Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 01E Manual Swap process begins

01E Manual Swap process begins

I don't have much to report just yet, except that my auto is slipping. Its drivable, but annoying.

While doing all of my cost/benefit analysis of going back to an auto or doing the manual, it was clear it would never be close in price. It was a big nut to swallow, estimating at least 10k including labor and parts, without unforeseeable problems. I searched for a donor car, salvaged or otherwise, and came across the cheapest 6 speed A6 in the country which was only about 20 miles from me. Picked her up for 3200. I think it was fate..

After a test drive and a trip to Raven to confirm its condition, it was decided it was the perfect car to cannibalize. Remarkably good shape for the mileage, except the paint was pretty faded and dinged. As far as the parts I needed were concerned, it was perfect. More expensive initially, but a LOT easier than chasing down individual parts. And she shifted beautifully. There is maybe 2k in salvageable parts (engine, interior, brakes, chassis) so in the end it won't cost me so much, but I do have to pay Raven to dismantle it.

I bought it Friday and drove it the same day 600 miles round trip on a shooting adventure in Nevada.. without regard for the exterior, off-roading on a dry river bed was awesome! Kept up with the trucks, as long as I had clearance. More parts for Raven to clean. I will say, its been a relative joy to drive the A6 manual.. very confortable daily driver. For the price, its outstanding.. I would consider picking up another like this in the future just to take some miles off the RS. Rides like a boat however..

Anyhow, here is the happy couple, ready to be joined in holy Frankenstein matrimony. Just waiting for Raven to finalize their new clutch package for it, and their new adapter plate which is being engineered now. I will post the progress as it comes, probably a few weeks out from anything else.

03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Nice!

I looked for a donor car for a while but didn't find anything that was suitable. I'm still collecting bits and pieces...

i had an A6 like your donor car some years ago, exactly same interior and outside color , loved it, even though the regular C5 is a boat in terms of handling, it's very comfortable on long distances. Good luck with the project !
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

you are my new best friend!

I am watching this one forever!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Please update us regularly! This will great to watch. I'm excited for you.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I've been thinking about parting ways with my 6-spd C5, but finally decided that I'll follow this same path when the tranny fails in the RS.

Will you do a writeup of the parts salvaged from the A6? It will be a great help to know what not to sell when I rip mine apart!

Thanks all for the encouragement. I will update each step as I go, and will try to take pics @ Raven during the more serious surgeries.

There is already a list of parts needed posted on the other Manual Swap thread, but I will go through my own as well.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

Yes!! I will be watching this closely as I plan to do a manual swap once I have funds available. Are you going to do any rebuilding or gear swapping for your transmission? Is the adapter plate still readily available? What's the latest on the software situation?

Quote Originally Posted by mrdave View Post
    Yes!! I will be watching this closely as I plan to do a manual swap once I have funds available. Are you going to do any rebuilding or gear swapping for your transmission? Is the adapter plate still readily available? What's the latest on the software situation?
    Due to budget, I am just throwing the damn thing in. Its already expensive without doing any mods. Waste of future labor, but thats all I can swing while starting a new business. Adapter plate is being made now as is the new multi-friction clutch. Raven suggests EPL custom tune for manual, but is not necessary. Its just optimized for shifting without a TC, etc.

Watching... Did Raven suggest a rebuild on the trans? That looks like an early style 01E car... i.e., 1-2 shift collar weakness. Just curious what they said. Also, what are you ending up paying for adapter plate?
    03 RS6 :: 01 allroad

Quote Originally Posted by alrightroad View Post
    Watching... Did Raven suggest a rebuild on the trans? That looks like an early style 01E car... i.e., 1-2 shift collar weakness. Just curious what they said. Also, what are you ending up paying for adapter plate?
    Naturally a rebuild would be the prudent thing. But I have driven this car 800 miles with zero engagement issues. As I said, budget forces risk. Price not set, but expected to be around 950 IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    Naturally a rebuild would ...
    I bet she'll be fine. I call first dibs on your TCU if you want to sell. That will tide me over until I'm ready for 01E magic. Making the 01E swap in my allroad next month along with stage 3 goodies so it wil be of a dry run. RS is different beast for sure but hopefully the allroad swap will be a confidence booster.

Quote Originally Posted by alrightroad View Post
    I bet she'll be fine. I call first dibs on your TCU if you want to sell. That will tide me over until I'm ready for 01E magic. Making the 01E swap in my allroad next month along with stage 3 goodies so it wil be of a dry run. RS is different beast for sure but hopefully the allroad swap will be a confidence booster.
    Sure. I will have a lot of items to sell to offset some of my costs..

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    Sure. I will have a lot of items to sell to offset some of my costs..
    Alrighty. I'll be on standby when you're ready to unload. hopefully price is within reach. email me when ready... ehartley at bluetowne com

Thanks... -eric

Raven ... Adapter plate?????
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Chris, any update on the project? its been a month!

Still waiting for them to finish and test the new clutch. Nothing new to report, except I have been able to drive my RS6 a bit my jumping the high pressure solenoid... :/

if only the ABS and traction control issues were solved - I would have done this swap already.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo