Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RS 6, least reliable car for last 15 years!? :)

RS 6, least reliable car for last 15 years!? :)

Of course, this isn't true, but still, interesting article...

http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2012/11...-lists-10.html

Not even close. It is almost double the 2nd place.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

I think the numbers have to be skewed as the US didn't get the Avant nor the V10TT...
    Worldwide, that might be true...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

From a warranty $ standpoint maybe it is true!! Hell, at least I don't drive a Citroen!.

I know this car isn't cheap, but after 4 days at work today my mouth was watering thinking about driving Thing 1 up the hill )

LMAO at the warranty co's that wrote policies on these RS6's LMAO I have over a year left on my extended service contract how much more will they pay? LOL
    Current: Black Pearl Metallic Effect/Ebony, RNS-E, Euro + pedals, oCarbon, Hotchkiss Front & Rear Sway Bars, Koni Yellow's

You know, this doesn't surprise me at all. Consider - I had a coolant leak on my RS6. It ended up being a $20 plastic part - that required 10 hours of labor to access. Is it smart to pack an engine bay so tightly with various components that to literally accomplish anything even minimally service related, you have to pull the engine out of the car? Pull the engine out to access an auxiliary radiator? It's insanity.

It's a technological marvel, but it was obviously not designed to be serviced, or to last very long. These cars live fast, and die hard - and as they are now filtering down to 2nd and 3rd owners - and depreciating in value...it puts these cars in reach of people who have no ability to pay for the maintenance or operating expenses. They may be able to purchase the car, but they can't afford the car. It has operating expenses on-par with a typical Porsche 911 Turbo... its much more exclusive, and interesting car, especially in the USA where we get so few 'special' European cars like these.

And seeing the E60 M5 as number 2 on that list brings a bit of a smile to my face - I'm glad that my temptations to buy one didn't turn into action...
    Daily Drivers: 2002 Mercedes E55 AMG, Brilliant Silver, Autoadapt Menox control, hard-wired Valentine 1 | Ki Tsunami Titanium w/ Spinergy SPOX, Jay J2 Seatback, Jay J3 cushion, 2.5 degree camber

Probably a lot truer than we want to believe. Not only is it #1..but almost double the rating of #2... As was said above....our car has a lot of technology than can go bad..and when it does...engine comes out for nearly everything, short of coils and plugs...That's why everyone else can get a warranty for $1000-$1500 while we pay $3k-$4k...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by PixieVC View Post
    It's a technological marvel, but it was obviously not designed to be serviced, or to last very long. These cars live fast, and die hard - and as they are now filtering down to 2nd and 3rd owners - and depreciating in value...it puts these cars in reach of people who have no ability to pay for the maintenance or operating expenses. They may be able to purchase the car, but they can't afford the car. It has operating expenses on-par with a typical Porsche 911 Turbo... its much more exclusive, and interesting car, especially in the USA where we get so few 'special' European cars like these.

True Words, but that's were research comes in before you buy. I knew before I bought the car what I was in for. Number one on the priority list was a Warranty (to take care of the Transmission mainly and whatever else popped up). Next was to take care of the DRC (H&R Coilovers) which I was going to do anyway. I didn't even wait for the system to go bad I just replaced them as soon as possible. While the Engine was out I replaced the EGT and Oxygen sensors and the Valve cover gaskets (Warranty covered the EGT sensors and the Valve cover gaskets). The rest of any additional money I spent was all on Mods(Milltek Catless downpipes and Non Res Exhaust, Viper Map, Big wheels and Tires, Anti Roll bars and other minor items) and the car has been a dream. I know others have different opinions, but If approached correctly from the start you should be rewarded with many years of trouble free driving. Remember these cars are going on 10 Years old. I think for the money ( cost of the car and mods) You won't be able to find a car than can come close to it. Hell the other day Had this thing up to 150mph and it was still pulling very strongly, I backed off because I got scared. How fast is it? I don't know, but it is a true super car in every sense......................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Well said. Amen.

You seem to have a bitter taste in your mouth with regards to the RS6 you once owned. I guess it gives you pleasure to bash the car on the forum long after you owned it. I dont get it. You have a list of subjective items that carry little actual facts and you bash current owners that may be 2nd or 3rd owners.

The RS6 was not designed to last long? Really
    The RS6 was not designed to be serviced? Really

We are all mostly grown here. My RS has cost me all of 1200 dollars the last 6 years to service. It runs as well today than the day it had 20,000 miles. Turning 9 years old this year and I would not own anything other.

You know, this doesn't surprise me at all. Consider - I had a coolant leak on my RS6. It ended up being a $20 plastic part - that required 10 hours of labor to access. Is it smart to pack an engine bay so tightly with various components that to literally accomplish anything even minimally service related, you have to pull the engine out of the car? Pull the engine out to access an auxiliary radiator? It's insanity.

And seeing the E60 M5 as number 2 on that list brings a bit of a smile to my face - I'm glad that my temptations to buy one didn't turn into action...

The only other thing i would rather own would be if my car and a b7 rs4 had a baby, cosworth in the rs4. Just saying...I love that interior.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Yeah, I hated my first one so much I purchased another. Now 2 will sit in the garage and I'm the deadbeat 3rd owner of one. Gasp

Just think, I could strap the engines together and beat that damn Bugatti. I got my 16 cylinders and 4 turbos.

Just think, I passed up the on legendary reputation of GM and the Cadillac product lines.

Oh yeah, I hear MB is having the hardest time keeping gas tanks sealed. AMG past warranty? Oh no... I hear the NHTSA has the gas tank under inspection again and MB has denied all AMG owners any help with costs.

Just a poor deadbeat 3rd owner of a second RS6 ready to go bankrupt when the transmission craps out.

Quote Originally Posted by DHall1 View Post
    Yeah, I hated my first one so much I purchased another. Now 2 will sit in the garage and I'm the deadbeat 3rd owner of one. Gasp

Just think, I could strap the engines together and beat that damn Bugatti. I got my 16 cylinders and 4 turbos.

Just think, I passed up the on legendary reputation of GM and the Cadillac product lines.

Oh yeah, I hear MB is having the hardest time keeping gas tanks sealed. AMG past warranty? Oh no... I hear the NHTSA has the gas tank under inspection again and MB has denied all AMG owners any help with costs.

Just a poor deadbeat 3rd owner of a second RS6 ready to go bankrupt when the transmission craps out.
    Dont forget crappy OEM intercoolers on RS6 #1...
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I didnt go bankrupt, but my ass still hurts from dropping $7k on new trans and assorted small things...

I do love the car, and properly sorted can be solid for years. I always figure the parts i'm replacing are 10 years old, so not a worry.

Pixie does have plenty of good points regarding cost and ease of repair compared to other cars, but if you can wrench youre a step ahead, otherwise gotta have a good checkbook!

PS; new trans was worth every buck Crisp as a cool fall day...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Oh yeah, those crappy stock intercoolers that take the car to 440awhp and over 550ft/lbs of torque to the wheels with the proper stage 1-2 flash.

Someone call Randy. His car is a flash in the pan not made to last. At last check he has 170k on the stock motor and tracks the car harder than anyone on this forum on a routine basis.

LS-clearly you can afford your car and dont fall in the category explained by the past owner.

As for ease of repair. Good luck with that on a CTSV or AMG. Call me when they are 9 years old. We shall have a grand time.

Is that so you always have one that is running? I kidd, just kidding, sounds great!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Someone call Randy. His car is a flash in the pan not made to last. At last check he has 170k on the stock motor and tracks the car harder than anyone on this forum on a routine basis.
    He will not return my calls...

I think Bigglezworth has him beat with 215k on one of his RS6....

Yeah, I want to go broke faster. So why not buy another RS6. Oh wait, my 2nd RS6 has 50k more extended warranty left. I screwed that up big time. I will never go broke at this rate.

I should have got the CTSV. Stupid me.

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Is that so you always have one that is running? I kidd, just kidding, sounds great!