Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible 01E swap for me too

Possible 01E swap for me too

As some of you know, my trans has started to slip during the 1-2 up shift under full power.. Sorta sucks since I've placed some for sale ads on Craigslist, etc. I've adjusted the selling price some but still not too much activity.

So, this takes me to think about a manual swap this winter and keep it for more fun in the spring! I've done a lot of reading and looking about for parts. At this time I think I'm going to source the used parts needed from this place http://audis4parts.com/audi-a6-tip-t...-transmission/

And go with SteveKen's custom install kit..
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Yes! Please keep us updated. I am planning on tackling this sometime next year.

Assuming you are planning on adding the taller 6th gear to the 2.7TT transmission, consider sourcing a Euro TDI box instead -- the price is pretty similar.

Quote Originally Posted by kday View Post
    Assuming you are planning on adding the taller 6th gear to the 2.7TT transmission, consider sourcing a Euro TDI box instead -- the price is pretty similar.
    I haven't researched 6th gear or final drive ratios yet. Maybe you can enlighten me?
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

What is the final drive ratio on the RS6?

6th gear on the C5 2.7tt isn't particularly tall even for that engine, and for a V8 it's pretty far from ideal. I don't have the actual ratios handy but the info is out there.

6th gear is on its own shaft (IIRC) and it is possible to swap in parts from the TDI C5 that was never brought to North America to get the taller ratio. This gives you the tallest 6th gear ratio possible with off the shelf Audi parts. However, there are a lot of variants of the 01E, and some are better than others. Specifically the best ones have a "wide" and "flexible" first gear. The Euro TDI box (code DQT) has the wide flexible 1st and the tall 6th. EFI Express brought over a container of them but I don't know if there are any left. The price was competitive with a used domestic 01E and the 6th gear kit.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    What is the final drive ratio on the RS6?
    4.11:1, which conveniently is the standard for the 01E (with the exception of the allroad)

Thanks! Found this a few minutes ago.

http://www.advancedautomotion.com/pr...roducts_id=108

4.11:1, which conveniently is the standard for the 01E (with the exception of the allroad)
    So, I wouldn't need to swap the rear diff!

That's right. The kit from audis4parts includes a new rear diff because the other C5 automatics have a different final drive. They were willing to knock a little off the price when I asked them.

I've been gathering parts for this conversion for a while now. I have everything but the drive shafts (need new ones for the front and a new prop shaft) and a few miscellaneous bits (VR sensor for the flywheel pickup -- the RS6 one doesn't fit.) And I think I finally solved the CANbus issue which breaks ABS.

Go with Advanced Automotion. I ordered my O1E from Scotty. He's very easy to work with.
    2002 Audi S6 - O1E swap, Tial 770R 2.7T swap

And I think I finally solved the CANbus issue which breaks ABS.
    Please do tell!

Quote Originally Posted by mrdave View Post
    Please do tell!
    Still too early to say for sure, but I think I've isolated the message that the ABS computer expects from the transmission computer, the absence of which causes the ABS to go offline. If I generate it synthetically with the TCU disconnected the ABS unit doesn't throw a fault code. The next step is to analyze how this message coming from the TCU changes while driving, to try to get an idea of what the meaning of the communication is so it can be emulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rictus View Post
    Go with Advanced Automotion. I ordered my O1E from Scotty. He's very easy to work with.
    I second this post. He hooked me up with the .56 Euro TDI 6th gear set. http://audipages.com/tozo/6th%20gear.JPG and it gave me this http://audipages.com/tozo/tn_IMG_2038.JPG
    05 Cayenne turbo

Tozo, you're going insanely fast for being in park!!
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    I second this post. He hooked me up with the .56 Euro TDI 6th gear set. http://audipages.com/tozo/6th%20gear.JPG and it gave me this http://audipages.com/tozo/tn_IMG_2038.JPG
    Very very nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    Nice! 100 MPH @ 3k RPM is awesome.

(I was driving my Miata today. Cruising speed is ~4500 RPM in top gear. It gets annoying.)

Well, I've got all of these parts laying around:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Conversion parts.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	16440Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Euro Recaros.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	16441
    And to boot I have a beautiful new set of floormats to go with the seats. Now to just get a clutch and AMD tune....
    2003 White RS6 2013 Midnight Blue S5
    2013 Daytona RS5 2x944 Turbo's 1974 911 w/'91 3.6ltr motor
    Roy, WA