Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: The next Audi RS6 and RS7 (2013/14)

I guess that the carefully, well thought response provided by g@fortitude will calm the waters around here. Thanks for a knowleadge, informed dissertation on this topic. I, for one, would appreciate your future paticipation on this site.

Thanks for the insight George. It does help to have some background and there no denying you have a better glimpse into some rationale and constraints. But continuing your analogy, there are many different shaped glasses that people see through that affect the appearance of half empty or half full. I'm still struggling with the the vibe I'm picking up here that I should sit on the sidelines and not voice my opinion constructively.

Obviously you will never satisfy everyone, especially with transmission choices. I think the debate between manual vs advanced automatics will only get worse as manuals fade away, but that really is brand independent. There's complaining about offerings across all segments and brands - not just Audi. But I see that as a slightly different more detailed complaint and is a different from offering a vehicle at all. I would not let a transmission choice prevent a purchase, but there may be some who do.

Quote Originally Posted by G@Fourtitude View Post
    First, what makes you think they are not asking their customers what they want? What makes you think they are not constantly evaluating the market? Perhaps the market does not reflect the exact needs of you, or me. Would love to have an RS 6 Avant, but current models suggest they can’t sell the volume in order to justify the homologation costs.
    What makes me think that is the fact in ten years of ownership of regular model line, S, and RS Audi vehicles, Audi has never contacted me regarding anything, much less my future interests. I've also provided dealerships feedback, and am reluctantly adopting social media to help communicate my preferences. All of that has gone unanswered, unacknowledged, or dismissed. Meanwhile, I have direct access to MBUSA/AMG in their Private Lounge, constantly looking for feedback and directly allowing customers to interact with decision influencers. They seem to find the balance of keeping their customers informed without tipping their hat to the competition. I also receive regular surveys as a Porsche owner.

At the same time, Audi has more S cars and more RS cars in this market than they have ever had here. Period. Sales are in record numbers, but still not threatening BMW or Mercedes-Benz seriously and with greater volume comes greater selection. This has been proven with the current mix.
    No doubt there are more S cars, and even more RS on the way. But the difficult pattern of US RS cars makes it difficult to stay with the brand over time. What is the purchase path for the 2003 RS6 owner? As a former RS4 owner what am I to purchase supposed to purchase next? An RS7? Subjective, but I don't like the looks at all, and its a big price jump. TTRS? RS5? Not practicle for a family. S model...perhaps, but it difficult for me to take a step down when I've had Audi's best and most exclusive. Why was it achievable before for the two sedans when Audi had dramatically less volume?

Audi has been about innovation in their cars recently...FSI, DSGs, LEDs, TDI, Etron, and so on. Perhaps it's time to look at the evolving model of how products come to market with the likes of kickstarter, indigogo, etc. Obviously there are regulatory challenges, but what about committed demand helping set milestones for what is offered and at what price. That communicates the volume numbers and puts it in the hands of its customers to show their commitment. If it fails, we only can blame ourselves.

Lastly, it is common that data be interpreted half empty or half full depending on who's looking at it. If Audi brought a
    An RS4 or RS6 avant here it was a flop, then I'd go back and crawl under my rock and let it be. But right now it feels like theres just speculation on both sides that makes it difficult to remain a customer.

Quote Originally Posted by 1uglymug View Post
    ^ Thanks George. Excellent post!
    I agreee, thanks!
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Joe View Post
    I guess that the carefully, well thought response provided by g@fortitude will calm the waters around here. Thanks for a knowleadge, informed dissertation on this topic. I, for one, would appreciate your future paticipation on this site.
    Thanks. Will try to stop back in a bit more regularly if that’s okay with the admins. I love the quality of this forum though I don’t want to overstay a welcome as I run a competing site.
    - George Achorn
    Editor-in-Chief, Fourtitude.com - The Audi Enthusiast Website

Quote Originally Posted by Dr99 View Post
    But continuing your analogy, there are many different shaped glasses that people see through that affect the appearance of half empty or half full. I'm still struggling with the the vibe I'm picking up here that I should sit on the sidelines and not voice my opinion constructively.
    If you’re getting that vibe from me, then I’m not being clear. I’m not trying to keep people from lobbying for cars. On the contrary, I’d love to see those cars come over and the more boisterous the better. However, undue criticism of the product planners and execs making the call is unproductive. Those guys are enthusiasts, but they’re also tasked with growing the Audi market and they’re very good at what they do. They freel the frustration themselves as well as from the frustrated, so the louder the requests and the more handraisers they find, the more likely something is to happen.

What makes me think that is the fact in ten years of ownership of regular model line, S, and RS Audi vehicles, Audi has never contacted me regarding anything, much less my future interests. I've also provided dealerships feedback, and am reluctantly adopting social media to help communicate my preferences. All of that has gone unanswered, unacknowledged, or dismissed. Meanwhile, I have direct access to MBUSA/AMG in their Private Lounge, constantly looking for feedback and directly allowing customers to interact with decision influencers. They seem to find the balance of keeping their customers informed without tipping their hat to the competition. I also receive regular surveys as a Porsche owner.
    That’s well worded and I think would hit home for Audi. I know they do conduct focus groups, repeat customer programs VIP programs, etc. but am not 100% on how that is chosen. I know I’m not considered for those because I am “press” so handled differently. I don’t have any real first hand knowledge there, but sharing that with them (especially the part about MBUSA and Porsche) will likely grab their attention because it’s constructive and/or shows you are on the radar of some key competitors if not for some reason with them.

“No doubt there are more S cars, and even more RS on the way. But the difficult pattern of US RS cars makes it difficult to stay with the brand over time. What is the purchase path for the 2003 RS6 owner? As a former RS4 owner what am I to purchase supposed to purchase next? An RS7? Subjective, but I don't like the looks at all, and its a big price jump. TTRS? RS5? Not practicle for a family. S model...perhaps, but it difficult for me to take a step down when I've had Audi's best and most exclusive. Why was it achievable before for the two sedans when Audi had dramatically less volume? “

If I were you I’d look at the S6. You don’t like the S7 and the RS 7 is priced too high. If that’s the case then an RS 6 Avant would be priced too high as well. The Avant model is (would be) already very expensive for Audi so would be priced higher and the RS 6 has bespoke fenders (those awesome flares) that would raise the price even higher. The S6 is a monster, even with just an S-badge and I’d encourage you to drive one.

RS 4 Avant? This could still happen, but it’s far from locked in as sometimes is suggested. There are lots of fans of this car in Herndon but right now what Germany expects them to commit to and what their models tell them the US will purchase are too far apart. The last thing any of us want is for them to bring a car like that in and have a failure whereby cars are sitting at dealers and end up being discounted just to get rid of. Cases like that really hurt the chances for future models. On the other end, RS 4 Avant would DEFINITELY be more easily imported than RS 6 because the A4 Avant bodystyle is still here and the 4.2 FSI high-rev is already homologated for RS 5.

Audi has been about innovation in their cars recently...FSI, DSGs, LEDs, TDI, Etron, and so on. Perhaps it's time to look at the evolving model of how products come to market with the likes of kickstarter, indigogo, etc. Obviously there are regulatory challenges, but what about committed demand helping set milestones for what is offered and at what price. That communicates the volume numbers and puts it in the hands of its customers to show their commitment. If it fails, we only can blame ourselves.
    Funny you should mention that (great minds think alike ). After using it for the first time to donate funds to ‘The Little Red Sportscar’ story book, I threw the kickstarter idea past Scott Keogh as a way to make RS 4 happen. He liked the idea, but not sure where that went. I’ll follow up. Thanks for the reminder.

Lastly, it is common that data be interpreted half empty or half full depending on who's looking at it. If Audi brought an RS4 or RS6 avant here it was a flop, then I'd go back and crawl under my rock and let it be. But right now it feels like theres just speculation on both sides that makes it difficult to remain a customer.
    Rome isn’t built in a day. They have a clear strategy for continuing to grow the brand. With new volume comes new models. With the weakening EU market, comes new pressure to grow the USA even faster. That rapid growth sometimes leaves it a human resource (man hours) problem versus a budgetary one, but they have many projects on their plate and the good thing is that RS is important to them. They want to try to make it happen and clearly TT RS (just ending), RS 5 coupe, RS 5 Cabriolet, and RS 7 (about to drop) are the most RS models they’ve ever had in the USA at one time. I’d mortgage a limb and trade my wife’s Touareg TDI in on the RS 6 Avant if it comes, but I see their strategy in bringing the ones they have brought and it appears to be working.

Seriously, test drive the S6. Let me know what you think… and let your voices be heard (constructively) on what you want. Herndon and Germany ARE listening.
    - George Achorn

Quote Originally Posted by Erik View Post
    I agreee, thanks!
    Thank you.
    - George Achorn

Seriously, test drive the S6. Let me know what you think… and let your voices be heard (constructively) on what you want. Herndon and Germany ARE listening.
    I recently sold my RS6 in favor of a new S4. I had mine for 7 years and I couldn't hold out anymore for Audi USA to bring over something more exclusive - I often test drive other vehicles, and honestly couldn't fathom finding a suitable replacement for the RS6. The RS7 does nothing for me (like the rest of the 7s), both functionally and aesthetically. I always loved my old B6S4 so I took a look at the new ones, and cross-shopped the S6. Let's just say it's easy to be impressed when comparing to a 10+ year old car. And I'm pretty familiar with the brand (in addition to the RS6, I owned a B5, B6, B8 in the S flavors and "standard" A4 and Q5).

IMO, the S4 is more fun to drive than the S6 (its dimensions are very similar to our RS6) and butt-feel absolutely puts a smile on my face. S6 felt heavier and bigger in comparison (because it is of course), but has a little more OMGPOWER. I also recommend looking at them - you may forget you're not in an RS (sit in an A and compare appointments - it's literally night and day) even though not being at the top of the line may be a little hard to swallow.

The "real" RS must be an absolute monster, then. Like the new M5, when I went to take all the nannies off, the thing will happily propel you right up to and beyond the edge. THAT is what the RS is, and what we're missing. You can get there in the S, with aftermarket. But not quite the same ...

If I were you I’d look at the S6. You don’t like the S7 and the RS 7 is priced too high. If that’s the case then an RS 6 Avant would be priced too high as well. The Avant model is (would be) already very expensive for Audi so would be priced higher and the RS 6 has bespoke fenders (those awesome flares) that would raise the price even higher. The S6 is a monster, even with just an S-badge and I’d encourage you to drive one.
    I've been trying so hard to like the RS 7, but can't get used to the look of the rear.
    The sweet non metallic Nardo Grey paint and Alcantara headliner options are helping though, and I see that Alcantara is now optional on the S6 and 7.
    The RS 7 has a handy hatch that brings it closer to the utility of a RS 6 Avant.
    Down the road my plan is for a Boxster as a second car, so I really need AoA to bring a performance Avant, or I will work on convincing myself that the Allroad will suit me.

RS 4 Avant? This could still happen, but it’s far from locked in as sometimes is suggested. There are lots of fans of this car in Herndon but right now what Germany expects them to commit to and what their models tell them the US will purchase are too far apart. The last thing any of us want is for them to bring a car like that in and have a failure whereby cars are sitting at dealers and end up being discounted just to get rid of. Cases like that really hurt the chances for future models. On the other end, RS 4 Avant would DEFINITELY be more easily imported than RS 6 because the A4 Avant bodystyle is still here and the 4.2 FSI high-rev is already homologated for RS 5.
    An RS 4 Avant would be nice, but the platform is getting a little old and doesn't offer the HUD, LED headlights, 360 degree camera and adjustable air suspension.
    Faced with a choice of Allroad and RS 4 Avant, I may be tempted though.
    2008 white/amaretto S8

With all due respect G, let me play the devils advocate.

Your comments are more PR-like than problem solving/customer initiation oriented. The comment above is a clear example of just that. IF you read the numerous posts and comments that people have posted here, other forums, and in the media http://jalopnik.com/5959850/stop-eve...ant-in-america and on social media https://www.facebook.com/BringTheAudiRS4AvantToAmerica you will see that there is significant interest for the car in the US.

In fact people are willing to special order the car and sign petitions, make down payments etc. Same could be said for the RS6 Avant, but #s will be lower just based on price point.

AoA does NOT engage its customers, but rather "pushes" alternatives on them. Actions speak louder than words - A4 allroad is the only avant model !!! - http://models.audiusa.com/ - take a look at the model selection and website itself. Compare it to MB http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/index (and AMG mini site) and BMW http://www.bmwusa.com/. You will see VERY little effort being put into being creative on the website and engaging customers.

Here examples of REALLY bad decision making by Audi:
    1. Innovation and its use - Audi decides to put a NA V8 in the RS4/RS5, the same, albeit slightly modified, engine from the previous B7 generation - instead of the newly developed V8 in the S6. Various reviews of RS5 in 2011 (from 2 years ago!!!) pointed out to the fallacy in going the NA engine rout with lower torque than the S model with a supercharged V6...

Not to mention that they quickly transitioned the S5 to the V6T after owners of the NA V8 complained about S4s outperforming them. Now that V6T engine is in almost very audi.

2. Practicality and customer needs research - the new allroad is an A4 with small cabin and a 4 cylinder engine that americans do not want - they want an A6 allroad with a V6 at least. They could have at least added avants to the S models....

For myself, I will be looking to get the E63 AMG Wagon in the fall barring some unforeseen act of god coerces AoA to change its know-it-all tune.

Thank you.
    And I agree with Erik. Thanks for this contribution and more of it I hope.

Thanks. Will try to stop back in a bit more regularly if that’s okay with the admins. I love the quality of this forum though I don’t want to overstay a welcome as I run a competing site.
    Thanks. If it's like this I see no problems, but welcome it
    RS6.com Owner and Admin. The PRISM of RS6.com - Click here to send me an e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by plivac View Post
    2. Practicality and customer needs research - the new allroad is an A4 with small cabin and a 4 cylinder engine that americans do not want - they want an A6 allroad with a V6 at least. They could have at least added avants to the S models....

For myself, I will be looking to get the E63 AMG Wagon in the fall barring some unforeseen act of god coerces AoA to change its know-it-all tune.
    I probably wouldn't be happy with an A4 allroad or RS 4 Avant, but any of the following would be a sale;
    A6 allroad (with proper air suspension)
    S6 Avant
    RS 6 Avant

Almost jumped ship too, but even with MB's improvements to the cabin quality, I still prefer Audi interiors.
    Might change my mind though if it looks good in person.
    2008 white/amaretto S8

Your comments are more PR-like than problem solving/customer initiation oriented. The comment above is a clear example of just that.
    I'm not outspokenly critical of Audi of America's choices and I get how that might look like PR. Rather, I'm regularly in contact with their staff, aware of their level of enthusiasm and their challenges that they face. I count many of them as personal friends and acquaintences. Given the genuinely pro nature of all of that, I can see how that might sound like PR… particularly to those who are more negative on the subject. All that being said, I'm pretty confident I remain objective… but I think that's natural on both counts. It may sound like PR but I think most objective viewers when considering the information (as it is available to them and I get plenty) would be more positive.

IF you read the numerous posts and comments that people have posted here, other forums, and in the media http://jalopnik.com/5959850/stop-eve...ant-in-america and on social media https://www.facebook.com/BringTheAudiRS4AvantToAmerica you will see that there is significant interest for the car in the US.
    I know there's a vocal group who wants it. That's what Audi is wrestling with now. Is that group enough? Just because they're vocal doesn't mean enough cars will move. And, with RS 7 in bound this year, you can write off those who want latest greatest. As you mention, the NA V8 is old news to some really inside baseball. The 4.0 TFSI is more exciting to many who've never driven any of these cars and that will hurt the RS 4 Avants case because some of those sales (hard to measure) will go to RS 7.

In fact people are willing to special order the car and sign petitions, make down payments etc. Same could be said for the RS6 Avant, but #s will be lower just based on price point.
    Just to be clear, we're talking apples and oranges between RS 4 Avant and RS 6 Avant. With RS 4, body is sold in USA and engine/drivetrain are homologated. These are HUGE savings should they choose to bring it. Not only is RS 6 already very expensive, but the A6 Avant is NOT in market and thus would push this car MUCH higher than RS 7 in price. Given they're functionally and dynamically pretty much identical cars, what's the point then? Yes, they're stylistically different, but would you buy an RS 6 over an RS 7 that is $10-$20K (purely guessing) cheaper? I think most wouldn't. Looking at the numbers on the E-Class wagon and thus AMG, I've been told Audi is pretty convinced MB is losing money on that endeavour. Audi would rather do a car like RS 7 with a wider audience and a solid business case.

AoA does NOT engage its customers, but rather "pushes" alternatives on them. Actions speak louder than words - A4 allroad is the only avant model !!! - http://models.audiusa.com/ - take a look at the model selection and website itself. Compare it to MB http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/index (and AMG mini site) and BMW http://www.bmwusa.com/. You will see VERY little effort being put into being creative on the website and engaging customers.
    In the case of allroad, I'd offer you this. A4 Avant was already homologated but in EVERY example of wagons selling next to sport utility wagons (Outback, V70/XC70, etc.) the sport utility wagon outsells wagon by a large margin. Audi kept the body style in market by changing it to allroad product and has left options open for RS 4 as a result. Again, BMW and Mercedes have larger volumes in America with which they can retain these models more readily.

Here examples of REALLY bad decision making by Audi:
    1. Innovation and its use - Audi decides to put a NA V8 in the RS4/RS5, the same, albeit slightly modified, engine from the previous B7 generation - instead of the newly developed V8 in the S6. Various reviews of RS5 in 2011 (from 2 years ago!!!) pointed out to the fallacy in going the NA engine rout with lower torque than the S model with a supercharged V6…

Not to mention that they quickly transitioned the S5 to the V6T after owners of the NA V8 complained about S4s outperforming them. Now that V6T engine is in almost very audi.
    4.0 TFSI doesn't fit B-chassis. I wish it did. That'd be awesome. Their engine manager for that engine told me first hand that it doesn't fit. They even have to drop an intake in order to make it fit the C-chassis. A biturbo V6 was considered back in the B7 development but they went with 4.2 high-rev and likely that's for two reasons. First, it helps volumes for engine also used in R8. Second, it offers torque and sound befitting an RS. 3.0 supercharged is not suitable for quattro GmbH power delivery.

I've spent time in all of these cars. A chipped S-car will walk a stock RS car as Chris Harris demonstrated. Even still, the experience is different. The 3.0 TFSI will never touch the 4.2 FSI high-rev in sound. Stock for stock, it's also not as powerful and when you start chipping then you can possibly run into warranty issues. To me the 4.2 high-rev RS-cars are for the people who want to buy a car and just enjoy it… or have the budget for a big build like an APR supercharger. The 3.0 TFSI S-cars and the like are more the B5 S4 crowd - people who want a performance bargain. They're two different customers.

2. Practicality and customer needs research - the new allroad is an A4 with small cabin and a 4 cylinder engine that americans do not want - they want an A6 allroad with a V6 at least. They could have at least added avants to the S models….
    Two things here. First, they couldn't do Avants for just S-models because they'd need the volume of the A-cars to make a new bodystyle work… or pricing would go much higher. Already my take on the A6 allroad is that it would price in at S6 sedan or above money with a lesser engine… say 3.0 TDI (US Spec, not Bi-TDI because it's not homologated) or 3.0 TFSI. How many Audi customers then go, "Well hell, I can get the S6 sedan cheaper than the allroad. I'm getting S6!" This is the reality they face.

Sorry for the long-winded responses guys. I want to be thorough. I haven't read all of this thread, but I've read enough that I wanted to make sure an un-represented perspective was communicated.
    - George Achorn

George,

thanks for the descriptive feedback and the rationalization - all your points are valid. I think most of us who have participated on this and like forums are well aware of the challenges a business faces in bringing new cars to market.

However, that should really not be something the consumer should worry about and plead with them about.

If they can sell cars in UK in all versions I honestly don't see why they cannot in the US - their 3rd largest market after china and Germany in 2012.
    http://www.audiworld.com/news/13/audi-deliveries-12/

Audi is NOT struggling financially... in fact they are ROLLING in dough - if they can make a 5 billion euro profit a year satisfying some american customers will not ruin them.
    http://www.audi.com/etc/medialib/ngw...eport_2012.pdf

If you look on page 163 of annual report it will show you global car production by model and on 166 global delivery by model - they don't break out s/rs models from base ones.

As a business they should care about money, and that is fine, but at what price....

I joined, have contributed, and followed RS6.com since the purchase of my RS6. Like many people on here, its the first websites I visit each day. I read 99% of all posts made. I am not alone. This is more like friends hanging out over drinks, than competition. Many of us have even contributed financially to help Erik keep things running… as this is nothing he makes a living on. Its a "for us, by us" type atmosphere.

Your comments (good, bad, or indifferent) will always be welcome. This is a place you can come to get away from competition.

Stick around... Comment, troll, enjoy!
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

George,

thanks for the descriptive feedback and the rationalization - all your points are valid. I think most of us who have participated on this and like forums are well aware of the challenges a business faces in bringing new cars to market.

However, that should really not be something the consumer should worry about and plead with them about.

If they can sell cars in UK in all versions I honestly don't see why they cannot in the US - their 3rd largest market after china and Germany in 2012.
    http://www.audiworld.com/news/13/audi-deliveries-12/

Audi is NOT struggling financially... in fact they are ROLLING in dough - if they can make a 5 billion euro profit a year satisfying some american customers will not ruin them.
    http://www.audi.com/etc/medialib/ngw...eport_2012.pdf

If you look on page 163 of annual report it will show you global car production by model and on 166 global delivery by model - they don't break out s/rs models from base ones.

As a business they should care about money, and that is fine, but at what price....
    I too agree that George's contributions add significantly to the quality of this forum.

Plivac, I also agree with your comments about Audi's financial success but one must also consider that Audi's financial performance is predicated on the financial performance of its individual business units. Therefore, the financial bar is set high for Audi of America, and this is formative of its overall product strategy.

Lots of talk but

For me it's a very simple question, either AoA wants to build their image as a tier 1 performance marque stateside or they do not. If the former, then they have to bring all the RS goods over, like AMG and ///M, even if at a loss; if the latter, they just have to keep doing what they are currently doing by building VW 2.0 here.
    '97 993TT, '14 E63 S-line, '17 GT-R and a couple of '12 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4s for the kids.