Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front BBK options for C5 RS6....about to pull trigger!

Front BBK options for C5 RS6....about to pull trigger!

I have been looking for all of the options available for our C5 RS6s. I have found some pretty good information. It might all be known to you veteran RS6 guys but I am new and the search function on this website sucks....or my ability to use it sucks.

This is a 95% street car with a few track days...not dogging the car though. I like bling with totally dialed in function. That one time I want to haul my ass down from 150mph and need big brakes is the time I will be glad I got big bad ass brakes...the rest of the time I can drool over the looks of a big disc filling up my wheels.

Anyway, I was thinking about MTM but was told that their brake setup, which I can't find a full kit for anyway uses and OE 8pot Brembo. Someone said that is basically our cars stock caliper. They probably use the Gallardo caliper. I don't know any of this. This comes from a salesman from a competing company. But just the MTM 380mm discs are $3577.00us...no way.

http://www.mtm-us.com/en/Audi/RS6/4-...=m-rs6bre380vk

StopTech is good I guess. I just want something different. Something that fills up the wheel more.

Stasis looks like their calipers are some cheap far east design. I don't know and have never used there products...looks cheap though. Just not feeling it on these.....at all.

http://www.stasisengineering.com/pro...mm-mono6-a6rs6

Alcon has an OE size kit....don't want OE size. Although I really like Alcon products.

That has led me to Loba of Germany. I have been talking to Simon Sharp. He has been very helpful and taking his time to answer my question fully.
    Loba has just put together this sweet piece of kit.

http://audisrs.com/archive/loba-390m...__t_37823.html

Not the R8 stuff at the top...scroll down and you will see the Loba C5 set up. This uses a AP 390mm disc with C6 RS6 OEM calipers. The kit has been fully tested on street and track.

I am thinking I am going for this unless someone really has some information to change my course. What I am getting from Loba is

RS6 C5 LOBA/AP Racing 390mm Brake discs (drilled), FerodoPerfomance DS2500 brake pads, OEM C6 6 pot brembo callipers, HEL braided steellines plus painted red. They come in black.

All of this will be for $4552.92us. $416.00 less if I get black.

I am not here to hear someone tell me how I don't really need a big brake setup..

I could probably put together some large diameter disc and awesome AP caliper from parts but I want something that is track tested on my car. Not theory of a brake design and then I test out the theory. There is a lot more to upgrading brakes on this kind of car than my 1989 RX7 20B. I don't even have abs on that car.

Anyone have any information that is just going to change my view of this??
    "There are only three sports: bullfighting, mountain climbing, and auto-racing. Everything else is just a game" -Ernest Hemingway

Chris,

I freakin love it....I might be right behind you. Do you know if you need 19' or 20's to fit the calipers and rotors? You would also have to consider the effect on the front/rear brake bias. Finally, I would have to pull the rear calipers and paint them up chinese red just to match...

I have a set of front and rear red calipers left over from my Porsche 996tt from when I upgraded to the PCCB's, so it would be fun to see if there was a way to adopt the rears???

Stephen

It will fit under the 19" wheels. I am going to paint the rear calipers red and the disc bells black. All the rear brake stuff is basically just for cosmetics.

Simon said their testing has indicated the setup works great with front to rear bias using the 390mm set up. So it is being sold as plug and play.
    "There are only three sports: bullfighting, mountain climbing, and auto-racing. Everything else is just a game" -Ernest Hemingway

I have the Alcon BBK and it certainly stops the heavy hog.

My main complaint is pad change on the Alcon. It requires the removal of the caliper and is a PIA compared to some other brake setups. However; you state you won't be tracking- so you won't have the need to change them as often and makes this less of an issue.

My less than .03 worth
    210K miles rolled

Here is the marketing material:

AP Racing 88 Vane Directional rotors and includes Ferodo Performance Brake Pads DS2500 Bolt On Replacement no other modifications to carry out (PLUG&PLAY)

Uses OEM RS6 C6 callipers, the assembly uses “ Float in the Bell” Technology, float is limited to 0.2mm compared to 0.5-0.7mm float disc systems such as Alcon or less capable AP racing setups.

Custom rate developed bobbin springs allow design axial and radial float whilst maintaining OEM levels of NVH.

Assembly's proven to demonstrate excellent heat management by design in testing due to axial flow of air from behind the bearing to the centre of the disc via 88 vanes and a 21mm air gap so run very cool , provision is also made for front face cooling via recessed vents on the reverse bell face, each rotor is handed (oem are not).

All components from rotors to washers are available separately this is truly a disc assembly for life, whole life cost is lower than OEM especially for tracked vehicles, Disc finishing is either radially drilled via CNC to avoid hotspots, rebuild and refinishing service facility available.

Design requirements was nominally 10-12 track laps at competitive driver speeds, surpassed in initial testing by professional drivers.
    Optionally available with temperature sensing paint applied set to 430/560/610 degrees.

.Disc Bell CNC machined by a supplier to race teams at the pinnacle of Motorsport

.Disc Rotor is Supplied assembled

.Rotor size is 390mm, complete disc weight 9.8Kg each compared to RS6 C6 OEM 16.5kg each !

.Removes a good amount of unsprung weight from the front axle, increasing
    braking performance, and improving handling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7901.jpg 
Views:	649 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	13080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7902.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	13081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7904.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	13082Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7905.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	13083Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7907.jpg 
Views:	506 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	13084

Here is the guy I have been dealing with.

Simon Sharp s.sharp@loba-motorsport.co.uk

Have you thought/considered a Ceramic Rotor setup?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I have seen Movit's $14k setup for their ceramic rotors and calipers. That is not remotely possible....even in my most unhinged buying moments. I would buy a used Ducati first!!

Have you got info on other not so costly options? I really have not investigated it. Just lusted over it.

I do like the idea of finding a used C6 RS6 ceramic full brake set up from Europe but haven't really looked.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Stator View Post
    I have seen Movit's $14k setup for their ceramic rotors and calipers. That is not remotely possible....even in my most unhinged buying moments. I would buy a used Ducati first!!

Have you got info on other not so costly options? I really have not investigated it. Just lusted over it.

I do like the idea of finding a used C6 RS6 ceramic full brake set up from Europe but haven't really looked.
    There WAS a set of front only Ceramics from an S8 on Audizine for $6k USD (I believe the calipers were included in that price)
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I found this on Stasis website....

Looks like it is says Alcon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mono63 copy.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	13085

Still going with Loba.

Did you consider using the C6 RS6 390mm discs with your existing C5 RS6 calipers? All you need is the caliper adaptor from Grizz.
    That setup will clear most 19" wheels. The price of the discs (about $4-500 each plus shipping from Europe) plus the adaptors they were like a couple hundred last I checked. He also supposedly has a setup to go with larger brakes on the rear, or at least was working on it last time I checked. Seems like a very inexpensive route compared to the above (although heavier, of course).

I was going to do this many times, but he's just never answered my e-mails or PMs. I got the phaeton cooling set-up from him a long ways back without a hitch, and others have deal with him since then, but I kinda gave up after a while.

Since you're not intending on tracking your car, this set-up would be more than adequate, and still look amazing.
    I don't know how much you have modded or are planning to mod your car, but I'm sure you could find something else to do with the money saved.
    Last edited by Spidercat; October 25th, 2012 at 23:29.

Disregard above. Sorry. He seems to not even have them on his website anymore. He's got the Loba setup you already found.
    Keep us posted. Looking forward to the end result!

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercat View Post
    Disregard above. Sorry. He seems to not even have them on his website anymore. He's got the Loba setup you already found.
    Keep us posted. Looking forward to the end result!

I saw somewhere that grizz was actually doing a lot of the testing and setup of this kit.
    Last edited by Del Stator; October 26th, 2012 at 00:17.

Loba gear is quality all around. Looking forward to hearing results after install.
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

LOBA: Thats a gorgeous set-up. 390mm under 19" rims look terrific! I think Bigglesworth is running MTM's set-up on his rs. There have been a couple threads on this topic in the last 2 months, but they primarily focused on performance on-track. If you're going for a bigger look that has also been track tested, LOBA might be your only option. I'm pretty sure Max's Alcons and the STaSIS set-up are close to OEM specs.

I looked into this years ago and opted not to go this route as I didn't want to run 19" wheels in the winter. I was going to use Grizz's caliper mounts to reposition our C5 calipers and utilize a 390mm rotor. As a frequent tracker I went with the phaeton ducting and custom coleman hats/rings with better internal ducting. (Photo's in my file) This was more than adequate to handle 15-20 lap sessions at DE's without any brake fade. At Heartland Park that involves a 140, 120 & 110mph velocities on their three straights (3.5 miles w/15 turns) Despite their weight, our cars are amazing on track.

I had mentioned the C6 BBK a few month's ago on the Following Rotor Thread:

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/24...?highlight=bbk

Its the way I'm going, I just have to gather up the Money........................
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by Amulet-S6 View Post
    LOBA: Thats a gorgeous set-up. 390mm under 19" rims look terrific! I think Bigglesworth is running MTM's set-up on his rs. There have been a couple threads on this topic in the last 2 months, but they primarily focused on performance on-track. If you're going for a bigger look that has also been track tested, LOBA might be your only option. I'm pretty sure Max's Alcons and the STaSIS set-up are close to OEM specs.

I looked into this years ago and opted not to go this route as I didn't want to run 19" wheels in the winter. I was going to use Grizz's caliper mounts to reposition our C5 calipers and utilize a 390mm rotor. As a frequent tracker I went with the phaeton ducting and custom coleman hats/rings with better internal ducting. (Photo's in my file) This was more than adequate to handle 15-20 lap sessions at DE's without any brake fade. At Heartland Park that involves a 140, 120 & 110mph velocities on their three straights (3.5 miles w/15 turns) Despite their weight, our cars are amazing on track.

I agree, this will look great under 19s. Especially with the new wheels I am getting.....maybe. This was a pretty big chunk.

I am looking for the easiest Phaeton ducting setup. Is there someone that has already modified the parts? I can do some fab work but am just to busy and not in that frame of mind right now. I would love to just get it and bolt it all in place.

As for this Loba setup....I ordered it today. With the slimy money changers getting their claws into the deal, it ended up costing 4717.00. Not cheap by any means. The Bank of America money changers grabbed about 150.00 in the conversion rate wiring process.

Why did you not use a Credit Card? I have ordered many things from Europe and Grizz at Unit20 using a Credit Card with no money Exchange Rates. All I had to cover was Customs Charges. Yes If you use BOA Money Wiring you will pay large Fee's..........
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

Does Performance Friction offer anything? Those Ferodo 2500's are a joke. No way in hell will they hold up for track use on a RS6. My stock S2000 cooked those pads on the track.