Thread: Engine in the S8 V10 blew up

Engine in the S8 V10 blew up

Engine in the S8 blew up on saturday cruising on the motorway at 100km/h, there is a piston on its way out on one side, and a conrod on the other. No warning lights at all, just went boom and died.

Short spec: 2007 S8 V10, 120.000km. Extremely well maintained and serviced every 10-15.000km.

here's my dilemma. Audi Norway wants nothing to do with it, since they did not import it, and its more than 5 years old. They offer a new shortblock at €40k incl. work!! But we dont know what stress was put on the heads, cams and transmission when it happened. They may fail also shortly on the new block?

Audi in Flensburg is checking for me, if this is something Audi Ingolstadt can fix together with quattro GmbH and do it under warranty. Even if the car is out of normal warranty, the damage that happened out of the blue was so serious that they are checking.

Audi flensburg has replaced the V10 from an S6 before, and the bill came to €24k for the shortblock. (this was not a warranty issue....think it was tuning related)

If all fails, I found this workshop outside cologne which has an slightly used S8 engine in stock for €8.500,- incl work: http://motorenprofihaas.de/en/audi-s...54-300-km.html

There has been 2 S8's for sale in norway where it was mentioned that the engine had been replaced under warraty. Anyone head of this problem with the V10's before??? Any help or comments are highly appreciated.

Wow!... That really sucks!

Before deciding on the RS6, I considered a used 2007-8 S8... What eventually swayed the decision to the RS6 was, what seemed to be more and more common the longer I looked, lamborghini gallardo engine horror stories. And, of course, the S8 was $15k+ more. I guess I'm more comfy with the RS6 horrors! Totally different risk profile at $25k than $40k+---for my situation anyway.

Ebay V10 for sale in Poland:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Audi-...#ht_738wt_1135

Hope you get everything sorted out... Best of luck.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

How terrible.. I feel bad for your situation. I hope Audi steps up to help in some capacity. I have to say, everything around the RS6 engine may break, but I can't recall any catastrophic engine failure being reported, that wasn't some case of heavy abuse or neglect.
    03 RS6 | Daytona Gray on black | KW V3 | Rotiform 19x10 Wheels | REVO ECU | MTM TCU | 170k miles and counting..
    "Some people play hard to get... I play hard to want."

Gosh, that really sux....sounds like you were just cruising along at a reasonable speed.

Are those V10 motors the reason why 2007 S6s are only like 25 grand used nowadays (in the USA) ? I'd better tell me wife to look at a different motored car for her next Audi.
    SOLD ! 2003 RS6 Mugello/Silver -MTM
    2001 allroad 6-speed (300K+), 1992 Mercedes-Benz 500E, 2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63, 2010 BMW X3, 1986 16V Scirocco, 2005 Mercedes E55 Wagon