Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Another 01E project coming up. RS6 Transmission and Ace TC for sale?

Well not many people do it, but you can modify the injector to flow just a smidge more than designed. Not so much you over heat it and cause it to go static sooner, like it does anyway.

Didn't really wanna let the cat out of the bag until we were done, but we ran out of injector on the dyno at 4000rpm, and 16lbs of boost. I stuck a 5bar in and made it to about 5200rpm or so. Hence why we are pumping up the stock injectors. $250 or so vs $800 for a new set, that may need adapters etc...not worth it for what I'm trying to do.

I am just trying to maximize my "stock" set up. I say "stock" as the only thing I have really modified is my wastegates. I still have stock turbos, IC's, piping etc. I fabricated in 10lb wastegate cans. We could NOT get past 16psi on the stock wastegates, back then or now. Just as well, regarding the fuel limitation.

Short story is: between the full catless test pipes and the manual gearbox swap, I am already up 60whp from the stock autobox, and we are not done tuning yet.
    2013 Audi S8

Ok interesting. I remember my APR tune running up to 2100 mbar, and we're at 1000 atmospheric here. So that's barely under 16psi. O2 voltages remained pretty good on the logs.

So that 5bar regulator made a difference? Good to know.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Ok interesting. I remember my APR tune running up to 2100 mbar, and we're at 1000 atmospheric here. So that's barely under 16psi. O2 voltages remained pretty good on the logs.

So that 5bar regulator made a difference? Good to know.
    Right..2100-1000=1100, 1100/1000=1.1bar, and 14.7*1.1= 16.17psi... right where I am out of fuel. 5bar FPR just raises the system pressure a little more. Kind of a bandaid, but again..not looking to make 1000hp...I would like to run 20psi...hoping for 500whp at that boost level. We'll see...On this Mustang dyno..that is pretty good. My car only made 400whp on this dyno before with the stock auto. I'm at 460whp now with manual trans and gutted "testpipes"...
    2013 Audi S8

I'm no expert on fueling by any stretch. Is this the same injector setup that was done when EPL tuned the specialsauce car?

It's strange that that car, if I recall correctly, only needed modified stock injectors with all the mods it had. Also strange that the stock injector setup isn't sufficient for what you've done wrt mods.

Seems like black magic to me....
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Yes Steve, I suspect it is the same injector mod, and I think we are all thinking the same thing. I also think that car needed a new fuel pump too, which I may or may not?
    I am mystified as well, as I was using that car as my template...speculating that I wouldn't get even close with all the mods that car allegedly had. It seems that we will meet or exceed...with less mods? My car only has upgraded 10psi wastegates (stock are like 3 or 4psi), stock everything else. I am sure that the manaul swap has gotten me much closer to that power level than I would have been with the autobox.
    2013 Audi S8

So the equivalent of your mods to the wastegates can be somewhqt simulated with an MBC?

I want to rcall that Marc (10secS4) tuned himself some insane 1/4 mile times with piggies, MBC and a gutted interior.

Hopefully you are proving that it doesn't rquire a fortune to unleash the power, even though it might upset a lot of folks that have made the investment.

Just to chime in a bit and get some info. How did you know injectors were running out? When I increased my fueling under boost measured IDC went from about 74% to 77%. I think I heard you don't want to take injectors past 80%, correct, is that what you ran into?

Regarding boost, when I had mine turned up was hitting 2300 mBar, wouldn't that put me around 18-19 psi depending? Rebuilt turbos, but stock wg I thought. I ended up turning the boost down because it seemed to taper off to quick after reaching that point.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKen View Post
    So the equivalent of your mods to the wastegates can be somewhqt simulated with an MBC?

I want to rcall that Marc (10secS4) tuned himself some insane 1/4 mile times with piggies, MBC and a gutted interior.

Hopefully you are proving that it doesn't rquire a fortune to unleash the power, even though it might upset a lot of folks that have made the investment.
    Well..I'll say this..being as diplomatic as possible.

1. Stephen bought that car advertised as a 700hp Dahlback car. He was never able to get it sorted, and admittedly had a subpar shop work on it.

2. He then sold it, passing on all the info that he knew, including what he tried to do to help the car.

3. The new buyer took it to EPL who, in turn, tuned and got the car running "tip top". I believe that car is running as good as it can with whatever mods it has.

In speaking to Tony about it, he SUSPECTS that car has stock wastegates, based on how he had to tune them. Why would you modify the turbos and not modify the wastegates. YES, it can be done..but why?

It also apparently had a stock fuel system in it, which we just proved runs out of fuel at 16psi and 400-450hp(depending on who's dyno you are strapped to). How did they get 700hp? 700 crank is about 500 whp? I guess it's close at 485ish or wherever it is now
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Just to chime in a bit and get some info. How did you know injectors were running out? When I increased my fueling under boost measured IDC went from about 74% to 77%. I think I heard you don't want to take injectors past 80%, correct, is that what you ran into?

Regarding boost, when I had mine turned up was hitting 2300 mBar, wouldn't that put me around 18-19 psi depending? Rebuilt turbos, but stock wg I thought. I ended up turning the boost down because it seemed to taper off to quick after reaching that point.

Yes...80% IDC or less is optimum. As I understand it, you tune these cars based on requested TQ and factor in Injector duty cycle and N75 duty cycle, among other things obviously.
    I'm sure everyones equipment is at different states of age and condition, so I can't say with a blanket statement that 16psi is max for any injector, but based on what we saw on the dyno with my car, that's my problem. I can't see other cars being THAT for off though. We tried to raise the boost before with my stock wastegates, but wasn't happening.

My N75 DC was through the roof and not a fraction of a PSI more. I think anyone running more than 17-18psi, with stock fuel system, is flirting with disaster. Just my opinion.

The biggest problem with our cars is simply the hot side of the turbo is too small. That's why the power plunges so badly..especially when you crank the boost. With bigger wastegates, it will spike a little higher, hang on a little longer, but ultimately it's being choked coming out of the exhaust port of the engine.
    2013 Audi S8

As an aside, my car is just about done. We just need to finish tuning when I get the injectors back in.

I DO HAVE FUNCTIONING ABS & ESP WITH NO LIGHTS ON THE DASH.

We still have a little tweeking and I still have some wiring to do, but I want to wait until we are done tuning, before I start wiring stuff. While he is not advertising it...yet...with the EPL tune, you can tune remotely, you DO NOT have to send your ECU to him.
    2013 Audi S8

STOCK TRANSMISSION AND ACE TC ARE SOLD.

Stil lhave soem misc parts if anyone needs anything...

starter
    driveshaft
    axles
    shifter
    shifter cable
    full SAI system

probably some other small crap too...
    2013 Audi S8

Which car are you referring to, my S4? I've never gutted an RS6 nor ran a MBC on one. My gray car ran 11.5@119 with a tune/race gas/no cats and no exhaust. My blue rs6 ran 11.9@117 with only a tune and race gas. I never ran the black 6-speed rs6 at the strip but from a roll it beat the grey car by 3 cars.

Quote Originally Posted by 10SecS4 View Post
    Which car are you referring to, my S4? I've never gutted an RS6 nor ran a MBC on one. My gray car ran 11.5@119 with a tune/race gas/no cats and no exhaust. My blue rs6 ran 11.9@117 with only a tune and race gas. I never ran the black 6-speed rs6 at the strip but from a roll it beat the grey car by 3 cars.
    Sorry about that, as I figured I'd get something mixed up, etc.

Anyway, you still have the 6spd car?

I sold it about a year ago.

Sorry about that, as I figured I'd get something mixed up, etc.

Anyway, you still have the 6spd car?

Is that the one here in CT?
    2013 Audi S8

Yessir. How do your dyno numbers line up with his?

tttbost, did you ever get final tuning numbers? Id be quite interested to see the graph if you wouldnt mind sharing it.
    EPL Stage 3 B5 S4
    6mt Ultrasport K04 & Bolt-ons Daily
    2.7t 6mt A6 Parts Car ;)

Nothing really interesting to report, other than what I may have spoken about elswhere. EPL has been busy and I have been busy. I have put about 2500 miles on it and I absolutely love it. Got most of the mapping done now, making it a great driver, but still working on the coding, etc... It appears you might need a S6 ABS module, as the RS6 module can't be recoded to a manual (thanks Steve).

We have been tinkering on the dyno when we can hook up, but we still seem to find a bug here and there (first a wastegate was misadjusted, then I got a bad tank of fuel and it was yanking 10-15deg of timing, etc..), but looks promising.

We have seen about 475/575 on EPL's AWD Mustang dyno at about 20psi. Probably make pretty close to that on the final tune. My car, on that dyno made about 320/360 stock and 400/460 flashed.
    The car flat out rips. WAY faster than before. My only other mods are gutted, catless downpipes, 10psi wastegate cans and the manual transmission. So between the downpipes and the driveline loss pickup, and a smidge more boost, you can pick up almost 80-100 whp. Not to mention the 200lb or so weight loss.
    I want to add meth, which would likely add another 50-70whp, but not sure yet. really want another Pcar, so this might have to go.
    2013 Audi S8