Thread: E-Tron quattro for next A4

E-Tron quattro for next A4

The latest rumor is that some versions of the next A4 and derivatives will ditch torsen in favor for an E-Tron quattro set up with rear wheels driven solely by an electric motor.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/audi-wi...next-gen-cars/

The concept isn't new as Lexus Rx hybrid has had a similar approach as does some Peugeot hybrid that I can't remember, and the next Acura RLX and NSX. And of course Le Mans winning R18 E-Tron quattro (in reverse). Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by chewym View Post
    Discuss.
    I'm all for hybrid Audis, e-tron works for me. What I'm REALLY waiting for is for the DIESEL HYBRIDS to hit our market. The aforementioned Peugeot is a great case in point. Diesel power to one axle and electric power to the other. Want AWD? Push a button. Want strictly 2WD? Push the other button. Convenient to say the least.

From a mechanical standpoint, this does add complexity to our cars. But hell, keep in mind hybrids are NOT a new tech. They've been around in the USA for a hundred years, so have electric vehicles. In fact, petrol was not as popular a hundred years ago, electric drive was the number one. Reliability on these cars has not met the bar of plain old petrol.

In truth, I was not a hybrid fan AT ALL. I didn't see any value whatsoever until actually driving one on a daily basis. Then, I encountered the 2013 ES300h and GS400h. Incredible cars that make the technology seamless. Just fantastic, and in the GS, FAST! If Audi can bring us the e-tron diesel tech, they will have true winners on their hands and I for one am counting the days.

Ben
    Einstein once said, "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are details."
    Ron Paul Fan

What is interesting about this development is that electric motors have the potential to offer greater traction control than any mechanical set-up. For non-hybrid Audis we may get rear-wheel drive delivered by electric motors driven by a petrol engine. Personally, I'm looking forward to buying my first Audi with a hydrogen fuel cell and electric motors at each wheel.

The future is almost here.

The prospects for e-tron quattro are interesting. However, unlike many postings on the topic, I have decided to take a different approach to the e-tron quattro system and suggest using the electric motor(s) to cooperate with the front wheels and not the rear set. Instead, the transmissive forces from the ICE are directed to the rear wheels in cooperation with the dynamic sports differential. Using such approach, Audi engineers have greater freedom to revise axle loadings and weight distribution when compared with the current quattro layouts.

BMW and Mercedes have similar issues of weight distribution as Audi with their respective AWD approaches as the front drive shafts pass underneath the engine crankcase. This is why BMW seldom offers lowered sports suspensions on xDrive models. Audi's approach, with the front differential being located behind the engine, is an artifact of its front wheel drive origins. Porsche has worked around this issue with the Panamera by having the front axle pass through the crankcase below the crankshaft. If I recall correctly, the front axle has one millimeter of clearance from the crankshaft. This is, in part, why a Panamera is so expensive. Besides additional manufacturing costs, the seals for the front axle is a potential reliability trouble spot.

It be far more logical to drive the rear wheels with the engine and allow the electric motors to power the front, it would not only benefit weight distribution but I reckon benefit steering feel if those electric motors were placed in the front hubs. Even in the current quattro I doubt you ever rarely see 65% of its power transferring forward and it could never be as instant or as controllable as what could be achieved with electric motors. I sure hope that this setup in given serious consideration in the RS models at the very least.

I just thought of something, if the A8 moves to RWD on the lower models and Quattro on the more powerful ones then such a E-tron quattro for the smaller models would fit right in as they too would be RWD for the least powerful that would then be boosted with electric motors on the fronts turning them too into Quattro.

Qisha, Audi make it happen.
    Hanging the tail out is Vanity
    but choosing AWD is Sanity

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoAudi View Post
    The prospects for e-tron quattro are interesting. However, unlike many postings on the topic, I have decided to take a different approach to the e-tron quattro system and suggest using the electric motor(s) to cooperate with the front wheels and not the rear set. Instead, the transmissive forces from the ICE are directed to the rear wheels in cooperation with the dynamic sports differential. Using such approach, Audi engineers have greater freedom to revise axle loadings and weight distribution when compared with the current quattro layouts.

BMW and Mercedes have similar issues of weight distribution as Audi with their respective AWD approaches as the front drive shafts pass underneath the engine crankcase. This is why BMW seldom offers lowered sports suspensions on xDrive models. Audi's approach, with the front differential being located behind the engine, is an artifact of its front wheel drive origins. Porsche has worked around this issue with the Panamera by having the front axle pass through the crankcase below the crankshaft. If I recall correctly, the front axle has one millimeter of clearance from the crankshaft. This is, in part, why a Panamera is so expensive. Besides additional manufacturing costs, the seals for the front axle is a potential reliability trouble spot.
    picture.
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....

Quote Originally Posted by The Pretender View Post
    picture.
    picture of panamera front axle?

Quote Originally Posted by andreadebi View Post
    picture of panamera front axle?
    Yep....
    There are pretenders among us.....
    Geniuses with the ability to become anyone they want to be.....