Thread: Timing belt replacement procedure documentation....

Timing belt replacement procedure documentation....

Does anyone have a comprehensive documented procedure for doing the front-end refresh????

Here's the Scoop: Driving home from work today, the coolant temp continued to rise beyond normal---even at highway speeds with the cabin heat... Temp would recover somewhat at much lower speeds, and would stay at normal while at idle AND the AC on!... Gotta be a coolant circulation issue (water pump or thermostat.) F*CK. Anyway, I'll likely be refreshing the entire front-end. Have done a 1998 1.8T and a 2001 A6 4.2L several times, but would still like more specific insight and detail for the RS6... Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0703121413 (1)..jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	128.8 KB 
ID:	12737  
    Last edited by 4.2Crew; July 3rd, 2012 at 22:12.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

The Bentley manual has the essential information. If you've done an A6 4.2 there should be no surprises.

I don't think I've ever heard of an Audi thermostat sticking closed. They seem to fail open quite a bit. (I've had it happen on 3 different Audis... and never on any other make.)

If there's nothing obviously wrong with the water pump I'd take a close look at the radiator. Maybe it's partially blocked.

where to get the bentley manual (torrent)
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

Update:

After having the car flat-bed'd home Tuesday afternoon, I was able source a complete timing belt kit from IMOLA that evening before they closed for the Holiday weekend thru Monday morning. Luckily, a local Audi club member had the needed tools (cam bar etc.) The front-end was in the service position by that same evening. Wednesday--was able to open it up and inspect for an obvious culprit... Couple thing caught my eye:

1) Water pump had noticable slop in the bushings---but no leakage.
    2) Timing belt was very loose between the cam sprockets---this is where the water pump is driven.
    3) Tensioner seemed fine, but.....
    4) After hand turning the engine to find TDC, the belt tightened!!! WTF???
    5) Looking back, the car did have a slightly rougher than normal idle for the last week... Could this be related to the timing slightly off due to the lack of proper belt tension?

It was stupud hot (100F and 72%RH) on Tuesday when the overheating occcured... Jeff at IMOLA stated he had seen weird things happen on 4.2L engines in extreme hot weather. I could speculate on the sequence of events, but it is a irrelevant now... Front-end is totally refreshed. Topped the G12 off last night and started it. Runs very smooth! Just need to replace the wheel liners and belly pan today before test driving...
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Quote Originally Posted by kilian tuning View Post
    You can afford an RS6, but the $80 for a repair manual DVD is too much?

Quote Originally Posted by kilian tuning View Post
    I purchased my BOOK version from www.PureMS.com
    The DVD is available also for the same price but you might have an issue with the DVD region code (USA vs Netherlands)
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Glad to hear the work went well, excellent!
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by ben916 View Post
    I purchased my BOOK version from www.PureMS.com
    The DVD is available also for the same price but you might have an issue with the DVD region code (USA vs Netherlands)
    It's a data disc, so there's no region coding... That's just for video.

Update #2:

Road test went well... No leaks or worrisome sounds. Coolant temp remains where it should---at both highway speeds and stop-an-go with AC set at 70F---even with outside MN temps @ 96F and 70% RH!

Gotta say, this front end refresh (t-belt, water pump, thermostat, rollers, tensioner etc) went very well... I was expecting a horrific experience compared to the 2001 A6 4.2L sport I refreshed 3 times. Really no different.

Should be good for 35k-40k miles....

Veddy nice Greg. Glad it went well. Mine is due in about 10k. Not really excited about it.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Mine is due in -1500 miles ago...
    ;(
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

mine 4 years ago, not in km....
    Mugello Blue C5 RS6 Avant Viper Tuning ECU/TCU
    MTM Bimoto wheels 9,5 x 19 ET 30 LK 5x112 with 275/30/19 tyres
    MTM exhaust system cat back 4-pipe with throttle valves in 2 pipes, control

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Veddy nice Greg. Glad it went well. Mine is due in about 10k. Not really excited about it.
    Thanks, Kyle!

Well, a lift and an extra set of hands makes it soooo much easier!... Just say'n.... Let me know if you'd like help. And, Ron Woods (local guy with required tools) lives 1 mile away.

The most challenging part for me was re-installing the damn bumper cover!....

I think wifey is joining me at C & C this morning... Sounds like a huge turn-out is expected today. I'll let you know how it goes.

how long did it take labor wise?
    - Scott Long -

I would estimate around 10 hrs total... Removing the fender liners and bumper, and getting the nose into the service position takes a good portion of the time.

Why does it have timing belt and not chain? Is this possible to modify?
    2004 Audi RS6 - 4.2 V8
    1993 Audi S4 - 4.2 V8
    2007 Audi A8 - 4.2 V8

good question for the Audi engineers...the RS4 B7 has a chain, would've been a lot easier and less expensive on long term using a chain, i am also wondering what made them choose the belt over the chain, what are the advantages 'cause we know the disadvantages
    Ex.: 2004 Audi RS6 C5 ABT, Milltek non-resonated, 19" RS4 B7 rims, RNS-E - SOLD
    2004 AUdi RS6 C5, SE exhaust, RNS-E, 19' original rims - SOLD
    Now :2009 Audi RS6 C6 - stock yet pretty fast