Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter tires

And we are back from our brief intermission.

Anyone got snow yet?
    Anyone got their winters tires on their car yet?
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post

Anyone got snow yet?
    We had our first flurries here in Minneapolis. It's still in the 40's outside so nothing will stick around. Since I am selling my car, I think the winter tires (and factory rims) will end up on the new Passat. Just need to find a way to switch out the Audi symbol in the center hubs....

Snow on the ground in north/central MN. Melted on the roads, 1 inch in the grass.

Winters are on.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post

Anyone got snow yet?
    4-6" of snow on the ground here from Tuesday AM storm. Have elected to just keep running the Avon Tyre all seasons vs. putting on the Michelin Alpins after what I viewed as being a less than stellar performance for a 'winter tire' last year.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

I have several set of blizzacks WS30/LM60 on wife and kids' cars and they're amazing. On a lark, I tried the Dunlap M3 on my rs. To me, the Blizzacks seemed better in the snow; new set already mounted and ready for this winter. 255/40/18
    I love parking lots after we've got >3" of snow coverage. (ABS off) Just takes forever to get all the snow out of the rims

With quattro, I don't think you can go wrong. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    4-6" of snow on the ground here from Tuesday AM storm. Have elected to just keep running the Avon Tyre all seasons vs. putting on the Michelin Alpins after what I viewed as being a less than stellar performance for a 'winter tire' last year.
    Even MORE snow this past weekend. The other dump from a week and a bit ago finally melted, and them BAM - another 12". As luck would have it I needed to drive east for what would normally be a nominal 6hr drive that took 9.5 due to weather. Snowy road conditions caused ice build-up in the wheel wells which I eventually needed to stop on a highway pullout and bang out with a tire iron.

Made mention a few times about not being impressed with the Michelin Sport Alpins, and even less impressed after the rear passenger one blew apart at 80mph. Just managed to get ahead of the storm and on to dry roads and started doing 20-30km over the speedlimit in an effort to make up time. Tire let loose (reason undetermined). Bad enough luck. Worse luck was that it was no where near a highway pullout at the time which left me in a position of taking my life in to my hands by changing on the shoulder, or drive a few km's at less than 5km/hr to a pullout. I opted for the latter and in 10 minutes was able to get off the highway. Bad luck continued after pulling out the nice LED flashlight that I just purchased from the hardware store last summer only to find out the batteries were dead.... Dark, snowy, and cold. Damn....

Anyway, ended up rocking a full size spare and will be looking to locate a replacement tire (or full set considering how unimpressed I am with these) over the course of the week.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG02429-20121108-2329.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	13160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG02432-20121109-1119.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	13161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG02439-20121110-1155.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	13162
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Wowza- That had to be a bit harrowing!- especially if you using the OEM jack. Glad you made it to tell the story...;0 Good luck on the tire hunt.
    210K miles rolled

Bigglesworth! You should buy a lotto ticket!
    You survived a 80mph tire blow out!
    You survived the widow maker also! (this one scares the crap out of me!)

Good to hear that you and the '6 are ok.
    That last photo with the snow hanging off the car - amazing!
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

YOWZA! 12" dump. Methinks that if that happens in Seattle I will let my wife sit at home while I take her torsen centered Hakka cleated Lexus GX470. That car rocks in the snow (it was the closest non-Audi quattro system I could find), and the Hakkas rule.

That said, the day comes soon where I will be putting the 255/45-18 Michelin Pilot Alpins I bought last January on the RS6. I thought they were great, as were the Alpins I ran the five years prior on my UrS4. Too bad Bigglesworth your experience was so bad. For me, Michelins are the only tire brand that has never been a disappointment.

Can't believe it is snow tire season already.
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

50" in the last 2 days at Alta/Snowbird in Utah for those making skiing plans. Put on Hankooks before driving home and very happy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP4136.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	13165   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP4135.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	13164  

Was very happy with my 225.45.18 Michellin Pilot Alpin PA2's. Waiting to reshoe with same size PA3's either later today or tomorrow.

We got a little bit of snow in the Twin Cities yesterday so I decided to take our Q7 instead of the beast on summer tires. Alas, Q7 also needs a new pair of shoes, so I almost had an encounter with a light pole - missed it by about an inch. Yikes!
    2003 RS6 MTM, RNS-E, 2007 Q7 and 1999 A4

Go Blizzak 255s!

Most fun I've ever had in my RS6 was one day when I had new Blizzak 255x40x18s running in fresh snow in Park City. The plows hadn't gotten out yet and it had been packed by SUVs. It was so slick, even front wheel drive cars weren't able to drive on it. I just turned the traction control OFF and used the throttle to steer. Drifting left hand turns and going around SUV's like pylons! I've had this car at high speed and run tons of canyons. But nothing has been more enjoyable than that day on those snow-covered roads.
    If you never exceed the limits, how do you know where they are?

905084, I can see from looking at your tracks how well those Hankooks clean. And you live right here where I do! What kind of speed rating do the Hankooks have?

Hankooks are V rated I think. Took the beast to PCMR today in the rain and they didn't miss a beat...all of the grip, none of the slip.

With the Hankooks on? What size are they? Oh yeah, for anyone who cares, The Blizzak LM-60's are rated at a H speed rating (130mph) which I believe is the highest speed rating you can get with a Blizzak.

905084, Is PCMR a raceway in Park City? If so, where is it?

The Hankooks are 245/45/18. I went with the Hankooks over the Blizzak LM-60's only because they were $45/tire cheaper. I've had both Hankooks and Blizzaks and have been happy with both, although I have MZ-03 Blizzaks (run flats) on my A6 and popped (put a bulge in) the tire on a pothole. I put them on this year again and I now understand why run flats come with TPMS from the factory. All of the tires looked aired up until I checked them and found one had only 10 psi! As Mario Andretti says "Check your tires"!

Here's a good link for tire data for those trying to compare various tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

PCMR= Park City Mountain Resort (ski resort)

Quote Originally Posted by 905084 View Post
    Hankooks are V rated I think. Took the beast to PCMR today in the rain and they didn't miss a beat...all of the grip, none of the slip.
    And this is why we drive 450HP quattros.
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"