Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to delay the death of a dying auto box

How to delay the death of a dying auto box

Thanks to Greg (aka 905084), I used his guide in order to bypass my line pressure solenoid (from activating, which lowers line pressure). I know nothing about auto trans, but this is pretty straight forward and easy. Thought I would share my thoughts and pics..

First I drained the pan, which is straightforward. I used a clean container to catch all of my fluid, in order to re-use it since I had just serviced the trans 2 years ago (vs "lifetime fluid, more on that later). Before I drained it, I made sure I had the big 17mm hex driver to get the fill plug out. It was TIGHT and required a breaker bar. Then removed the pan after pulling 40 T27 torx bolts out. This is the glory behind the curtain. Filter still on

Closeup of solenoid panel. The one we are after is the green one (AKA "EDS-1"), hard not to miss it.

Next I made my resistor "adaptor." I originally bought the same 2x10ohm 1 watt resistors from Radio Shack for $1.60, but an electrician ended up giving me an actual 5.1ohm 2 watt resistor which is pretty much exactly what we need, and would be more reliable. He has a ton, if anyone local needs one. I couldn't find 5ohm anywhere.

Finished Product. Blades fit perfectly into the connector.

Reference shot when installed

All in all, very simple to do. Longest time was spent waiting for coolant to cool down, and then the refill process.

Here are some gratuitus pics of the dirty pan, my metallic chia-pets, and how DIRTY the oil was. Smelled a bit burnt. For reference, I had BND fluids put in about 35k miles/2 years ago, and I currently have 160k miles. Original trans from what I understand, but 2nd TC.

When I turned the key on, no red PRNDS. YAY! it does engage harder into gear from neutral, but does not slam at all, nothing near what it did when slipping and crashing into the next gear. One time, it did go into safemode before start. VAGCOM showed a short to plus on some solenoid (N215). But it was in 4th gear, not 5th. It was actually WAY more driveable in 4th, just higher RPM on freeway. 5th is pretty annoying to start in. Not sure why it decided to change gears in safemode. But its back to just driving normally, no slipping when hot. I would call it a success, given the circumstances and was worth the time and "money." At least I can drive it for now when I'm in a pinch until I wait for my 6 speed to be completed.
    Last edited by Brav; September 22nd, 2012 at 02:55.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

The N215 is the main pressure regulating valve, the one you just bypassed. Now you have full pressure on the valve body. I am not sure how long it will last. I would replace that N215 so it can adjust the main pressure and remove that resistor.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Sweet! Like a lot of things I find, enjoy it while it lasts!! Glad it worked and well, the price is right. Great pics and write up. Thanks!

Tozo, do you think that this solenoid failing is causing the slipping? Or lack of pressure on the A clutch? Cause if the EDS-1 solenoid is failing, it would be a great fix for me and a lot of others. And how would I tell?

Thanks for the post fellas. Really like the info, and thanks Tozo for more details.

Holy hell on the magnets! We cleaned my trans at 90k and none of the metal fur, fingers crossed it looks like that next year.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Thanks for the post fellas. Really like the info, and thanks Tozo for more details.

Holy hell on the magnets! We cleaned my trans at 90k and none of the metal fur, fingers crossed it looks like that next year.
    I had some fur on mine at 45k and the trans fluid was greenish.
    But things shifted mo betta when it was completed
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Would a new EDS-1 solenoid solve the issues here?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Would a new EDS-1 solenoid solve the issues here?
    I swapped the entire VB on mine with no changes in slipping so I would tend to say no. The elegant solution would be to have a TCU that would fix this, but probably not worth the engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    I swapped the entire VB on mine with no changes in slipping so I would tend to say no. The elegant solution would be to have a TCU that would fix this, but probably not worth the engineering.
    Did you replace your old VB with a brand new one? Or could the one you put in there be bad too?

Its just odd to me that this resistor "fixes" what seems to be a solenoid issue.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Did you replace your old VB with a brand new one? Or could the one you put in there be bad too?

Its just odd to me that this resistor "fixes" what seems to be a solenoid issue.
    It could be the solenoid, but if the computer and the ohm meter shows it to be good, it probably is. The resistor just "fools" the TCU into thinking it is actually activating the solenoid. I think the A clutch goes bad (due to o-ring issues, fluid issues, or normal wear) and that the reduced pressure commanded by the TCU through EDS-1 causes it to slip when the trans is on the way out. I've got one more solenoid I could try, but honestly right now, I'm not ready to dig into it again. It drives awesome when the boost is there, and I can live with the idiosyncrasies of the fix.

Since you have the parts car, you should have just started the 6 spd conversion instead. Three full days of work should do it.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Steve, how is the conversion with respect to the coding? I think I am married to my extra engine, and would like to next year find a 4.2 allroad, swap engines and mate a 6mt to engine. Pm if u like, as I just thread jacked the PO thread, sorry.
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrapped View Post
    Steve, how is the conversion with respect to the coding? I think I am married to my extra engine, and would like to next year find a 4.2 allroad, swap engines and mate a 6mt to engine. Pm if u like, as I just thread jacked the PO thread, sorry.
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, I am in the process of trying to do a 6mt swap in my 4.2 allroad. I am currently at an impass due to ecu and trying to get ahold of the man that may able to sovle that....

But I wanted to ask if you ever moved forward with your 4.2 swap?

Quote Originally Posted by thisoneguy View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread, I am in the process of trying to do a 6mt swap in my 4.2 allroad. I am currently at an impass due to ecu and trying to get ahold of the man that may able to sovle that....

But I wanted to ask if you ever moved forward with your 4.2 swap?
    Swap on your 4.2 Allroad should be much simpler, mechanically. I believe Steve has a contact that can provide an ECU tune, albeit for our 4.2TTs, that eliminates the CEL from not having the trans signals, etc.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

I think I am trying to contact the same man... He is a rather difficult person to get ahold of.

A little bit of a necro bump, but I'm looking to get any long term feedback from people who have done the solenoid resistor mod, how long did it last for you post-mod?

Quote Originally Posted by jibberjive View Post
    A little bit of a necro bump, but I'm looking to get any long term feedback from people who have done the solenoid resistor mod, how long did it last for you post-mod?
    IInterested to know as well... I just passed 75k and starring to get nervous/anxious about dealing with trans BEFORE I NEED TO.

Brav..........905084........can you please chime in?

How many miles did this resistor fix last for you guys?

Thanks!
    '03 RS6: Full APR EMCS/TCU, Nurburgring Bronze 19x8.5, Freshly Rebuilt Turbos, Gutted Precats, Stern Racing Mounts, SAI Delete, Aux Radiator Delete, Venair Hoses, Koni Yellows.....