Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something popped, car shut down doing 85, yikes! Cause?

Mech Something popped, car shut down doing 85, yikes! Cause?

So I'm going 75 in CC, see a older beamer approaching in my mirror, give it some gas with Cruise Control slider, accelerating and the POP, engine drops RPMs, no throttle, have to coast over to the shoulder. Idle is all screwed up around 1200, EPC and Traction light are on, throttle does not work at all. Turn off the car, restart, running in limp mode. Made it back home, shifting and throttle seemed a bit off, took it easy, here are my codes. Maybe some computer issue, or a hose popped off, can't see it? Thanks, scary, lucky I had a spot to pull over, big time WTF moment, off to the mechanic again...

Throttle body seems to be a common find when searching this issue...

17743 - Engine Torque Monitor 2
    P1335 - 008 - Control Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

Address 03: ABS Brakes
    1 Fault Found:
    18256 - Please check DTC Memory of Engine Controller
    P1848 - 35-10 - - Intermittent
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Hose maybe.. did the brakes go hard at all? I can't imagine a huge pop sound from accel via the cruise control. Lumpy or high idle?
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Yikes- I have not had that experience..Good luck and hope it is an easy fix
    210K miles rolled

In CC, slow accel and then POP? Idle runs up and down a lot?

Intake hose popped. You have a major air leak.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Thanks, you guys are great! Cruise accelerates fast once into boost Pop wasn't too loud, the engine dying down felt bad! Had brakes, no throttle at all, coasted to the side. Idle was really jumpy between, 1000-1300, she was upset! Hose popped was my first thought, catastrophic how the car shut down though, should I report that to AOA?

Into the mechanic, my back is bad or I'd be in the engine...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Sounds like a vacuum leak.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

How does the beast make vacuum? Obviously not under boost. How does it store the vacuum?

On my 86 Audi 5000 CSTQ, with increased boost the Michelin man hose would pop underneath.
    you would never see it, weakend by years of oil sitting in it.
    I am sure the RS6 has somthing like it coming off the Turbo or IC.
    Just my 2cents
    Mugello RS6,sound enhancing exhaust,solar sunroof,Platinum Coverage,Eurocharged ECU,MTM TCU ,TC, PSS9, Hotchkis front and rear,EBC Reds, Sportec vents,ACES IV,Fuel tank replaced.

Cool, hope to get in there tomorrow, 2 cents are more than none

I'm a bit shocked at how the car shutdown though, protecting it's engine at least...

I was about to drop that Beamer proper too!

Well i have been having random idle off just barely, fine now though, so not vaccum right. I keep reading about throttle body issues. Could the tb have got a bad signal from the cruise slider? Just pondering...

Vacuum leak after the MAF makes the mix way too lean. ECU will shut it down.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Quote Originally Posted by TozoM8 View Post
    Vacuum leak after the MAF makes the mix way too lean. ECU will shut it down.
    Thanks, will pursue that if hoses are intact...

Get the car in the air and pull the belly pan. Check the IC hoses. That's the most likely cause. Then check the diverter valves under the small engin cover from above.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

I had the same scenario a couple years ago. Accelerating using the Cruise Control. All of a sudden no power and engine won't respond to the throttle. Turned off the car, restart and all ran smoothly, until I used the cruise control again. Mine was a brake peddle sensor. Audi master tech said it's a fairly common issue.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Amulet-S6 View Post
    I had the same scenario a couple years ago. Accelerating using the Cruise Control. All of a sudden no power and engine won't respond to the throttle. Turned off the car, restart and all ran smoothly, until I used the cruise control again. Mine was a brake peddle sensor. Audi master tech said it's a fairly common issue.

Jim
    Interesting - this would be a super easy and cheap fix!

Jim, interesting fix for you there, crazy when it happens eh?

Checked ic hoses and all visible vacuum lines, looked fine. Probably under the airbox, can't get in until Tuesday. We tapped a line in there to control the w/m spray, so that could be what popped, shall see next week. Will give it the smoke test if that's not the case, driving slow this week....

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    So I'm going 75 in CC, see a older beamer approaching in my mirror, give it some gas with Cruise Control slider, accelerating and the POP, engine drops RPMs, no throttle, have to coast over to the shoulder. Idle is all screwed up around 1200, EPC and Traction light are on, throttle does not work at all. Turn off the car, restart, running in limp mode. Made it back home, shifting and throttle seemed a bit off, took it easy, here are my codes. Maybe some computer issue, or a hose popped off, can't see it? Thanks, scary, lucky I had a spot to pull over, big time WTF moment, off to the mechanic again...

Throttle body seems to be a common find when searching this issue...

17743 - Engine Torque Monitor 2
    P1335 - 008 - Control Limit Exceeded - Intermittent

Address 03: ABS Brakes
    1 Fault Found:
    18256 - Please check DTC Memory of Engine Controller
    P1848 - 35-10 - - Intermittent
    I had the exact same thing happen, accelerating under cruise, pop and shut down. I got the torque limit code as well as an over boost. I was getting a bad exhaust temp sensor, which I have yet to fix. I assume the temp sensor went out, allowed too much boost and the engine was protecting itself. I need to fix the temp sensor but seems to be running fine. Not much help but you are not alone.