Thread: PhatNoise & XM info and questions

Question PhatNoise & XM info and questions

My RS6 is currenly at the dealer for installation of both a phatbox and XM satelite radio. I had been under the impression that they could both co-exist, but the dealer now seems to think that isn't possible. Does anyone know for sure? Keep in mind that my car does not have the navigation option.

Here's the situation so far:

1) XM module is installed and works, technician claims cannot install PhatBox because there is no cable for it; and has a call into Audi tech support to find out more.

2) Another possibility mentioned in all the smoke here is that possibly the 2003 A6's don't have the CD changer harness as standard (I know the 2002's do, as I have one)

3) My understanding was that PhatBox used trunk CD cable, XM was it's own deal (and radio head unit has a button to activate (SAT). I called PhatNoise, the gal I talked to was fairly certain that XM used both it's own cable and the CD changer cable to trunk. Bummer if true. I would prefer PhatNoise to XM, so that is one solution. She also thinks all A6's are pre-wired for the additional trunk CD changer.

4) The real issues are two a) why does the XM borrow the CD changer cable?, and b) does the head unit have enough inputs for all these gadgets?

5) Seems I have three possible solutions:

a) forget XM and enjoy the PhatNoise
    b) run another cable to the head unit if it has an input available.
    3) Ask if i can unplug one and plug in the other in the trunk, or have a trunk or glovebox mounted "input switcher"

Anybody out there have any other specific knowledge or experience? Perhaps my dealer needs to be enlightened. :roll:

I had heard that for 2003 the rear CD changer cable was dropped.
    Maybe the radio has an input for the cable to be run?

Sorry, I cant really be more help but heres what I have. I bought the XM and put it in myself. Which by the way was not that difficult but every once in a while I have to do some work on my car and bust my knuckles just to remind myself why I don't work on my cars anymore(for those of you who are mechanics I have great respect.....you have more patience than I).

The wires used on the XM are NOT CD changer wires(atleast that I have seen), they appear to be specific to the XM unit. You would have to find out if there is a converter for the XM that would allow you to split it with the Phat/thing or totally convert it I dont think either is possiable but who knows? Lastly I do not know if there is an extrta outlet in the back of the radio/head unit itself. Sorry I could not be of more help
    Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

Quattroboy,

From http://collection.audiusa.com/:

"Price includes PhatNoiseŽ, a 20 Gig DMS cartridge, the PhatNoiseŽ Music Manager software for encoding CDs, a high-speed USB cradle and a CD changer jumper for installation. Installation brackets, hardware, and radio harness for models not equipped with rear CD Changer preparation are sold separately at an additional charge. Fits most Audi models. " See following link:

http://collection.audiusa.com/store/...7&xsell_cat=48

If you search for the cable on the site, it specifically states it is needed for the RS6. It's $99.95. See following link:

http://collection.audiusa.com/store/...6&xsell_cat=47

I think it is safe to say that your points 1 and 2 are correct: you need the cable for installation of the Phatbox and your tech doesn't have it.

With regard to point 3, I have seen and heard nothing that makes me believe XM/Sirius and Phatbox are incompatible. The 2004 Audi's now have an infotainment package option that includes Bose radio, On Star and satellite radio for $1800. (You choose XM or Sirius.) My understanding is that these items cannot be factory ordered individually. Yet, the Phatbox is universally offered as a dealer add on. So, it seems logical to assume XM and Phatbox can coexist.

Please let us know what happens. I may want to do the same thing.

Good luck.

Bob

Sad News

I received the new Audi Collection catalog in the mail today. Page 45 features both the satellite radio and PhatNoise. There is a notation at the bottom of the page that states they are incompatible with each other.

Sorry for the bad news.

Bob