Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine out - what preventive work should be done??

How much you figure into it when it is all done? Parts and labor?

TBH i don't really know an exact figure as i bought most of the parts in time, however i still have to buy some that i didn't expect to be need it, so only for these extra ones it will be at least another $1K...overall, including labor, i guess it must be around min. $3,5K .
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Quote Originally Posted by mik15 View Post

1. Torque converter(the main reason)
    2. Complete overhaul of the gearbox(still debating on this one)
    3. EGT sensors - 077998124(kit, contains both)
    4. O2 sensors - 1K0998262AB x 4
    5. Valve cover gaskets - 077198025A x 2 + cam chain tensioner gaskets - 026103085D x 4/ 077198217 x 2
    6. oil cooler pipe(i got the bufkin one)
    7. turbos gaskets(should i?)
    8. any hose/gasket that looks tired
    9. spark plugs
    10. accessories belt
    11. auxiliary water pump
    12. alternator, AC compressor, starter(can these be checked?)
    I just got my car back yesterday from extensive work similar to yours.

First off, my thanks to Tozo for valuable free advice, talking me out of having him rebuild my transmission when I prophylactically had my torque converter overhauled by ACE.

Second, big thanks to Andre at Advanced Converter Engineering for a great job and a fast turnaround on my unit. Apparently he is in the midst of a run of 6 or 7 RS6 torque converter jobs in the last few months.

As some may recall, this all started when a minor rear end collision left me with minimal superficial rear bumper damage, but also a Check Engine light. This was ultimately traced back to one of the O2 sensors which contacted the transmission in the hit, leaving it nonfunctional.

Their insurance company paid for the engine and transmission pull and the single O2 sensor. I paid for the torque converter, the other 3 O2 sensors, the 2 EGT sensors,both valve cover gaskets, the Bufkin pipe, the spark plugs, and the generic "anything else that looks like it needs it". At about 50k miles, only a few lengths of vacuum hoses needed replaced.

I did NOT do the turbos gaskets, or the auxiliary water pump. It looked fine, with no leaks. The cam chain tensioner gaskets, the accessory belt, and the timing belt, along with the thermostat and water pump, were done just last year; my 3rd timing belt done by time, rather than by mileage.

The trans fluid was effectively changed simply by the R&R of the torque converter. Didn't do the trans pan gasket or the trans filter/screen. That is accessible, I am told, for later when needed.
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

thanks for the good info you've added here! My mech says he can't remove the gearbox from the engine unless he takes apart the turbos and exhaust manifold, therefore the need to replace those gaskets, mine doesn't leak either, but he tells me he wants to change it if these parts have to be removed, maybe someone who has already done this by themselves can clarify this issues...the gaskets aren't a big issue,, they're cheap, the problem for me is that the parts aren't available at the dealer so we have to wait about 2 weeks to get it...btw, can someone help me out with the turbos studs/gaskets p/n and also how many are required?

Just ordered a bunch of parts from FCPEuro for my pull. They had the exhaust manifold gaskets and I'm sure they could FedEx you a pair. Talked with Streamline Industries here in Salt Lake about doing my trans. $2200 for labor and they don't pull the motor. Said they had done 2. Since I don't get to do all the little stuff I decided to do this.

What day 1 looks like.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Apart1.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	13548

BTW, I didn't see intercoolers mentioned. You might want to fix them up if they are oily and leaking.

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    BTW, I didn't see intercoolers mentioned. You might want to fix them up if they are oily and leaking.
    Didn't mention intercoolers because my tech said they are easily done without engine out. I have a pair to install, probably in the summer (Wagner)
    2003 RS6, Mugello/Silver, MTM Stage 1 ECM, and TCM mod, Abt 19 inch wheels for summer, stock 18s for winter, RS6+ Pedals INSTALLED! 2Bennett coilover system, 2Bennett front brakes; DRC gone!

work is still in progress, unfortunately is a slow progress due to lack of parts which must be brought from Germany, i have managed to get some of them but i am still missing the turbos gaskets, studs and nuts which will most likely get here, best case scenario, at the end of the week or beginning of next week! Here are some shots:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	13549Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	13557Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	13556Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	13555Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	13554Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	261 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	13553Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	13552Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	13551Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	13550Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	13558

my mech likes to add a bit of sealant all over the new gaskets in order to fill in any remaining gaps, that is his practice for a long time and he says is very good as sometimes the gaskets might not be perfect, and especially with this engine where chaning such parts is not an easy job he doesn't want to take any chances! He didn't want to use the Reinz gaskets for the valve covers i had it bought and made me buy the original ones as after he installed one of them it looked too soft after tightening the studs and were expanding too much under pressure !

I like how everything looks under the valve covers, very clean and no oil sludge or any debris, all is so clean that you could have your lunch there, all services were done using the original Castrol or Liqui-Moly(or Lubro-Moly as you know it in US)!

Below you may see what those f***ers at Audi did when they replaced my jet suction pump about a year ago, they're so incredibly stupid, i don't know how the heck did they get the job and why nobody checks what they're doing! Basically my car has been running for almost 1 year without the secondary cooling pump and after-run pump, because the dick heads cut off the wiring! Once again, they proved me why everybody here is so against Audi and their sales figures are less than half compared with BMW and Mercedes in this region, they're all scared about the poor quality maintenance we get from them, this really made me very angry and i am gonna and talk to the Service Manager, which happens to be a German guy, and file a complain against the a*s who did this!

I can only say Thank God they didn't forget a nut in the intake manifold as they did to another customer with an Audi A8 and screwed up his engine....horror stories!
    Last edited by mik15; February 18th, 2013 at 05:02.

That is unbelievable. I am speechless.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

holy crap!!!! how is that possible?
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Oh My God!! That came from the Dealer? Thank God my Dealer (Coral Springs Audi) is a little more competent than that, and I use the Dealer for warranty work only anyway. I Still say there is nothing better than a Well experienced Indy with a reputation to Keep up. So far your people look quite competent. Good luck with the remainder of the work............
    03 RS6, VIPER ECU, MTM TCU, Milltek Full Catless Non Res setup from Turbos to the boxes(ROAR'S), H&R Coilovers, Hotchkiss ARB's, 19x10's with 275-30-19 PSS's at each corner, Kenwood 9960 Head unit, V1 Radar Locator. 517 Trans Rebuild, ScrollProducts Turbo Rebuild.

i trust the guy doing the work now, most of the maintenance on the car has been done by him since i bought it and never had any issues with the jobs he did, only couple of times i went to Audi and you saw what they did... .

she's almost ready, a few more things to put back and hopefully within couple of days she'll be out running again, it's been a month so far and i really miss her . My mech is working slowly and i didn't want to chase him to speed up as he's doing a fantastic job, he's paying a lot of attention to small details that even i would overlook sometimes, i couldn't be happier with the way he works even at a slower pace. Next step is to crank up the engine after he disconnects the fuel pumps just to build up oil pressure and feed the turbos and then will fire it up and install the carrier for good and head out for a test drive, this is his plan ! Keep my fingers crossed that all works out ok after this major surgery !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	13605   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	13604   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	13606  

finally the Beast is now running free on the streets again , it took 5 weeks but the feeling i have now is unique, it made the wait worth!
    So, the big parts that have been changed were the Torque Converter, 4 x O2, 2 x EGT, coolant temperature sensor, 3 x engine mounts, steering pump, oil cooler pipe(used the Bufkin one), valve cover gaskets, chain tensioner gaskets, turbo seals and other various seals, nuts, studs, sensors....and it all started because of the TC .

The ST coilovers are now on the car as well and TBH, i couldn't be happier with the way they perform so far, i've only done 130 miles since i picked it up last night, but it feels great! It's just a bit firmer than the DRC(at least the DRC i had which wasn't in its best days) but still does very well when cornering, overall i am really happy with the ST so far. Still need to adjust the height as it is now at the same level as with the DRC, i want to lower a bit the rear and then do the alignment!

Gearbox, this was a real concern to me as i didn't want to rebuild it, as it seemed ok to me with no slipping apart from the TC! With the new TC, i can definitely feel the difference, first of all when doing the 50mph test in 5th gear there is no slipping or downshifting to 4th and then back to 5ht as it used to do due to RPM going up a few hundreds revs., second of all it looks like on the highway the ATF temperature is lower than before and the TC goes into TC Closed status very quickly, unlike before when it took a long time to lock up or to not even pass the intermediate phase! Again, i am happy with the GB as well, i just hope it will last a couple of years !

A small shadow would be a misfiring on cylinder 5 at idling which doesn't occur all the time, i think it might have to do with the spark plugs, i didn't get the OEM ones from Audi, but the NGK PR7Q ones, i'll have to check the coil and the spark plug gap!

Over-overall, i fell in love again with this car, it is amazing and it puts again a huge smile on my face, it's really unbelievable how an almost 10 year old car can make me feel, sublime!!!

I got mine back about 2 weeks ago from getting the TC (ACE rebuild), EGTs, O2 sensors, turbo gaskets & seals, exhaust gaskets, oil level sensor, axle boots, O-rings, etc done. I replaced OEM pads with Hawk HPS pads- they had been squealing & making a dust mess the entire 5000 mi they had been on the car- big difference.

My car had been gone for about 5 weeks also (it seems like everything takes 4-6 weeks on this car) & I had been driving a brown 2001 Buick LeSabre this whole time. I almost had to learn how to drive again after I got my car back. It really does put a big smile on your face!

Hopefully I'm good for a while since I had the 75,000 mi timing belt, etc service done before Christmas & have new rotors & pads all the way around. Everything is running & shifting well. I've spent enough on it in the 10 months I've had it to almost buy another car, but its been worth it- nothing else close for ~ $30,000!
    2003 RS6 - Avus Silver Pearl - Ebony Interior - Warm Weather Package - Carbon Fiber - ACE TC - SE Exhaust

+1, i hope too i will now enjoy the car for a long time without any major issues! I've just finished adjusting the suspension on the rear but i think i'll have to raise a bit more in the future as it's still settling down...the front however i got it right from the beginning...i'll post tomorrow some pictures!

How do you find the hawks? i replaced my OEM with some TRW which are horrible, they squeal like you've never heard before...cheap pads, lesson learned! I am now looking to replace it asap!

The HPS have been great so far- no noise & no dust- the OEM would be black just driving around the house after washing- its been ~ 2 weeks since wash & install & they still look decent, & I was embarrassed to pull up to a stop light or drive-thru because of the scream. They seem to stop well, but I haven't had a chance to really test them yet. Weekend after next I am going to do the Tail of the Dragon & the Cherohala Skyway so I'll let you know how they perform after that- I may need new brakes. I hope the weather is good that weekend!! So far I am pleased with them.
    2003 RS6 - Avus Silver Pearl - Ebony Interior - Warm Weather Package - Carbon Fiber - ACE TC - SE Exhaust

here's a couple of pictures freshly taken, for now is as low as i wanna go, i think it will get a bit lower after a while since i guess they're still settling down, i like it !

Quote Originally Posted by jtmdmd1 View Post
    The HPS have been great so far- no noise & no dust- the OEM would be black just driving around the house after washing- its been ~ 2 weeks since wash & install & they still look decent, & I was embarrassed to pull up to a stop light or drive-thru because of the scream. They seem to stop well, but I haven't had a chance to really test them yet. Weekend after next I am going to do the Tail of the Dragon & the Cherohala Skyway so I'll let you know how they perform after that- I may need new brakes. I hope the weather is good that weekend!! So far I am pleased with them.
    any feedback on the HPS? i've just ordered mine and it looks like they come w/o the wear sensor, can i use the one on the old pads? the old pads are still good so the sensor is ok, will it fit?