Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine out - what preventive work should be done??

Mech Engine out - what preventive work should be done??

i am getting ready for taking the engine out this winter and would like to get a consistent list of the items that should be replaced whilst i have the opportunity! I know this has been discussed on many topics, but i was thinking of doing a full list and then make it a sticky, this is what i have in mind so far:

1. Torque converter(the main reason)
    2. Complete overhaul of the gearbox(still debating on this one)
    3. EGT sensors - 077998124(kit, contains both)
    4. O2 sensors - 1K0998262AB x 4
    5. Valve cover gaskets - 077198025A x 2 + cam chain tensioner gaskets - 026103085D x 4/ 077198217 x 2
    6. oil cooler pipe(i got the bufkin one)
    7. turbos gaskets(should i?)
    8. any hose/gasket that looks tired
    9. spark plugs
    10. accessories belt
    11. auxiliary water pump
    12. alternator, AC compressor, starter(can these be checked?)

please let me know what else should we add and i will added to the list above! I know that there are many things, probably, that will fail at some point, but as you know money is most of the times an issue, so even though we can list all the items, let's try to highlight the important ones!

I would like to ask one of the admins to help me to be able to edit this first post, so we can have the list at the beginning of the topic to make it easy to read for future reference!

Thanks a lot guys!
    Last edited by mik15; October 21st, 2012 at 08:42.
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Turbo studs and nuts.
    Check steering racks bolts.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Timing belt
    91' NSX Turbo 700whp/550tq
    03' RS6 550ish bhp/tq
    09' R8 :-)

Did myTC only to have my gearbox let loose on me a few months later and had to repull the engine. Also l had the Turbo's rebuilt by Scrollproducts as a further preventive measure. Obviously more money but worth it in the long run to have the Gearbox and Turbo's rebuilt. Everything else I think you've just about covered.
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

-i'd say that the timing belt should be changed if it's due or close by, in my case was done less than 15k miles ago...
    -steering rack bolts, definitely a must have
    - not sure though about rebuilding the turbos, i was thinking of replacing the gaskets, the studs and nuts
    - overhauling the gearbox, from what i noticed by comparing the users on rs6.com vs rs246.com, US vs Europe, it looks like that in most of the cases the GB died after the TC was replaced with non OEM one(which is the common thing done in US), i think this has to do with the modified stall speed which compared to the stock one does not allow any or less slippage on the TC, therefore all the stress is being transmitted to the GB which of course fails due to wear and tear. This is only my conclusion and understanding, i have no evidence to prove it, just statistics done on my own by researching these two forums, i have an OEM new TC ready and will probably go with that one, i'll be quite happy if it lasts another 70k miles as the original one, it serves my purpose very well as i don't track/drag race the car! However, this is very arguable and i am still at the point where i don't know yet what route to go!

Looks like you've got it all covered plus some extra. I did the turbo rebuild at 92k when engine was pulled. I was surprised at the good condition of the old ones, just a little play in the impeller shaft, tiny oil leak, they would have gone to 125-150k I bet. Now I do kind of wish I had upgraded them to a hybrid bigger impeller, but you'll want the beefed up trans for that extra power. $1k for rebuild, $2k for full upgrade, Scroll, quality was excellent, so was service.

Cam tension seals, add that on, I believe I have that right. We looked over all hoses, looked good. Valve cover gasket, Bufkin pipe, worn engine mounts. All IC hoses, silicon with better clamps, inspect old IC's. Cheers!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

All the above, then start an 01E trust fund for when your trans takes a crap on you.
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    All the above, then start an 01E trust fund for when your trans takes a crap on you.
    $7k on a good day...one day I hope to get it done...later than sooner as I'm investing in a few other projects now...

Edit; $7-8k for beefed up auto trans, shipping, labor...which I happen to really like, just needs to be stronger...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

so the engine is now out...

and look at her so said , it really brakes my heart to see it like this but hopefully it will be back on its feet soon enough !
    First impression when i saw the engine out was, wow, this thing is really big, i"ve seen other Audi engines out, a regular 4.2 A8 was one of them, and it didn't seem so big and complicated as this one, even the mech said it is indeed impressive! Now i can actually see how tight is everything there and how well has all been thought when designed to fit the small engine compartment space, even though from maintenance point of view is a biatch!

Besides the regular things which were on my list, we discovered some other small issues, engine mounts seem to have some cracks, though i get no error on VCDS, should i go ahead and replace it as well? Can they be replaced with the engine on?

To remove the gearbox from the engine it looks like the turbos along with the exhaust manifolds must be removed first, therefore my mech wants to change all the turbo seals and studs, manifold gaskets and studs/nuts, so on...is this how it is supposed to be done?

It will definetely cost me more that i have anticipated !

Any advices you might have please do let me know!
    I hope, if we get all the parts in time, that the car will be back on the road within the next couple of weeks!

I think it is definitely the most complicated system I have ever seen!

I'm right behind you so let me know what you do.....repositioned the lift today for the pull.

Great pics...scares me to death....
    Last edited by 905084; February 12th, 2013 at 01:42.

it is scary to be honest, i trust my mech as he did many engine pulls/rebuild on Audi and Cayenne's, but even so he was impressed with this big plant and wants to take it easy to put all back together the way it was, this is the first time on my car's life the engine is out, and i am also very careful to details so i want as well to have everything back together as factory did, hopefully will be ok at the end!

Basically, the main reason i did this is to change the torque converter and because of that i've decided to change the EGT, O2, valve cover gaskets, oil cooler pipe(Bufkin pipe), spark plugs and all the other little gaskets/hoses that show signs of wear or that my mech recommends changing while engine is out! We've also discovered that the engine mounts are a bit cracked, so we're gonna change those too plus all the turbo seals and studs, exhaust manifold gaskets/studs as they need to be removed in order to separate the GB from the engine and it's not recommended to use the old ones! Already this job is costing me more than i have anticipated, but now that i've opened Pandora's box i can't pull back anymore, can only go forward !

Pretty much....wife1 is begging me not to do this....I would recommend doing the trans rebuild along with all the rest.

i am afraid of rebuilding it here, i drove another 2 RS6 with rebuilt GB and none was the same as a stock one, though they don't slip but both had some issues...issues you can live with it, i guess... one of them has a rougher gear change from 1st to 2nd gear, not too bad but noticeable and the other one something similar. I tested a 3rd one while it was on the car after its been refurbished, this one i have it now as a spare, and it has a rough gear change from 4th to 5th, so all these not so good experiences put me off...mine doesn't slip so i hope that by changing the TC will be ok, i don't track it, just regular driving with some sporty driving from time to time...

As long as you don't mind the extra 3k to pull it if it lunches out in the next 2 years. Both of mine are now toast and I want to do it all while I'm there.

if it's gonna last for 2,3 more years i'll be happy with it, by then maybe the prices on the OEM ones re manufactured will drop and will fit one of those for the sake of warranty and ZF support!

I don't see that the suction jet pump was mentioned. I'd look into replacing this if you remove the intake. i thing there's a writeup on the forum (by p3u ?) on where it's located, etc...
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

it's been replaced about a year ago by Audi when the brakes decided to quit on me , thanks for the tip!