Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Looking to Buy- Need Help!!!

Newbie Looking to Buy- Need Help!!!

Hello All-
    I'm new to this forum, RS6's, and Audi's in general. But I love high performance luxury and AWD and am looking at an 03' RS6. What should I know about this car? I have done a fair amount of research but not enough to be satisfied yet and I am going to look at one this weekend. What should I look for as far as problem areas go? I have heard about the DRC system being a common problem area on these cars, what can I visually look for(other than oil pouring out the the shocks)? Also what are the major expenses of this car? I imagine there's not a cheap part on the car but what are the abnormally expensive parts that might have a tendency to go bad? Also general maintenance costs, brakes, bushings, wear items, etc.. I am pretty much looking for the " I wish I had known that before" thing, the years of knowledge and experience that I do not have time to study on these forums before I look at this car.

Thanks in advance!

Also I apologize to all, I know a lot of people would probably tell me to read the forums and i'll find my answers, i'm just short on time and am worried i will miss something critical.

Alternator goes bad around 80k miles. Part is $475 if not a refurb.
    Timing belt needs replacement at 75k. With manual labor it's about $2500-3k at stealership. I found an Indy shop to do the full service for $1700

Wow thats a pricey alternator, any idea how much a refurb. one runs? Are the timing belts known to break or is that just a recommended service interval?

I see RockAuto.com has AC Delco refurb. alternators for $180+core. Thats not quite as bad

Try to find a car that you can warranty. There are some current threads on the subject. Or be able to work on it yourself or have a good mechanic. Most repair costs are 2-4 times what you would expect. The Torque Converter and Trans are some big time money areas that you should look out for. You can pull the DRC and put on Koni's for $1k with labor if you mechanic is good. Timing belt is big $2-3k cost depending. Scan for codes. I'd practically suggest getting the Ross-Tech vag-com and scanning a car before buying.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

The car has 64,000 miles so i think it should be able to be warrantied. I'm not scared to work on it, i would probably even tackle the timing belt in need be. But i'd rather have awarratny and not have to worry about it.

whats a Ross-Tech Vag-com scanner and where could i get on? lol. I have a basic OBDII scan reader but its pretty basic

I guess another thing that scares me is the car only has 64,000 miles and its priced at $24,000. Seems a little low compared to others out there???

Good price, but yes, that is concerning.

It will be due for a 75K (timing belt=due every 40k miles) service soon. The belts dont normally snap, but the rollers can go bad. It is cheap insurance on a rare $25k+ engine!

Post your city, maybe there is a member near there. Otherwise, Drive the car HARD for ~30min or so. Scan it with Rosstech Vagcom and/or Take it to Audi for a PPI (~$120).

If it all checks out get a warranty for it from Fidelity (~$4-5K). I can assure you you will get your money back, and probably beyond!
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

I'm in the Chicago area. The car is at Audi of Schaumburg. So it is already at a Audi dealer, is this Rosstech Vagcom something I can ask them to provide?

If it is at an Audi Dealer, buy it, get the Fidelity Extended warranty and drive the piss out of it! When it breaks, take it back to Audi and love every minute of the warranty!

Only think you will need to do replace brakes ($$$$) , timing belt, and oil changes

Brakes and Timing belt will set you back ~$3-4K.

That car looks nice BTW! Jump on it! Just get the Fidelity Warranty!

when you say "Only think you will need to do replace brakes ($$$$) , timing belt, and oil changes" does that mean the Fidelity Warranty doesn't cover those things, or that's what these cars generally need for service?

Also, according to the Carfax, the dealer who currently has it just installed new front pads and rotors

Quote Originally Posted by bobob5511 View Post
    when you say "Only think you will need to do replace brakes ($$$$) , timing belt, and oil changes" does that mean the Fidelity Warranty doesn't cover those things, or that's what these cars generally need for service?
    Correct, those are normal maintenance items so they are not covered.

My 2 cents as a new RS6 owner...
    If I was buying the car again, and knowing what I know about warranties, I would give strong consideration to buying from an Audi dealer and then make them throw in a 3 / 36 or 4 / 48 Fidelity Platinum warranty. If they are selling the car they will be most compelled to work with you on the warranty. In case of this car I would pay full asking price (possibly even a little more) if they included the warranty. I bought the car in the same exterior color, paid less than what you're looking at, but paid a chunk for the warranty. Also, if the car has new front brakes that is a nice plus.

No warranty period is going to cover the stuff that wears out and is expected to be replaced - even the mfg. warranty.

Lastly, this car is awesome - is unlike anything I've ever driven.

The only thing that really bothers me is the timing belt. I guess i'm having a hard time seeing the value of the extended warranty if its not going to cover that???

The only thing that really bothers me is the timing belt. I guess i'm having a hard time seeing the value of the extended warranty if its not going to cover that???
    This is a maintenence issue.

You should be more concerned with the DRC and the Transmission.
    All the other stuff is less concerning.

Warranty - find the best you can afford and don't look back.
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

If I had to do it over, I would buy a car with blown out trans and DRC. Upgrade both to 6 speed and KW, drive off into the sunset.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    If I had to do it over, I would buy a car with blown out trans and DRC. Upgrade both to 6 speed and KW, drive off into the sunset.
    Or buy Riccardo's car
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared