Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine out - what preventive work should be done??

Quote Originally Posted by mik15 View Post
    any feedback on the HPS? i've just ordered mine and it looks like they come w/o the wear sensor, can i use the one on the old pads? the old pads are still good so the sensor is ok, will it fit?
    Sensor is imbedded into the pad......

then i need to buy a sensor as well i guess....does it come as a separate part?
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Mine came with the pads, hard wired in, i believe. mik, your car is about as overhauled as mine, congrats on the restoration!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

did you also get the HPS? i bought it from horsepowerfreaks.com, they have a very good price, but i am kind of disappointed that they come w/o the wear sensor....regarding the restoration, yeah, it's been pimped , the car drives now very good, i am really happy i did it so i can enjoy it at its full potential, the feeling with a locking TC now is great, no more slipping!

read again the add and it says w/0.572 thickness;w/o wear sensor notch, i guess we do not have a wear sensor but a thickness one, the wear sensor is the one BMW uses on its Idrive ?
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Wear and thickness are the same no? Pretty sure wires were coming out of the hps, plugged into car, i think...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Sensor is imbedded into the pad......
    Inaccurate statement. To clarify, there is no sensor in the pads. There is rather an embeded 'looped' wire end that completes a circuit. When the pads wear beyond a set point (through the looped end of the wire), the signal can no longer be transmited and the circuit becomes an open circuit. We all see this as a 'change pad' warning on the dash. Effectively the same principle that is used to warn you that you have a burnt out bulb on one of your lights.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

For TRUE preventative maintenance, you should remove the stock automatic transmission, and replace it with a 01E 6 speed manual gearbox. You will effectively prevent anymore transmission/TC failures...
    2013 Audi S8