Thread: Selling RS6; Need help with price and what to do to it.

Selling RS6; Need help with price and what to do to it.

After over a year it's time for me to move the RS6. Got the third row SUV and the allroad. The RS6 of course runs the best out of all them. I have put it up for sale a couple times getting mixed reactions. A couple people had to sell their S4 first and another person wanted me to do "a lot" of work to get him a close to perfect car.

Here is what I have. RS6 74,000 miles. "Standard" options, no carbon fiber inside, blinders or solar roof. P Zeros with a lot of miles left. The front brakes and rotors were replaces about 1,000 miles ago 800 of that was on the interstate. It needs the following working done; Timing belt, oil change, RS6 badges (necessary?), alignment (barley off but annoys the shit out of me.) Besides that the car is of course, amazing. I have been offered $20K as is, it but I had to do bend over backwards to have everything checked out. Which involved me going to a town 150 miles away. It has been checked out locally was good to go. All records showing maintenance and recalls have been done besides the gas tank work.

Should I spend the money where it needs no work at all, this would cost me about $2,300? Or sell as is and move it for $20K? Can I get more?

This car is in Billings Montana and am trying to have sold by the end of October. Any suggestions are welcomed if anyone has sold their RS6 recently I would like to chat on what took place.

First off, good luck with the sale... I think $20k is reasonable, but every potential owner WILL inquire about the timing belt and 75K maint. If the car is cosmetically a gem in and out, you probably get your price without the t-belt done---just be prepared for whatever you ax'n, that will be the potential buyer's negotiation leverage point.

I looked at over 40 RS6's and drove 8 before buying mine. It needed a new suspension and the 35k, but the price, detailed condition, maint history and test drive sealed the deal. A prospective buyer at your price point can/will consider more than just the timing belt replacement... You just gotta give'm a reason!

On the other hand, if you sink $2300 into it and ask $22-23k and the car is cosmetically rough, you prolly won't get the timing belt cost back...

Just my .02...

Post more info here (color combo, maint, history--if good, pics etc.)

Once sold, make sure he new owner is aware this site!

Good luck!
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post
    Once sold, make sure the new owner is aware this site!
    This site alone adds value to your car. Buying an RS6 is joining an exclusive club.
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

You MIGHT be able to get another grand or so if you hold out. Or take the 20k and be done with it. Matter of your own personal priorities.. 20k is on the lower end of the fair side, but def not unreasonable.

In general, its a better move to sell it as is. Doubt you will get the t-belt money back. New owner can do it himself, and be confident the work has just been done.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Geoff-

In March I offered you $20k, and you emailed back saying you would take it. I responded saying I had done research online and wanted to have the car checked at Audi, have it checked by my personal technician, and datalog the car with the VAG to test the integrity of the torque converter and transmission (none of which would have incurred any expense for you). I said I wanted to be sure Audi would sell me a warranty (you provided information showing that they would). I also asked about the true cost of timing belt replacement that you quoted at $1500, after finding on this very site that others paid $2800. You literally never responded to me after this email. It was the first time in my life someone had accepted my offer on a car and never contacted me again. Very strange.

To be honest, I assumed the deal breaker was that I requested to datalog the car, and that there was an expensive repair looming due to a slipping transmission or torque converter problem, as is common with these cars. What else could it have been? This is why I did not contact you again. I was fully prepared to buy the car in cash right then.

Did you have the rear bumper repaired? I only mention this because I am reading about it in our old email. I don't even remember seeing something wrong with it when I looked at your car.

To anyone interested, I test drove this car and it blew my mind (I had never driven an RS6). The car was very clean and Geoff seemed like a good guy.