Thread: C5 Transmission

Dash C5 Transmission

I got a '04 RS6 Avant, loving the car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0435.jpg 
Views:	880 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	12990

However, if my transmission should need replacing, will the transmission from any of the newer models fit/work properly? Have this been done before, and is it recommended by Audi?

Regards.
    2004 Audi RS6 - 4.2 V8
    1993 Audi S4 - 4.2 V8
    2007 Audi A8 - 4.2 V8

After seeing the nifty new rs5 having a 4.2 and a dsg to handle the power... Got me wondering if it'll work. Its no 6 speed but I like to know my options!
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

There have been small discussions about this before regarding the C6 transmission. I think the problem lies within the software coding or something.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by ThrillHouse View Post
    After seeing the nifty new rs5 having a 4.2 and a dsg to handle the power... Got me wondering if it'll work. Its no 6 speed but I like to know my options!
    The new rs5 has the same hp but much lower torque than the c5 rs6. I have a feeling that trans would get trashed the same.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I was wondering this same thing...it seems like software issue could be solved by a custom tune of some sort....but then i suppose you would start adding $$$$
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

Your best option is probably a manual transmission swap after your auto dies, if you don't want to replace it with the same thing. Although, I'd love to see someone tackle a C6 trans swap.

Nice pic, car looks sweet!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    There have been small discussions about this before regarding the C6 transmission. I think the problem lies within the software coding or something.
    On a similar note, I know that the 4.2 D3 A8's transmission will bolt right up to the RS6 motor, but there is physically no room for the pass side turbo due to the front diff design. The front axle geometry will also change, too. TozoM8 can comment on this if anyone is interested.

Plus I'm guessing that the same software issues would happen with the D3 transmission, too.

Manual conversion it is, then. PM me if interested in this.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

I had the same idea/curiosity regarding the 7-speed DSG. So I called ZF's US office and spoke to an engineer. As he patiently explained to me (in a very dumbed-down manner) the TCU module on the DSG transmissions have to "speak" to the ECU also to be able to match revs correctly. So he made it seem that writing that much code would be a daunting task (well beyond reasonable.) Sounded like a VHS vs. Beta mismatch to me.

FWIW, Jim

Thank you for your quick replies - So my choices are as follows:

- Replace transmission with an identical automatic transmission
    - Replace transmission with an manual transmission
    - Replace both the transmission and engine*

* I mean, wouldn't it be cool to have a 5.0 V10 in a C5? :P

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Nice pic, car looks sweet!
    Thanks, it's not customized in any way, so it's a little "anonymous" in regular traffic, if you know what I mean. It doesn't attract any unwanted attention!
    2004 Audi RS6 - 4.2 V8
    1993 Audi S4 - 4.2 V8
    2007 Audi A8 - 4.2 V8

Good info. I'd think eliminating the grenade (I mean torque converter) with dsg would be good. Non issue it looks like thou!
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

There is also the option of upgrading the stock ZF trans - send it to TozoM8. upgrade valve body, and whatever else is inside that I can't comprehend. This would be still a bit less than a 6 speed swap, and should be dead reliable afterward. I really considered it, but for me the 6 speed is a big draw, especially after driving one.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

regarding the DSG gearbox, i have a friend with an '11 VW GOlf R20 heavily modified and tuned by Revo and the car is doing now over 500hp and 600NM of torque, but the gearbox has been modified in Germany to be able to keep up with the torque...so i guess the stock DSG will not be able to handle the torque of the RS6 C5. The V10 RS6 gearbox would be the right one as it can hold up to 1000NM of torque, which is more than enough
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

regarding the DSG gearbox, i have a friend with a '11 VW GOlf R20 heavily modified and tuned by Revo and the car is doing now over 500hp and 600NM of torque, but the gearbox has been modified in Germany to be able to keep up with the torque...so i guess the stock DSG will not be able to handle the torque of the RS6 C5. The V10 RS6 gearbox would be the right one as it can hold up to 1000NM of torque, which is more than enough
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

How are warrenty companies with regards to replacing bad TC and trans with ACE and upgraded trans? Will they help out or do they only replace stock with stock? I'm going to be facing the TC issue soon and want to go ACE and possibly upgraded trans, but only if warranty foots the bill...
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

Quote Originally Posted by Amulet-S6 View Post
    I had the same idea/curiosity regarding the 7-speed DSG. So I called ZF's US office and spoke to an engineer. As he patiently explained to me (in a very dumbed-down manner) the TCU module on the DSG transmissions have to "speak" to the ECU also to be able to match revs correctly. So he made it seem that writing that much code would be a daunting task (well beyond reasonable.) Sounded like a VHS vs. Beta mismatch to me.

FWIW, Jim
    ^^^^^^^^^^^ this. Rebuilt 5HP24A or 01E 6 speed manual. The 5HP26 has the front output flanges 4.5" closer to the motor so your axles would blow off at 70mph.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Might aswell just get a 2014 RS6 aswell then
    2004 Audi RS6 - 4.2 V8
    1993 Audi S4 - 4.2 V8
    2007 Audi A8 - 4.2 V8