Thread: Gear oil: GL-4 or GL-5 ????

Gear oil: GL-4 or GL-5 ????

Getting ready to replace the output prop shaft seal... Was wondering if anyone knows if the gear lube spec is GL4, GL5 or just "grinn and bear it" and purchase Genuine Audi Gear lube?
    Thanks!
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

i've used the Genuine Audi oil for gearbox and differentials! I've replaced too the output prop-shaft seal about 6-7k miles ago and so far is good, no more leaks, some suggested that the housing should also be changed with an upgraded part, but my mechanic, certified Audi mechanic, said the seal would it....so far he's been right
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

I have redline to use. It's 75-90 ns. Mark in Washington made the recommendation.

Whats the capacity?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    I have redline to use. It's 75-90 ns. Mark in Washington made the recommendation.

Whats the capacity?
    Ok. I think the capacity is about 850ml...
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

According to All-Data it only specifies 75-90 synthetic. However I don't see any reason to use GL-4 in a strictly hypoid gear setup. I use GL-4 for manual transmissions with syncro's that require specific additives for proper syncro engagement; specific anti-rust additives are different between gear lubes.

Far as I know/knew Audi has used Castrol/BP lubes for some time.

Personally, I am using Amsoil (get it from www.oiloregon.com) Severe Gear 75-140 in all differentials,( ATF in transmission and 5-40 Euro in engine). Same cold weather protection, but much better hot protection. Keep in mind the center diff. is right above the catalytic converters that operate at 1,000F+. It uses less than a quart of oil, which too me is nearly terrifying. It will get changed every year- hopefully won't have to replace the output shaft seal (updated drive flange as in the S8's, too?) anytime soon. Same as the Honda Ridgeline (low oil capacity center diff). Lifetime fluid, eh? hmmmm
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com

Good perspective, and food for thought regarding the center diff directly above the main cats...

BTW, where are you located?

Thanks; sometimes it seems that OEM's don't think of those things. Like fuel lines next to exhaust pipes is probably the most hanious offense I've seen, but many more that are also questionable.

Updated profile: Eugene, OR. I see you're from MN- used to live in WI (brrrr!)
    Cheers, G2/Gary
    C5-RS6/KWV3/Revo/H20 Inj./Custom BBK/Custom cooling/CNC arms \ VW Touareg V10 \ B7A4 2.0T Avant \ Mk1 Callaway Scirocco \ audirs6parts@gmail.com / www.oilpro.myamsoil.com