Thread: A8 Facelift and next generation rumors

A8 Facelift and next generation rumors

Here are some A8 rumors:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/next-ge...nd-fwd-layout/

Facelift in early 2013 because some exec not too happy with the styling. I agree partially, the A8 looks quite bad in photos and from the front in real life. Basically the photo used in the article is what I am talking about. It does look great from the side, rear 3/4 and not too bad from the back.

400+ hp V8 TDI which is already known. The 6.3 W12 will be turboed for the A8 for extra "torque". The engine is perfectly capable of 650 horsepower but I can see Audi quoting a lower figure to protect Bentley and Porsche.

Next generation A8 might ditch the aluminum spaceframe concept for an aluminum/steel/composite combination. The A8 might also be built on the Porsche led MSB platform (next Panamera, Bentley Continental, Flying Spur) and have rear wheel drive/ rear biased all wheel drive. Discuss.

Do want V8 TDI! I had a V10 Touareg and I loved that engine! And I don't think they should go full on RWD...I guess it could be offered as a cheaper option to people who don't care about Audi's and just want a good looking luxury car to drive to the country club! Offer it with the V6, but leave the good stuff with AWD!
    C5 RS6 - Daytona Grey/Silver, Carbon Fiber, RNS-E, O.CT ECU/TCU--sold :(
    DD: 02 G500 - 35" Nitto Trail Graplers, baja roof rack, 52" LED light bar
    Business Car: Gulf liveried 01 996TT w/ Tial Alpha A28 turbos + supporting mods - 700hp

Yeah the article makes it sound like the A8 will only be RWD but most likely if the A8 does switch to the RWD based Porsche platform I would think only the low end engines like the 2.0T and the low power version of the 3.0 TDI would be RWD while more powerful would be AWD. Just like how the Panamera is available with both.

Smaller more turbos engines, RWD, I doubt...

would be a stupid idea to ditch the Quattro...this is why people buy Audi, i wouldn't buy an Audi if it wasn't Quattro, if i want a RWD i would buy a BMW, what's the point on trying Audi with RWD when BMW is so good that not even Mercedes who's been offering for decades RWD hasn't come close to BMW...i had an Audi with FWD and didn't like it, drove the new A4 B8 with FWD and didn't like it, the under-steer is too obvious and if you add a powerful engine(e.g. 2.7 or 3.0TDI) you will even get steer torque with all season tires...i could agree with Bmwade, he's got a point there and maybe they're just trying to get more customers, but for someone who knows why he buys an Audi or for a car enthusiast doesn't make any sense their future view regarding AWD...
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Audi’s front-wheel-drive approach to the luxury segment is a sacred cow that might finally be slaughtered.
    That's right, it will be slaughtered in sales.
    Anyone want a V8 TT 650 hp 700tq FWD luxo-barge?
    Geez, while they are at it, might as well put in a 7speed MANUAL transmission.

The chauffeur couldn't keep the fronts from lighting up at each light...

BAD IDEA getting worse if it happens...

Sorry to be so negative but when you have a formula and a platform that works and is proven, don't mess with it...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

I think what article was saying is they are planing to offer rear wheel drive option, but never to ditch 4WD, and that makes sense to do!

WHY!?

They are targeting 2WD buyers!

Becouse NO one wants FWD A8, 95% of them are quattro, while BMW and Merc' have bigger stake in market with both rear wheel and 4 wheel drive!

Maybe if we could compare the number of sold A8s, with front wheel drive, against numbers of sold 7 series and S class with rear wheel drive we can see the point!

They won't be dropping quattro because Porsche who have a similar heritage in all wheel drive will also share this platform for the Panamera though it well change from what we have today. I'd like to know if it will get PDK instead of an automatic.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity