ICU. The RS6 is my Daily Driver.

56, married, one son, partner in a global ship brokerage company (oil tankers). Bought my RS6 "new" in 2004 (leftover), 125k this month. Like FlyFisherAJC, I also have a Porsche 911SC ('79 Targa). Wife drives a '04 Honda CRV. 12" of snow due here today - have my beast at the ready with snows mounted ... now just need to worry about clearance (lowered on StaSis MS). Drive safe
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

Dentist, husband, father of 2 young girls,
    Friend of Ben916
    03 RS6
    06 Grand caravan
    01 Audi Allroad
    93 Audi 100CS
    86 Audi5000cstq
    74 Bronco
    72 Cougar XR7 Convertable
    70 Opel GT
    next on list
    68 Firebird conv
    64 Falcon
    Mugello RS6,sound enhancing exhaust,solar sunroof,Platinum Coverage,Eurocharged ECU,MTM TCU ,TC, PSS9, Hotchkis front and rear,EBC Reds, Sportec vents,ACES IV,Fuel tank replaced.

25. Marketing Officer and Real Estate Development. Cars: '03 RS6, '05 S4 Cabriolet, '00 S4, '01 A6 2.8, and a '13 Camaro Convertible; picked up back in October after nearly a year-long wait (RS5 was another option, but that fell through with the dealer). I've been contemplating about getting another RS6 since 2005, and with prices the way they are now, I might do that relatively soon (I'm currently preparing to sell my S4 Cab to clear up some garage space).
    2003 RS6, 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible, 2005 S4 Cabriolet, 2000 S4, & 2001 A6 2.8

Thanks, bmwade, for starting this thread – I find these demographics and stories fascinating!

I am a new member to the site. I am 68 years old – which I believe makes me the oldest U.S. resident member and maybe the oldest period. Jimmy Joe of Mexico City also reported on this thread as being 68. I wonder which of us is older?

But I digress (age related problem!). I am a retired I.T. executive – been retired for 10 years. So what I do is play tennis 4 times a week. The RS6 is my only car. My wife has a Toyota RAV4.

In the past, I had a 1988 Porsche 944 Turbo “S” edition. Had rollbar, dual Recaro racing seats, dual 5-point harnesses, etc. I did high performance driver instruction for the Porsche Club for 20 years and estimate I’ve been around various race tracks to the tune of 20,000 miles.

I also had a 1981 Pontiac Trans Am – yes, the “Smokey and the Bandit” “Bird Car” – black with the gold bird on the hood and gold honeycomb wheels.

The Porsche was my first mid-life crises. My second was a Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6. Learned that several of my fellow Porsche instructors were former bikers, even racers, and decided to expand my motoring skills by getting the “motorcycle endorsement” on my drivers license. After some of my track experiences, I was a very, very cautious biker. Mainly did country roads and never had any kind of incident. Of course, I’ve had a bunch of vehicles for transportation, but nothing significant.

I am 27 years old, I own a used car dealership & repair shop. I have an '03 RS6, '01.5 custom pearl white B5 S4 fully built RS6 turbo'd, '01 blk/blk B5 S4 stage 2+, '07 Kawasaki ZX-10R Special edition, '93 civic bubble h22/h23 big turbo, '96 cherokee sport, '05 Toureg V8 to tow any of them with and a few other beaters when i want to just have fun.
    they call me Tank

Ok, here we go...i am 32, originally from Europe, but for the last 2.5 years working in Abu Dhabi, got married a couple of years ago and one baby boy on the way . I've had various BMW and Audi cars since graduated Law School and became financially independent, and the RS6 was definitely my dream car which came true! Currently driving the RS6 and a '04 VW Phaeton as a daily drive. A few ex. cars, '01 Audi A6 2.5TDI, '02 Audi A6 2.5TDi Quattro, BMW 318i, 330i, Merc. SLK, Jaguar X-type and others...
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast