Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letter to AoA for review

Letter to AoA for review

Folks,

I mentioned a couple weeks ago that I would be sending a letter to AoA. Below is a draft for this correspondence. It has a somewhat terse tone on purpose..to be candid, I am pissed. Please PM me with your constructive comments..not looking for a ton of wordsmithing, but constructive thoughts that could add value.

Also, Erik please let me know if we are out of line, or if you don't want the RS6.com name in the letter.

My goal is to deliver this in person at there AoA headquarters here in Herndon.

************************************************** ************************************************** *******

December 5th, 2012
    Dear AoA,
    It was with baited breath that each of us here in the United States and Canada read the introduction of the new 2014 RS6 Avant to the world (article dated December 4th, 2012 and attached for reference). It would appear from follow on responses supplied to the press, once again, the North American market is being left in the cold.
    We the following, represent the forgotten RS6 ownership here in North America. Only delivered in 2003, and subsequently 2004 in Canada, many of us have been faithful RS6 owners either from new, or from close to new. Some of us have owned two or three of them, over the last 10 years.
    We are the heart and soul of twin turbo - eight cylinder Audi ownership. We were the first with DRC, we were the first with massively oversized eight piston brakes, we were the first with ZF transmissions not quite up to the task to take on the massive torque delivered by these wonderful vehicles. We lived with EGT sensors that required the removal of the block to change. We ARE the RS pioneers! And yes, we all still own and love them.
    For the last 10 years……we have waited. We have waited with the hope that Audi of America will listen to its customer base. Waited with the hope that AoA would read our emails, answer our many phone calls, and finally we have waited for AoA to do the ‘right thing’.
    We want, we need, no we deserve the 2014 RS6. Furthermore, we need the Avant! Now that Mercedes had announced the 2014 E63 AMG 4matic Wagon will be delivered to the US, there are many of us that will leave Audi in favor of the Stuttgart brand. Not out of choice, but out of necessity. Wagons are regaining popularity in this country following a mulit year dip. Having both the E63 AMG wagon, and the Cadillac CTS-V wagon available here, the Sport Wagon has started to gain momentum. Audi needs to bring the RS6 here to compete.
    Don’t forget, we are the same market segment that buys the S8 for our date night car, and the A4, or a TT for our kids when they go off to college. There are MANY of us signed below that own 2 or more late model Audi’s, and when we switch to buy the E63AMG 4matic wagon, we will switch for everything.
    If AoA’s opinion is that there is not a market for the RS6 here in the US, we would conclude that you have failed to truly understand your market. In fact, with the recent rise in popularity of Audi across North America, you are missing the chance to DEFINE a market. Isn't that what your billboard at Dulles Airport refers to...the brave thinkers that brought AoA to Washington DC?
    The question that each of us here is asking….are you listening?
    With over a hundred registered email addresses as signatures below, we implore you to reconsider, and bring the RS6 to the US. Most of us wait with our checkbooks in hand, ready to sign for an upcoming allocation.
    Don’t let your greatest legacy in RS history be tarnished with the thought of ‘what if’ we had brought the RS6 Avant to the US?
    We eagerly await your response, and your willingness to get behind us…your customer!

Warm regards,

The RS6.com Users Group

Brought a tear to my eyes!

Mike

I think that Audi should have made an RS6 sedan as well and sold that here in the states along with the RS7 but an RS6 Avant is practically impossible. There is no A6 Avant at all. Because Audi gave up on the idea of an A6 Avant because of its sales. Here are some sad facts about Avants in America.

Last November Audi sold only 228 A4 Avants out of a total of 2,501 A4s for 9% Avant take rate.

This November Audi sold 437 A4 based allroads out of a total of 3,343 for 13% allroad take rate.

There is no way that Audi dealers in the US would agree to sell $100,000+ RS6 Avants and have them gather dust.

And to paint a clearer picture, in the same price range as a future RS6 Audi sold 12% of its total A8 line as an S8 which works out to be 65 S8 in November out of 541 total A8. I don't want to do the math on potential RS6 Avant sales.
    Last edited by chewym; December 6th, 2012 at 18:39.

Given the costs needed to DOT the new RS6 avant. I really doubt anything we say or do will point AoA in that direction.

Yes, its a great idea to shoot for the top and see what happens but open up the train of thought to include ANY "S" model avant.

For example. AoA have already slated the S6 and S7 sedans. Making for a long lineup of S model sedans that are already DOT certified. It would not take much effort to include one of the avant models of the above sedans and we would be golden.

I would write a $10,000 dollar deposit check tomorrow for any of the following models.

S4 avant
    S6 avant
    RS6 avant

That said, look what it took to get the TTRS over to the US. A massive Facebook effort with lots of customer driven response.

I say start the Facebook effort to include all the S line avants and chances are we would get one of them.

As a final note, I have driven the CTSV wagon and its a fine piece. Audi is missing the mark as the performance wagon segment is growing.

AoA my S and RS are getting long in the tooth. Please bring over a S line avant soon.

Also as a price point for the current market. The S6 avant would stack up nicely against the CTSV wagon. V8tt vs V8sc

I wish you the best of luck guys, hope you get what you desire!
    2004 Audi RS6 - 4.2 V8
    1993 Audi S4 - 4.2 V8
    2007 Audi A8 - 4.2 V8

Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post
    I think that Audi should have made an RS6 sedan as well and sold that here in the states along with the RS7 but an RS6 Avant is practically impossible. There is no A6 Avant at all. Because Audi gave up on the idea of an A6 Avant because of its sales. Here are some sad facts about Avants in America.Last November Audi sold only 228 A4 Avants out of a total of 2,501 A4s for 9% Avant take rate.This November Audi sold 437 A4 based allroads out of a total of 3,343 for 13% allroad take rate. There is no way that Audi dealers in the US would agree to sell $100,000+ RS6 Avants and have them gather dust.And to paint a clearer picture, in the same price range as a future RS6 Audi sold 12% of its total A8 line as an S8 which works out to be 65 S8 in November out of 541 total A8. I don't want to do the math on potential RS6 Avant sales.
    No offense, but you are not looking at this in the correct light. Its not about how many A4 Avants, or Allroads have been sold as a percentage of total units. That's like saying Porsche shouldn't build a 911 Turbo because all the buyers bought boxsters. The RS6 would be a limited production run car, similar to the tttrs and RS5. Have you tried to find one of those? They are gone, and were sold in limited quantities. Again, I think AoA is missing the point here. 10 years ago there was no other 4 wheel drive twin turbo v8 full size sedan capable of 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. We now have options. And we have wagon options to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephencl View Post
    No offense, but you are not looking at this in the correct light. Its not about how many A4 Avants, or Allroads have been sold as a percentage of total units. That's like saying Porsche shouldn't build a 911 Turbo because all the buyers bought boxsters. The RS6 would be a limited production run car, similar to the tttrs and RS5. Have you tried to find one of those? They are gone, and were sold in limited quantities. Again, I think AoA is missing the point here. 10 years ago there was no other 4 wheel drive twin turbo v8 full size sedan capable of 0-60 in 4.5 seconds. We now have options. And we have wagon options to boot.
    Read what Qisha has said before, read what guys at Fourtitude say when they talk to AoA execs about this kind of stuff. Here is a direct link to Qisha's post. The amount of A4s, allroads, A6 Avants in the past is completely relevant as it shows the level of interest in America to products that look like wagons.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/24...l=1#post241141

Here is the chain of command; quattro Gmbh asks the regions what they want, the regions decide on what they want based on what they and their dealers know they can sell. Clearly AoA decided that they can't sell 1,000 RS6 sedans or 500 RS6 Avants in a timely and reasonably priced way. The best they could do was a certain amount of RS7s. At best AoA should have an explanation for their thinking in their response but I am thinking it would sounds quite similar to what I just wrote.
    Last edited by chewym; December 6th, 2012 at 20:09.

The "average" Audi buyer, who would consider a sedan or avant, is NOT the typical Audi RS enthusiast. I would venture to say that there are 2 to 3 times more desire to have an RS model in an avant, for ACTUAL POTENTIAL RS BUYERS. They are in two different market segments. RS wagons are nearly cult cars from the time they are new.

As beautiful, refined, efficient and powerful as the latest RS6 is, I think they would have no problem selling 1000 units a year, if not more. Personally I am on the fence between Avant or Sedan for the RS, but I would take either when the time came.

At this point I really doubt it has anything to do with DOT or EPA. That cost is still quite small in the big picture. Per Quisha's post, its about demand coming from the bottom up. Customer > dealer > regional reps > AoA. If enough dealers received enough demand/deposits for it and the GMs actually starting asking for units, it would probably happen.

I think the letter is good, overall. Its a personalized, heartfelt conveyance from a true customer. The only thing I would change is this line "We want, we need, no we deserve the 2014 RS6." to just "We want and deserve.."
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

There lies the error in AoA thinking.

How many of us are drawn to the following vehicles.

A4 avant
    A6 avant
    allroad avant

I would venture to say nearly all of us would simply walk away and not take a second glance.

Now, line up the following vehicles

S4 avant
    S6 avant
    RS6 avant

Now, how many takers do we have for these three? I got a $10000 dollar deposit on my desk for any one of those three vehicles. I will also pay 98% of list price and finance with Audi credit for the balance. AoA do you want 800 score customers lining up at your door to apply for Audi credit?

End of rant. AoA simply does not get it. I see Aronis has purchased an A8L with the tt engine and loves it and another old member purchased a RS5 so the news is good on those fronts but I guess AoA is blind to the performance wagon segment. I may go drive one of those TT/RSs to get a feel as the A8L or RS5 are too much like my RS6.

Read what Qisha has said before, read what guys at Fourtitude say when they talk to AoA execs about this kind of stuff. Here is a direct link to Qisha's post. The amount of A4s, allroads, A6 Avants in the past is completely relevant as it shows the level of interest in America to products that look like wagons.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/24...l=1#post241141

Here is the chain of command; quattro Gmbh asks the regions what they want, the regions decide on what they want based on what they and their dealers know they can sell. Clearly AoA decided that they can't sell 1,000 RS6 sedans or 500 RS6 Avants in a timely and reasonably priced way. The best they could do was a certain amount of RS7s. At best AoA should have an explanation for their thinking in their response but I am thinking it would sounds quite similar to what I just wrote.

Something really bothers me about begging a company to take my money. If they want my business, bring the damn car here. If they don't want my business, then I'll give my money to someone who does.

The problem with that thinking is that this forum is good for what, maybe 10 RS6 Avants sold? Like you mentioned, about 3 of the newest Audi performance products are owned by members of this forum, the rest of RS5/S6/S7/S8 are not. Audi can't live off internet forums. I just don't believe that Audi's 250+ dealerships are owned by total morons who can't get a feel for how much of a 100,000 dollar product they can sell or can't hire someone who can figure it out for them.

The real question is how/what Mercedes does to bring such unwanted products (by the general public) like the R63 AMG. AoA probably knows but can't afford such shenanigans.

Dear Friends,

i would recommend to add the following in some sort:

- make sure to point out there is no interesst in buying the upcoming Audi RS 7 (add reasons)

- ask for a way to have a look at the Audi RS 6 Avant, like on a national car show and/or R/S/RS customer event/s

- send a copy to both the Audi Headquarters Germany and the quattro GmbH (i will provide contact details)

- use Facebook, Audi Pages etc.

Pictures do not reflect the muscularity the Audi RS 6 Avant carries nor do they live up to that feeling you get being face to face. You havent seen the eye candy yet... the Daytonagrey matt with Carbon exterior package is a stunner.

DOT and EPA are both not a problem as the Audi RS 7 is already going through the procedures and the Audi RS 6 Avant is sharing the platform.

PS: the Audi RS 6 Avant is exactly 31mm per side wider than the Audi S6... reading about worries concerning the wheel arches, they do look pretty hot in real life...

Qisha

The problem with that thinking is that this forum is good for what, maybe 10 RS6 Avants sold? Like you mentioned, about 3 of the newest Audi performance products are owned by members of this forum, the rest of RS5/S6/S7/S8 are not. Audi can't live off internet forums. I just don't believe that Audi's 250+ dealerships are owned by total morons who can't get a feel for how much of a 100,000 dollar product they can sell or can't hire someone who can figure it out for them.

The real question is how/what Mercedes does to bring such unwanted products (by the general public) like the R63 AMG. AoA probably knows but can't afford such shenanigans.

Wow....not sure what planet your from...there are well over 200 active current RS6 owners on this site, not to mention hundreds of non RS6 owners that have an active voice. I personally received over 40 PM's the last time when I started this thread, I am confident that there are at least 25 - 30 orders here alone..

As far as the dealer network is concerned, yes you nailed it, they are run by complete morons who are far more concerned with numbers of SKU's sold rather than the enthusiast base that supports the brand. If you think for a minute that the rise of Audi popularity is because the A4 is a great family car, you fit right in with the dealer network. Audi's popularity has sky rocketed because of 3 main factors. 1) Success in motorsport. Winning Leman's over and over again gets customers thinking about the benefits of trickle down technology. 2) Audi started importing RS models. Starting with the RS6, then the RS4 etc, etc, the enthusiasts drive and promote significant amounts of word of mouth referral.. For example, when I moved into my little group of houses, I had the only Audi's. (2) I rave about the RS. My neighbors listen to the burbling sounds it makes as it goes by. In the last 4 years, all of my surrounding 4 neighbors have bought AUDI's. This NEVER happens without me driving my RS6. NEVER. 3) AUDI started building reliable products. Maserati still hasnt taken hold in the US because they cant get quality right. They make a beautiful car with a Ferrari heart, but the cars still spend WAY too much time in the shop with mega repair bills for cars out of warranty. (ask me how I know this one )

Again, I am not sure of what your angle is. But the bottom line is if we dont try, it will never come. It is the way it works...it worked for the TTRS and it sold out before any of them ever hit the showroom floor. Same with the RS5. It can happen with the RS6 as well.

Stephen

Qisha,

Thank you. I will add appropriate content as suggested above. Please feel free to PM me with contact details.

Warm regards,

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by Stephencl View Post
    Wow....not sure what planet your from...there are well over 200 active current RS6 owners on this site, not to mention hundreds of non RS6 owners that have an active voice. I personally received over 40 PM's the last time when I started this thread, I am confident that there are at least 25 - 30 orders here alone..

As far as the dealer network is concerned, yes you nailed it, they are run by complete morons who are far more concerned with numbers of SKU's sold rather than the enthusiast base that supports the brand. If you think for a minute that the rise of Audi popularity is because the A4 is a great family car, you fit right in with the dealer network. Audi's popularity has sky rocketed because of 3 main factors. 1) Success in motorsport. Winning Leman's over and over again gets customers thinking about the benefits of trickle down technology. 2) Audi started importing RS models. Starting with the RS6, then the RS4 etc, etc, the enthusiasts drive and promote significant amounts of word of mouth referral.. For example, when I moved into my little group of houses, I had the only Audi's. (2) I rave about the RS. My neighbors listen to the burbling sounds it makes as it goes by. In the last 4 years, all of my surrounding 4 neighbors have bought AUDI's. This NEVER happens without me driving my RS6. NEVER. 3) AUDI started building reliable products. Maserati still hasnt taken hold in the US because they cant get quality right. They make a beautiful car with a Ferrari heart, but the cars still spend WAY too much time in the shop with mega repair bills for cars out of warranty. (ask me how I know this one )

Again, I am not sure of what your angle is. But the bottom line is if we dont try, it will never come. It is the way it works...it worked for the TTRS and it sold out before any of them ever hit the showroom floor. Same with the RS5. It can happen with the RS6 as well.

Stephen
    Good Luck Stephen as I have everything crossed for you boys as I hope you get what we over here are expecting as standard as you deserve it too

I basically agree with everything (constructive) that other people have said. I especially think that you need to mention that while the RS7 is a fine car, none of us will be snookered into buying it just cause we didn't get our Avant. I'm wagering they are thinking they can get a large number of us to take RS7's as a consolation prize. I'm not willing to pay new car money for a car I don't really want. Maybe in +5 years I'll pick one up used, but wouldn't consider it new. Also maybe mention that the Avant is the legacy of Audi, the first 2 cars to carry the RS badger were Avant's. Audi created the segment and yet they refuse to give us the pure Audi legacy cars. I'm currently working on a plan to clone a C6 if this whole thing falls through.

on another note, the sales of A4's and these cute little allroads they are pushing on us have nothing to do with the RS brand. It's actually the opposite. If they had a big FAST Avant here in the states then it would help sell A4's because every time someone with ~40k budget saw an RS6 they would think "wow, I could get an A4 s-line and add some APR parts and new rims and be just like that." But as is they have nothing to inspire people want an A4 other than absolute necessity! I promise if they bring the RS6 with a big marketing campaign it will nearly double A4 Avant sales.
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

Thanks again for doing this, Stephen! Add my name, please.
    BTW, Line 15: I think you mean "multi-year dip," no?

Thanks, Qisha! It's nice too have you in our corner to maximize results.
    I agree with bmwade wholeheartedly. From personal experience, the only reason we bought a brand-new A4 avant in 2003 was because we were in the showroom asking about the RS6 (which they actually didn't have, btw). My wife really liked the A4, so we left with it. No doubt the lure of the RS6 made that sale.