Thread: Glass headlight lenses

Glass headlight lenses

Has anyone tried Glass lens in their cars? My headlights are all faded and I thought about switching to glass.

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES1905501/
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

have you tried to polish it? usually it works, and if they apply the clear film protection should last for quite a while...
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast

We restore headlights often at the shop. They look brand new when we are done. A few stages of wetsanding and buffing. Usually start with 400, then 1000, then 2000 grit. After you are sure you have a consistent smooth finish start with a very heavy buffing compound and move to lighter compounds until it looks perfect. Works every time. Can take up to an hour to do, but is very cheap and will look flawless.
    www.jsmotorcar.com

That lens is compatible with these models:
    Volkswagen 337/20AE All All
    Volkswagen Golf IV All All
    Volkswagen R32 MKIV All All
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

Yeah, those lens definitely do not look right. For some reason they came up in my search after entering in my car. I will try the restoring process to see how it goes. Sound simple enough.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Justin9212 View Post
    We restore headlights often at the shop. They look brand new when we are done. A few stages of wetsanding and buffing. Usually start with 400, then 1000, then 2000 grit. After you are sure you have a consistent smooth finish start with a very heavy buffing compound and move to lighter compounds until it looks perfect. Works every time. Can take up to an hour to do, but is very cheap and will look flawless.
    I've done this a few times and it works great!

Search YouTube, there was a good demo from Jalopnik a few months back.
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Find a reputable paint shop and have them wetsanded and sprayed with clear coat. You won't be disappointed! I have about four coats of PPG DC4000 on mine, they look amazing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo..JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	141.2 KB 
ID:	12817  
    Last edited by mdegracia; August 6th, 2012 at 13:56. Reason: pic
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs

Those really do look good. I need to clear corner mine as well. So many projects...
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by mdegracia View Post
    Find a reputable paint shop and have them wetsanded and sprayed with clear coat. You won't be disappointed! I have about four coats of PPG DC4000 on mine, they look amazing!
    grrrr!!! RS4 rims = jealous!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Thanks Chung!

As for the rims, they need some TLC next year. one definitely has a slight bend and two of them are mildly rashed. Not to mention, some asshat did a piss poor job of refinishing them once before. I have managed to control my OCD and just drive them for this season...one good kudo is they bolted right up sans spacer!
    03 RS6 Daytona Grey - EFI Express - 01e - SRM K24 - Aquamist - 495whp/580ft-lbs