Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter tires

Winter tires

OK, so it is the middle of summer and many of you in more harsher climates might be already prepped for anything that mother nature tosses your way (assuming you drive your RS6 in the winter and in the snow/ice/etc).

My virgin So Cal RS6 has never seen snow or ice, but she will this year as she is in PNW now...

I am looking at the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 on the OEM 18" rim.
    There is also the WS70 but they don't have the XL rating nor are they a "performance" winter tire.

My questions are:
    1. what other winter rubber is out there?

2. what size? (225/45R-18 95H XL)

Thanks in advance!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Hakka R's, stock size and load, pretty sweet, although cost me $1,300....
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I've always been partial to the Blizzaks. Had them in various types and sizes on four cars now (since moving back to the NE) and have never had a problem getting around with them on.

I tried the Hankook Icebears this past winter and have no complaints. Excellent siping for rain, wet snow..and good grip on deeper snow pack and ice.

Rick
    2003 Audi RS6 Avus Silver

You're not that early, I ordered mine Aug 30th last year. I got the tires in this thread: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23138-Snow-Shoes

They were real good. I took them up to VT and there was a foot of snow already on the ground when I left coming home.
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

Hi Ben, tried calling you today.
    I have not even gotten my summer tires yet.
    Still flat in the drive way since March.
    On of the Reps for Dental equipment "Voco" has an adv driving course for Audi or BMW
    will find out details and let you know.
    call someday
    Mugello RS6,sound enhancing exhaust,solar sunroof,Platinum Coverage,Eurocharged ECU,MTM TCU ,TC, PSS9, Hotchkis front and rear,EBC Reds, Sportec vents,ACES IV,Fuel tank replaced.

I run Michelin Pilot Alpin's. Stock size. I personally don't recommend them. They simply don't feel tight in the winter element which an expensive snow tire should. Had me white knuckling it a few times over the winter. Perhaps has something do to with the 255 size. Maybe the significanlty smaller width will assist.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Just another vote for Bridgestones. I run the Blizzaks on a stock set of 18s in 255mm wide from Dec-March here in Southern New England; but the car gets some good duty up in Northern Vermont/Montreal areas....

I think you'd be happy with a set of Blizzaks on a crappy weather day.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    I run Michelin Pilot Alpin's. Stock size. I personally don't recommend them. They simply don't feel tight in the winter element which an expensive snow tire should. Had me white knuckling it a few times over the winter. Perhaps has something do to with the 255 size. Maybe the significanlty smaller width will assist.
    You don't recommend the Michelin Pilot Alpin's or the Blizzaks?

I need no white knuckle moments...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Lives in Norway and have Hakka R on mine. Have reduced rim size to 8x18 and uses 225 tieres to improve traction. Very happy with the setup.

Ice is what will give you the white knuckle moments - This ride back was white knuckle free:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDje0L9DQIs
    -Greg
    2003 RS6

One thought too, 95% of the time here in Eugene, I'm driving my snow tires on wet pavement, and the Hakka's handle great!

I had Michelin Ice-X2's on my wrx, and good god they handled horrible, super soft sidewalls....

My 1 cent...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

I second the Hankook ICE Bear

I put stock sized Michelin Pilot Alpins on mine within one week of ownership, and the day before last winter's snow dump. They rocked. My friends were also quite impressed, barrelling down the freeway like a panzer tank, while other cars were hardly able to move. They also handle the wet quite nicely, which is how it is in Seattle in the winter if there is not snow. If I was hardcore, I might have messed with the aspect ratios a bit to get a narrower tire to increase traction, 255/45's are a bit of a ski. If money is no object, get the Hakka's. My wife has Hakka SUV's (only the best for the Mrs....) on her Lexus GX470, and it will climb ice walls. Cleats for cars Hakkas are.

Whatever you buy, just dooo eeet. Good winter rubber on a torsen centered quattro on a snow day makes 90% of the other cars on the road look ridiculous.

Rippin:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RS in the snow..jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	12791
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

^^^ Nice snow plow!

That reminds me, we did loose traction once in my brothers A4 with Hakka R's....high centered on snow while climbing a steep hill in the neighborhood....had to turn around and go back down.

I use the ice bears. Usually mount them early November. They stay on well into April. I like em. The blizzaks are great tires too.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I tried the Hankook Icebears this past winter and have no complaints. Excellent siping for rain, wet snow..and good grip on deeper snow pack and ice.

Rick
    I used the ice bears and rated them ....I would use them again but sadly as I now have the c6 brake up grade I can not get them in 19 inch

I have a set of replica 18" 04 RS6 wheels for the winter with 225/45-18 Dunlop Snows. The car is amazing in the snow this way. I run out and jump in my car the second it starts snowing and have a blast. Axis spins are brutal for your back seat passengers fyi.
    www.jsmotorcar.com