Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Name that problem! (I think TC)

Based on what you've said Brav...I also wager it could be a control module or the valve body....since it shifts OK, then all goes bad, then its OK again.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

I've had this thought before:

If you have an mtm or other tcu chip, does it put extra stress on the solenoids and cause them to fail prematurely?

Tozo says that the solenoids rarely fail.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Well for all I know, I am on the original trans. But 2nd TC. I think 160k miles is "fair" life expectancy. I will test the 5th gear pull to see if its my clutch pack "A" and report.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

OK- another road test. Got ballsy after driving it around my office and took her home (12 miles). Tried various gear pulls on highway. No issues. My house is in a hilly area so I got a bit nervous. No hiccups all the way home. I got my gym clothes, and as I started to come back, it slipped right away within 1 minute of turning the car back on (this is consistent with how it first happened. quick off, then back on). Then came the hill.. and she behaved. Slipped on and off the rest of the way. Several times I would feel it engage better right after slip, then I would hammer it and it would TAKE OFF! what the hell.. Actually none of the times I did a hard pull, did it screw up. Just sometimes after coming to a stop and trying to go again. Not sure if this sheds any more light.

In tip mode while slipping, it would jump in RPM, then drop into the next gear without telling it to, all the way to 4th.

No codes. No red PRNDS.

If it were a bad clutch pack, wouldnt it consistently slip during a hard pull? My knowledge of auto transmissions leaves a bit to be desired. Still smells like electronic issue to me. Or.. crud stuck in valves?
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..

Good luck but as the former resident tranny replacement king I will say that my second one went just as you are describing from your sister's experience on. Took the TC with it but not sure what exactly failed within as under warranty I did not care back in '05 to ask. It started simple on a trip then progressively worse in 500 miles to barely holding low gears to limp it to dealer. My other ones failed a little differently.
    2012 R8 GT #275 Suzuka, 2014 RS7 Suzuka/Lunar Silver, 2013 RS5 Suzuka/Lunar Silver
    2000 Audi TT Neiman Marcus Edition #47, 1960 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz Convertible
    Past...03 RS6, 10 S5 Cabriolet, 00 NMTT #25, 94 Audi Cabriolet

Intermittent problems are the worst. Personally I would think clutch packs vs. electrical. Might be the VB. Certainly not the TC. If you can duplicate the problem you can solve the problem. Try the stall test and see if it jumps out of gear.

Have you done this current driving without getting the fluid checked, are you crazy man?

My mechanic is experienced with other Audi's, and believed my trans was filled after some work, following all instructions. Months later, occasional slip, top gears, heavy load, no codes though, it happened three times. I went in and was 2 quarts low, I think it holds 12 or so with the TC?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Ya I'm crazy. No way to check it until I drive it to a friends lift. I highly doubt its low on fluid after so long. But I hate being wrong...

Yeah...I thought I was wrong once...crappy feeling...
    2013 Audi S8

Quote Originally Posted by lswing View Post
    Have you done this current driving without getting the fluid checked, are you crazy man?

My mechanic is experienced with other Audi's, and believed my trans was filled after some work, following all instructions. Months later, occasional slip, top gears, heavy load, no codes though, it happened three times. I went in and was 2 quarts low, I think it holds 12 or so with the TC?
    A: Your trans leaked 2 quarts

B: Your mechanic didn't fill it right

BRAV,
    $300 card, $3000 trany drop to replace card on top of trans, $100 platinum co-pay,
    beating to hell thier S4 for two weeks, priceless.

Yes this is what I had.
    Why is it I always get the wierd stuff first!
    leaking fuel tank, smell gass off and on
    Vacuum leak under manifold so brakes go bad,off and on
    card on top of trans. wierd trans, again off and on.
    Mugello RS6,sound enhancing exhaust,solar sunroof,Platinum Coverage,Eurocharged ECU,MTM TCU ,TC, PSS9, Hotchkis front and rear,EBC Reds, Sportec vents,ACES IV,Fuel tank replaced.

was the trans control card what cause the problems?

they typed "AUDI" on it
    Mugello RS6,sound enhancing exhaust,solar sunroof,Platinum Coverage,Eurocharged ECU,MTM TCU ,TC, PSS9, Hotchkis front and rear,EBC Reds, Sportec vents,ACES IV,Fuel tank replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by AUDI5000CSTQ View Post
    BRAV,
    $300 card, $3000 trany drop to replace card on top of trans, $100 platinum co-pay,
    beating to hell thier S4 for two weeks, priceless.

Yes this is what I had.
    Why is it I always get the wierd stuff first!
    leaking fuel tank, smell gass off and on
    Vacuum leak under manifold so brakes go bad,off and on
    card on top of trans. wierd trans, again off and on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brav View Post
    was the trans control card what cause the problems?
    yes...

Too much Dentist's laughing gas, John. There are support groups for that type of thing...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Sorry, read it as " what caused the problem"
    My answer is always, just like, "why does it cost so much?"
    Has 'AUDI" writen on it.
    A toyota would never have had this problem.
    An RS6 owner askes a Toyota owner " want to race?"
    Toyota owner answers, " sure, how far?"

hittin the sauce, LOL? The question was simply if the control module is the problem leading trans failure..

If I wanted a Toyota, I would get a bowl cut, stock up on mock turtle necks, and divide my personality in half. pay to play..

mine is slipping to , but only when i accelerate very slow...about 200-300 rpm rise after gearchange...prob normal...
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

It doesn't cause the trans to fail. Just makes it act badly.
    Do you have any insurance?
    I have lots of cars for different purposes.