Thread: Annoying Beep

Annoying Beep

In the past couple of weeks, I have been getting an annoying beep while backing out. Not the proximity beep, but a higher pitch sustained beep. Beep is originating from somewhere in the back of the vehicle. It does not happen every time, and stays on for a random period of time, but no longer than a couple of seconds. Any idea what this might be? Thanks.
    2003 RS6 MTM, RNS-E, 2007 Q7 and 1999 A4

I get that too. I thought it was just detecting my garage door frame while I was backing out.

The proximity beep gets higher pitched and sustained when about 6" from something. Is it not as loud? I'm guessing you've heard this. You sure it's electronic?
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

This is a different beep - much higher pitch and never intermittent. Sometimes I get both proximity and annoying at the same time. And, yes, it does sound electronic, and definitely originates from the back of the car.

Road Runner in trunk?

A dirty sensor will do that. You car thinks you are about to hit something. Pressure wash your rear bumper, and get it good around the sensors and the noise will go away.
    www.jsmotorcar.com

Quote Originally Posted by vr430 View Post
    In the past couple of weeks, I have been getting an annoying beep while backing out. Not the proximity beep, but a higher pitch sustained beep. Beep is originating from somewhere in the back of the vehicle. It does not happen every time, and stays on for a random period of time, but no longer than a couple of seconds. Any idea what this might be? Thanks.

check all your fluid levels..esp coolant (mine did that beep when the coolant was a fraction lower)
    2004 RS6
    APR, KW, REMUS

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie27 View Post
    check all your fluid levels..esp coolant (mine did that beep when the coolant was a fraction lower)

I get that sound with low wiper fluid icon on display

Thanks, all. I checked all fluids - seem to be in order. Cleaned all sensors. Will see if banshee (not the Road Runner) comes back.

There is the possibility of something aftermarket installed on the car you haven't discovered yet.

My backup sensors go off sometimes when they are dirty or whatever, but the pitch is the same as the intermittent beeps. It's just faster or constant.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    There is the possibility of something aftermarket installed on the car you haven't discovered yet.
    Hmmm. I'll rummage through all the crevaces in the trunk area and behind the bumper. Thanks.