Thread: Living with 517 box

Living with 517 box

Hi guys

I'm a noob here - but regular at RS246.com over in UK.

Am seriously considering getting the 517 Trans uprated box and TC shipped over and fitted in UK - and hear lots of good reports etc.

Be interested to hear from folks that have the 517 box on how you find living with it day to day - smoothe as the original? Any quirks or strange behaviour etc.

Simply interested to get "user feedback" before committing.

Many thanks

Dave

Oh - yes - mine is Misano, full MRC stage 2 (540BHP), Milltek, Hotchkis, Wagners etc - a lot of fun!

Bump! Or perhaps no-one is running the 517 box???

Dave

Hi Dave - no clue what the 517 is .. can u tell me more?
    GBNF: Mugello, silver, carbon, RNS-E, H&R coilovers, Hotchkiss
    '14 GL550
    '79 911SC Targa

It is a trans rebuild company in NJ. I believe one of the guys from level10 started it.
    05 Cayenne turbo

Talk to speedtrapped. He has info pertaining to your query.
    Avus RS 6, RNS-E/BT/RVC, Eurocharged/MTM, SuperSports, PSS9/Hotchkis, SS Lines/EBC Reds, FMU/BMC, Sportec vents, 007's, 9500ci, Black Optics/Headlights/Trim/Rims, CC; coming soon: stage 3 snow meth

totally recommend them. I had launched my car multiple times, and never had an issue. I pm'ed you, as I have an extra trans that I could drop off to 517, and save u the downtime, .
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)

Hi

Thanks for various replies and apologies if the question was a bit obtuse.

517 Trans seems to get quite a few good mentions on here. Started by "Sam" I believe who was previously at Level 10.

They claim to offer a "bulletproof" rebuild including upgraded TC, stronger clutches, uprated pump and seals etc to handle increased power and torque.

I am running 540-550BHP with the torque currently limited to the standard box. I can't actually measure it as the lock up clutch on the TC is now failing so won't lock up properly on the Dyno!

Plan to put in an uprated box (you guys are way ahead of us in this area) and just want to check that the box is still OK for normal street driving etc.

Oh - and as I type I see I have a message from speedtrapped - better stop typing and start reading!!

Dave

Do you have your heart set on keeping the automatic?

The 6 speed manual is an option, albeit not a simple one.

517 rebuild plus labor is probalby comparable in price, though?

Anyone know what they charge for the 'bulletproof" rebuild and what the warranty is? Just wondering because, IMO, no matter what you do for this auto trans, it's not bulletproof.
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Hi

Yes I want to stick with Auto - I spend too much time stuck in traffic and my left leg is getting lazy!!

There has been at least one manual done over here, but he uses it for track and timed runs etc - not what I want to do.

The full rebuild including TC are about $5750 form 517 - I need to check on warranty, though it's a bit difficult being in the UK - can't just drop by!!

And I guess nothing is truly bullet proof - after all it depends on how big the bullets are! But if it is 50% stronger than the standard box then that does it for me - I just can't see the point in putting in the standard box only to fry it again!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Daveperc View Post

And I guess nothing is truly bullet proof - after all it depends on how big the bullets are! But if it is 50% stronger than the standard box then that does it for me - I just can't see the point in putting in the standard box only to fry it again!

Dave
    Fair enough assumption Dave.

I think that it might be more economical to find a core transmission in the US to have sent to 517, rather than pay for shipping yours over the Atlantic both ways. Plus you will not be out of service during the shipping an rebuild period.

I recently sold my transmission for $600 and it was in good order when I removed it. Maybe you will have luck in sourcing one in the US.

Good Luck
    2012 Q7 TDI S-Line - 2010 GTI - 2007 A3 3.2 S-Line - 2003 RS6
    2001 Honda S2000 - 1977 Honda CBR 750-F2 - 1965 GMC 1500 WideSide

Yeah - I thought about trying to pick up a transmission in the US but for $600 (plus the cost of getting it to NJ) I can ship from the UK.

Real issue is the import duties on a box sourced in US - 24.5% as it come over the border!!

If I use temporary export from UK then there should be next to nothing to pay.

Fortunately I have sourced a box here I can "borrow" whilst it is refurbished, and then the owner will take mine when we swap them out, so I am not out of commission for longer that a simple (??) box exchange.

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Daveperc View Post

Fortunately I have sourced a box here I can "borrow" whilst it is refurbished, and then the owner will take mine when we swap them out, so I am not out of commission for longer that a simple (??) box exchange.
    Get a rental car for the month, save the labor, and chance of screwing something up doing the job twice. Hope it goes well! Seems like you'll be down for a month or so, been there, worth it! Cheers!

It's only a 15-20 hour job
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrapped View Post
    totally recommend them. I had launched my car multiple times, and never had an issue. I pm'ed you, as I have an extra trans that I could drop off to 517, and save u the downtime, .
    Weren't you selling a 517 trans trans recently? Did you decide to put it in? Or am I confusing you with someone else?

Sorry - didn't make myself clear. The box I "borrow" gets refurbed and then fitted - I'll only be off the road for a day or so.

Anyway - still got to sort the shipping and the money!! Then I'll be in business

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Shoppinit View Post
    Weren't you selling a 517 trans trans recently? Did you decide to put it in? Or am I confusing you with someone else?
    No, my car had a custom level10 Trans, installed when I installed the DBR built engine. So I had original, my mechanic took it for his, sent his for rebuilt, new clutch packs, VB and torque converter, all OEM spec. So I have a new rebuilt sitting in storage. I had it sold, but I don't have free time to pack it and ship, so I think buyer moved on. I would be happy to drive the Trans and deliver to 517 for a prospective buyer, after he paid me for it,
    Ebony/Black, DBR Stage 3 race kit, -SOLD :( 996TT Proto 650 basically a sardine can with a rocket attached to the back...11' CTS-V, 540/579RWP hehehehe ;)