Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plasti Dip'd my grill.

Plasti Dip'd my grill.

I decided to plasti dip my grill since I feel bad about the transmission going out. I used about 6 very light coats on each part. I'm really happy with the results. I did all of the grills and everything except the fog light surround which I could not remove. everything looks much more black and new!

03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Welcome to the club! I like it!

The nice part is that it comes off easy if you want to convert back later. It also serves as a protective coating. I have thought about dipping the wheels for winter with the same idea in mind.

Enjoy!
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

Good work. The blacked out theme goes with the wheels well.

So, I suppose you could do this to just the mesh part too, the freshen it up? I've tree different products to get it "blacker", but it never lasts.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Yea would work great on grills. Did all of em.

Deciding on window and rear trim and rear rings.

Ideally I would change both front and rear rings to a satin aluminum color/texture but that may be wishful thinking. Want to eliminate all chrome. But not 100% blackout..

Might do satin or gloss black rings and everything else flat black like plasti dip
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    I tried to plasti-dip my rear rings and it did not turn out well. It was difficult to tape off and the dip did not adhere to the rings well. I ended up pulling the dip all off. I considered buying new rear rings, but they are glued on in the back which gave me second thoughts about removing it. You can find rings easily via web search if you choose to do a switch.

The window trim will hold the plasti-dip well. I did my rear aluminum piece and it held great.
    03 RS6 Ebony Pearl Effect on Ebony / Carbon Fiber / MTM TCU / Sportec Cooling / KWV3 Coilovers / Hotchkis Sway Bars / Stern Control Arms / HRE P40SC Wheels / Hawk HPS pads / RNS-E / + pedals / Rear Window Spoiler / Cleared Corners

Good to know about the trim. I wasn't even going to try the rear emblem. Will buy another to toy with.

looks great, i saw on youtube how they turned a black E92 M3 into white using plastidip...any idea on how to remove the window trim? i would like to black out all the aluminum trim!
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

Funny, I was thinking about doing the exact same thing, especially now that I have new black shoes...what is Plasti Dip?
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by ttboost View Post
    ...what is Plasti Dip?
    This website will provide more info than you will ever need:

http://www.dipyourcar.com

Plasti-Dip can be found at any hardware store… Lowes and Home Depot each carry it.

Only it doesn't always come off as easy as expected...

http://g35nyc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36385
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli42 View Post

Ya, if you're an idiot and do your entire car!

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli42 View Post

fail... badly
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    fail... badly

true, i was just saying that it might not come off very easily....but hey the idiot changed the color of his car for only $50 lol
    2003 RS6//Fully Adjustable Suspension//VIPER ECU&TCU//Daytona Gray-Black
    Fully straight piped from the turbos to tips!
    Apikol Intake and D.O. Dual Nozzle Stage 2 Meth Kit

Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    Yea would work great on grills. Did all of em.

Ideally I would change both front and rear rings to a satin aluminum color/texture but that may be wishful thinking. Want to eliminate all chrome. But not 100% blackout..

Might do satin or gloss black rings and everything else flat black like plasti dip
    What about the mirror housings? The reason I bought my VMR wheels in silver was to match the window trim, mirrors, grille surround, etc. Now seeing how good the grills came out I think I may want to follow suit. It really is a great accent to the Daytona paint. If I did it though, I'd have to do every piece of trim, badges, etc along with my wheels. Oh, and definitely get smoked tails.

Buffalo, FYI, love your wheels dude! I am definitely considering the VMR setup you have. I don't know how well the mirror housing will hold the spray, but I would expect to hold similar to the gray grill frame.

This http://g35nyc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36385 seems insane. I would never hold a power washer that close to my car.

mik15, if I remember right, you can buy black window trim and replace the silver… can't remember where I saw this for sale. I would not remove the trim to plasti-dip. Way to complicated for something temporary. Just tape it off and cover surrounding areas with plastic… and spray.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2284.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	12874  

Quote Originally Posted by 1uglymug View Post
    Buffalo, FYI, love your wheels dude! I am definitely considering the VMR setup you have. I don't know how well the mirror housing will hold the spray, but I would expect to hold similar to the gray grill frame.

This http://g35nyc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36385 seems insane. I would never hold a power washer that close to my car.

mik15, if I remember right, you can buy black window trim and replace the silver… can't remember where I saw this for sale. I would not remove the trim to plasti-dip. Way to complicated for something temporary. Just tape it off and cover surrounding areas with plastic… and spray.
    Thanks man! I appreciate it! I love the wheels. They do a great job of complimenting the RS's muscular look in my opinion. Like I said, I bought the VMR's in silver to match the trim work, but after seeing the pics of the plasti-dipped grill, I think I might have to do it. I LOVE the contrast of the black to the Daytona paint and my Milltek Non-Res exhaust has the black tips, so I think trying everything in black could look really sick.

Agreed on the power washer. What idiots.

I wouldn't remove the window trim on the RS6 for plastidipping either. WAY too much time would go into that. I imagine it wouldn't go back on perfectly either and that would REALLY bother me. Like you said, just take the time to tape and cover everything properly and there won't be any problems.

I'm not sure how many of you guys remember me and my RS6 - used to participate in this forum all the time 1-2 years ago.

I'm the owner of DipYourCar.com - if you have any Plasti Dip related questions, I'll help out the best I can.

Still browse these forums obviously.. can never get that V8TT out of my system

Quote Originally Posted by Fonzie Audi View Post
    I'm not sure how many of you guys remember me and my RS6 - used to participate in this forum all the time 1-2 years ago.

I'm the owner of DipYourCar.com - if you have any Plasti Dip related questions, I'll help out the best I can.

Still browse these forums obviously.. can never get that V8TT out of my system
    Wow! I had no idea! Haha. I guess this couldn't be any more perfect for answering some questions we might have. I'm interested in Plasti-Dipping pretty much all the chrome/brushed trim on my car, including my wheels. Will it stick properly to the window trim and mirror housings? How about the chrome on the Audi rings themselves? Would any sanding be necessary to ensure a good contact for your product?