Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS6 vs. M5 - One Man's Opinion (VERY Long)

RS6 vs. M5 - One Man's Opinion (VERY Long)

Before I can start this thread, I feel some background is in order. I bought my first BMW in 1995, an M3 coupe. Over the next seven years the following cars went in and out of my automotive stable: 1997 M3, 1997 540i, 2000 M5, 2001 X5 4.4, 2002 M5 and 2002 X5 4.6 (still own). I was in the final 25 in BMW’s Search for the Ultimate Driver. So, you see, I’ve been quite the BMW fan.

A good offer for the 2002 M5 sent that one on its way and it was replaced with a 2002 Audi A6 4.2 sport. I really wanted AWD for northwest winters and I wanted an automatic transmission. The A6 was a really nice car but no M5.

So, I complained to my dealer about the lack of “sport” in the A6 and the very sloppy shifting automatic. Eventually, they talked me into an RS6. And, almost a year later, the RS6 is now here. The dealer sold the A6 on consignment.

The RS6, M5, Mercedes E55 and even the Jaguar S-Type R are all very credible cars. In my opinion, they are all excellent machines aimed at slightly different markets. None of them are “bad” and, frankly, I could not care less which would “kill” which or which is faster to 60 mph. For my daily driving, performance wise, they are about equal. Since I don’t race my cars, .1 second or .1g lateral means nothing to me one way or another other than bragging rights. Since I’ve owned two M5’s and now the RS6 (but not the Mercedes or Jag), I’ll confine my opinions to the cars I know well.

The first thing I noticed when I drove the RS6 is how flat it corners. The DRC works – and it works very well. Forget skid pad numbers and transient response specs, the RS6 is flatter through corners than the M5 and easier to handle in everyday driving. It may or may not be true that the M5 is better at the track but I’ll take the way the RS6 corners any day for my daily driver. Big win for the RS6.

The second thing I noticed was the “surging” or “hesitation” the RS6 has just off idle. I’m sure this is a function of the turbos spooling up so, for off idle response, the nod goes to the M5 for its instantaneous response. However, at about 2000 rpms, my opinion changes. By then, the RS6 turbos are spinning and the response is not only instantaneous but far stronger than the M5. Must be the flat torque curve in the RS6. Call this one a tie.

Which brings me to the third point – Quattro. The M5 will oversteer if the throttle is engaged too heavily in a low gear. I drive single lane farm roads daily and about once per week in the rainy northwest winters, someone winds up in the field, sometimes upside down. So, when I hit the M5 to pass and feel the rear end trying to get in front of the front end, I have a sphincter muscle that gets a big workout. With the RS6, the car just pulls straight. No drama, just speed. It’s additive. The M5 may be better at the track but, for my daily driver, AWD is better than RWD. Big, big, big win for the RS6. This alone would cause me to choose an RS6 over an M5.

Manual vs. automatic. I can feel the flames from the M5 guys about the control a manual provides and how wimpy an automatic is. And, they are right. But, I never did get good with the M5 manual and even occasionally stalled it in traffic. My shifts were rough and sometimes embarrassing. OK, I’ll take some heat. I’m not Michael Andretti and don’t claim to be. But, the M5 manual was the most difficult manual I’d ever owned. I’m told there was some kind of pollution control device that changes the way the engine responds during gear changes. Maybe so. But, I never liked it and the manual was a major reason why I let the M5 go. After two years, it was time. The RS6 automatic is just what the doctor ordered for me despite not being as controllable as the manual. For me, another big win for the RS6. Others may disagree.

The E39 M5 and the C5 RS6 are about the same vintage (I think) but the M5 felt older and more dated. Let’s look at interior first. The M5’s felt cramped. I had to remove a clip to get the driver seat to go all the way back and, when I did so, there was very little leg room behind me. The RS6 seat has sufficient travel and a reasonable sized adult can fit behind me. However, both my M5’s had the beautiful luxury interior with leather covered dash and console. This was much nicer than the fake stuff in the RS6. I find the RS6 seats more comfortable, maybe because they don’t hold as tightly as the M5. Maybe I’m just getting old but the looser seats feel better even if they don’t hold as well. The parking brake in the RS6 will hit the center armrest if the armrest is down. What were the Audi designers thinking??? The navigation in the M5 beats the RS6 with its display and map but it is much slower to program and impossible to read with polarized sunglasses. The RS6 is visible with sunglasses. Still, neither car has a nav that can match Acura or Lexus. The RS6 Bose audio system is clearer and much simpler to operate than the M5 with tone controls and DSP (why both???). The M5 bass options kicks. No such option on the RS6. Cool carbon fiber available in the RS6; no such option in the M5. I like them both for different reasons with a slight nod to the RS6 for comfort and ergonomics.

As for exterior, I like the boxy look of the M5 and the quad exhaust was very cool. The RS6 is a little more bubble shaped but pleasing nonetheless. The RS6 black sound enhancing exhaust integrates nicely with the bumper for a cleaner look than the M5. I love the bulging fenders of the RS6 and the deep dish wheel look of the M5. My wife prefers the RS6 but, frankly, I like them both, again for different reasons. Call this one a tie.

Sound. Can anyone argue with the RS6 sound enhancing exhaust??? Nod to RS6.

Price. A lot has been said about the high price of the RS6. It did cost about $10,000 more than the M5 (both M5’s and the RS6 were optioned to the max). The RS6 came with Quattro, an automatic and DRC. For me, that’s worth the $10,000 right there.

If I had to do it all over again and if both the M5 and RS6 could be ordered new right now, I’d take the RS6 for Quattro, automatic and DRC. The rest is icing on the cake. The M5 is a great car; the RS6 is better suited to me.

Will a 500+ hp E60 M5 change my mind? Probably not. The RS6 is quick enough. Would a 500+ hp M5 with SMG and x-Drive get my attention. You betcha.

And then the next generation RS6 will come along and get my attention again. Isn’t this fun?

I hope you enjoyed reading these opinions.

Regards,

Bob
    Last edited by oregonbob; October 28th, 2003 at 01:01.

well said

That was one great write up.
    Regardless of the outcome of your decision, I feel you were very honest in your opinion, and kept it as such.

I've never owned the M5, but been a BMW fan for many years, and still am. The M5 has always been a favorite of mine.

As you correctly stated, when it comes to all these power sedans, you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Thanks for your input!!!

Nene,

Thanks. I tried to be honest and fair. I am very happy you agree.

Bob

Great analysis Bob.
    I definitely agree with all your points regarding the AWD, coming from the Pacific Northwest myself.
    Hopefully Audi can create the same loyalty that you have with BMW over the years. I maintain your BMW level of loyalty with Audi because they have never let me down and continue to build excellent cars IMO.

Bob,

Quite possiabilly one of the best write ups from someone who has OWNED both cars. It is easy for someone to state a very limitied opnion about a car they have driven and call it a full blown I don't like this or don't like that. There is really no way to tell unless you have owned the car and lived with it. I have driven an M5 and I think that they are fantastic cars with great balance but I have not owned one. Additionally, I have great respect for BMW and their motorsports programs they have been very impressive and consistant over the years.

I am however an Audi FREAK as my history of cas will show. Bob thank you for giving me/us a very through and intresting comparison of both cars.

Bauer

07 A4 2.0T quattro STaSIS Challenge Package
    03 RS6 She will be missed
    01 S8
    01 S4 Stage 3 with KO4 turbos, RS4 intercoolers, Revolver cams, STaSIS close ratio gearbox, STaSIS rear LSD, STaSIS 4:1 center diff, STaSIS Motorsports, STaSIS front and rear race control arms, STaSIS motor mounts, Alcon 6 piston, Clutch Master stage 4 6 puck clutch, AWE fueling kit, RS4 bumperRecaro's.... etc, etc, etc

Wow! Bob, I almost want to call "TROLL!!!", because your post is so even-handed and rational!!!

Instead, though, I'll just thank you for the most objective, realistic comparison of the real-world capabilities of these two awesome sedans that I've ever had the pleasure to read.

Thank you!

Amen. (Can I say that without bring religeous undertones to my statement? )

Brilliant write-up. Candid, concise, and well written. I appreciate your comments. I'll have my RS6 on the 18th or 19th of November - FINALLY. I don't think, however, anyone will want a comparison write-up between an Audi 225 TT roadster and the RS6. Mmm, the top doesn't come down in the RS6.

Great write up! Prior to the the RS6, I was a HUGE BMW nut, even after owning the A6 4.2 (I hated this car). The M5 will be one of my TOP 5 of ALL TIME! I love the RS6 and can relate to a lot of what Bob had stated. The price of the RS6 was never an issue for me and like Bob, the Quattro alone was worth $10K for me.

The E60 M5 will be something to look forward to (but I have to admit that I'm not crazy about the E60 body) but I'm sure the BMW Engineers have a nice suprise for us!

Thanks for the objective comparison, Bob. As a fanatic of both those wonderful performance sedans, I am glad to read that you have found the right one for you.

Thanks for your contribution.

Great write up, which really highlights what I think is the RS6 greatest assett, in that is that it is so useable. It is safe and secure due to the AWD so in any conditions the car feels and is so sure footed that it hardly ever needs to employ its traction control systems. I have not owned an M5, but I have had a M3 and some other very powerful RWD cars which in the hands of most road drivers if your not really careful, in anything other than perfect conditions, can spend much of there time floundering around with the traction control limiting the power.

The RS6 just goes and that for me sums up its appeal. If you want a family car that is safe but still fast and fun there is nothing better, especially if you live in Europe and can get the Avant Estate.

Great write-up!

According to sport auto which is the leading car magazine to test cars on Nürburgring, the RS6 is a little faste than the M5.

http://www.track-challenge.com/main_...r1=53%26Car2=3
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Good writup Interesting to read.

But I really like the manual in the M5 and if I would choose I may would go for a manual E60 M5 instead of an SMG.

I agree with you that the RS6 is very easy to get to know and it takes a short time feeling familiar with it. But I have my thoughts on the automaitc :MTM:

See you on www.m5board.com after Geneva in March

Again, great writeup!

Bob,

Great writeup. Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. One question: how do you find the M5 and RS6 compare relative to build quality and stability (daily driving and at higher speeds)? (OK, that was at least two questions rolled into one - LOL). Thanks,

Finnus

2001 S4 Silver Triptonik
    2003 RS 6 Muguello Blue

Funny...

Originally posted by Gustav
    See you on www.m5board.com after Geneva in March
    I am really looking forward to Geneva also, because that's where the B6 RS 4 may bow!

Great write up, seems to be very even handed and honest.
    +=====================================+
    ChrisB aka TheBrit, as named by Clout & SantorinSteve over on AW.

Now
    +-------
    Daytona Grey C6 RS 6 Avant
    Meteor Grey S5 Tip

History
    +-------
    Lava Grey C6 allroad 3.0 TDI
    Daytona Grey D3 S8 (twice)
    Ebony Black D3 W12 SWB
    Ebony Black C5 allroad 2.5 TDI Tip Limited Edition
    Silver A2 1.6 FSI SE
    Silver C5 A6 Avant 2.7T Sport
    Volcano Black B5 A4 2.8 qm Sport

Bob,

Excellent write up. No emotions just the facts.
    I have to admit that I am not that objective

Gutav,

If BMW would come up with a decent AWD system in the new 5 Series/M5 than it could become an option....
    For me Quattro is one of Audi's greatest asset and one of the reason I don't drive a BMW anymore.

Erik,

Did you notice on track challenge that the test for the Audi RS6 was done with 32 degrees Celsius! Bad for the ultimate performance
    Whereas the M5's test was done at 10 degrees, the perfect temperature for testing a car. Cooll and no ice.
    [img]http://www.audioimports.com/slogos3c.jpg[/img]
    [url=http://www.audioimports.com/cars/Audi.htm]Andre's Audi Pages[/url]
    [url=http://www.audiclubsa.org.za]Audi Club of South Africa[/url]

avdh,

Yes it's noted long time ago
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

A very unbiased and well written review. Thanks for sharing. As you put it, you really can't go wrong with any of these Beasts!

Ben