Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS6 - stage 2 and higher

RS6 - stage 2 and higher

Quick question.
    Stock boost on the RS6 is 12 psi and stock power is 450Hp.
    What can be expected with a stage 2 tune?
    The RS6 has the larger torque converter (compared the S4/A6 etc TIP); any ideas what the power limits are for that one?
    Does someone offer an upgraded transmission, and if so, what are the upgraded power limits?

I think stock boost is 9 psi, and the Revo stage 2 just deletes the O2 codes for the "stage 2" if you're going catless. Figure your boost going up to around 15-19 depending on the tune. What's your tune? Most companies advertise the gains and details on their site, usually around 50-60hp and torque...ACE rebuilt TC would be good, and there are shops that do the trans, recommend both...
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

The MTM stage 2 is 545 I believe (maybe 535) without huge modifications. Made a huge difference in my beast, along with catless downpipes, and different intake system.

Quote Originally Posted by vtraudt View Post
    Quick question.
    Stock boost on the RS6 is 12 psi and stock power is 450Hp.
    What can be expected with a stage 2 tune?
    The RS6 has the larger torque converter (compared the S4/A6 etc TIP); any ideas what the power limits are for that one?
    Does someone offer an upgraded transmission, and if so, what are the upgraded power limits?
    I think the power limit for the stock torque converter is around 400 hp.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Chung View Post
    I think the power limit for the stock torque converter is around 400 hp.
    But the car comes with 450....wait a second, you're not saying.........
    Ace/Edge TC - Tozo Trans - MTM TCU - REVO/ME7 tune - Wagner IC's w/ Venair Hoses - Aux Radiator delete - Hotchkis Sways - Hawk HPS Pads - Koni Sport Struts - Scroll KO4 Turbos - Devil's Own WM - 421whp/452wtq on Mustang Dyno - http://www.audirssix.com

Converter isn't that much bigger on the RS....just enough to be a PITA for parts.

At 387 wheel I was fine. At 434 wheel the trans went. Hope that helps
    03 rs6 dahlback 461 awd hp 530 tq. 12.2 118 gone
    01 rs4
    Rs6 avant loba 6sp

Quote Originally Posted by mi021le View Post
    At 387 wheel I was fine. At 434 wheel the trans went. Hope that helps
    What engine mods and boost/tune levels were you running at the time? Sounds close to 550-570 at the engine? Dyno charts? No dyno numbers here, but after putting the W/M tank on my car I've slipped a gear in third (up to 4th) a few times, REVO tune with 19lbs boost, increased timing...

Wow, thanks guys for the active responses.
    On my current 2.7T I went from reported 247 cHP to 320 cHP (calculated based on MAF, 'torque' (ECU value)) on custom stage 2 tune (gutted downpipes, main cat delete).

I am currently building RS4 based RS6 turbos for the 2.7T; with fueling, larger MAF housing, upgraded intercooler (FMIC), I can realistically expect 420 awhp or 550 cHP.

The comments seem to indicated that the torque converter and/or transmission are limiting the potential of the Cosworth engine substantially (I would venture a guess the engine is good for 800 cHP).

I was hoping to upgrade the turbos with a very nice, efficient compressor wheel that I found and that seems to be a very good fit. But if the trans/TC are already borderline at 550 chp (or 25% over stock !!!), there seem to be very limited (and consequently expansive) upgrade solutions available. No sense in upgrading the turbos to 700HP if the trans is falling apart at little over stock power.

Quite disappointing.

The cosworth is good for a LOT more. Money is the only limiting factor. Google Gumpert Apollo.

Get some loba cams and turbos. Add thicker head gasket. Bigger injectors on separate fuel rails. Plasma coil packs. High flow intake and exhaust. Meth injection. Custom tune, and I bet over 700 is going to happen.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

2.7T with the -19? When you say trans falling apart, what fails first? A-clutch? T/C? Just curious.

Excuse me buting into this thread. I just found this intersting. I AM NOT RICH but just bought an RS6 with 88K miles. Seems to be in great shape with no noticble problems. I checked it out based on some DIY from this forum (THANKS). I would like to go to the next stage, but I cant get a clear idea of where to go and what I am going to spend. I want a little more poop and and tranny flash. Where and How much. My boss just beat me in his 2007 BMW 335i chipped. I dont want that to happen anymore.

Get a tune and don't flog the car too much, unless you're ready, and be ready, to drop $5-8k on TC and trans...

Remember, you have quattro over the bimmer and more space.

Tune can be software, tcu is solder in Mtm chip...

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    The cosworth is good for a LOT more. Money is the only limiting factor. Google Gumpert Apollo.

Get some loba cams and turbos. Add thicker head gasket. Bigger injectors on separate fuel rails. Plasma coil packs. High flow intake and exhaust. Meth injection. Custom tune, and I bet over 700 is going to happen.
    way more than that. By upgrading all major systems with a "reasonable" street ignition map, 200bhp/liter is the minimum you can milk out of an engine. That's 840hp at the crank.

As good as our auto slushboxes are, they're still automatics. Torque converters suck up a lot of power. If I hadn't gotten all my tuning cravings out on my Skyline, I'd completely redo the fuel system to run on E85 with much bigger injectors, upgrade the ignition system (more boost equals spark blowout problems unless the spark is a freaking arc welder), put bigger turbos (stock turbos are very small for a 4.2 liter engine; hell, they're smaller than the stock turbos Nissan put on the 2.6 liter Skyline), look at the intercooler system/consider meth injection for charge cooling, and swap to a 6 speed manual.

I think what may have kept most RS6s in mild states of tune (520-ish BHP) are concerns over engine life, lack of off-the-shelf tuning parts and well-established power upgrade pathways, but mostly, how much of a pain it is to do custom maps on the Audi ECU; Audi has that ECU failsafe that shuts down the ECU when you write to it, allowing about 30 seconds of reflash time before it shuts down. When I got my Stage 2 reflash, Eurocharged had to do it in something like ten chunks, with the ECU shutting down after each chunk of data.

And with a custom engine, the map MUST be individualized through dyno and street mapping. Oh, and with turbos pushing 800bhp, the torque peak won't be at 2000rpm, it'll be more like 4000rpm, and with a 6500rpm rev limit (or is it 7000? I've seen 7K many times), that's not a lot of powerband to work with, and a lot of lag before the turbos start spinning.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

I had my car custom mapped by MRC on their dyno, engine and TCU. I am at stage two with the following spec.

Milltek catback
    Milltek catless downpipes
    ITG filters
    RS2 Spark Plugs

The car made 530 BHP and 844 NM. I'm not sure of the wheel horsepower as it wasn't on the graph, but last year on the same dyno it made 467 BHP crank and 389 at the wheels if anyone wants to work it out? I guess the percentage loss will stay the same.

They have also just finished a 600 BHP RS6 for a member on the RS246 forum. From what I've heard it is more or less impossible to get past 550 BHP on the standard RS6 manifolds. MRC also had a manual 760 BHP RS6 in when I dropped mine off and that along with their other 600 BHP conversions have required a modified inconnel manifold setup.
    Current: V10 RS 6 Saloon, 420mm Ceramics, MRC, Milltek, MTM bits, Audi exclusive bits - 757BHP/967NM
    Past: V8 RS 6 plus, Sprint Blue, 126 of 999

Amar, what brand/part # spark plugs are the RS2?

Edit: oh, and where do you buy the ITG filters.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

I bought both the ITG filters and RS2 spark plugs from MRC. The ITG filters are MRC branded and built to their spec, the spark plug part number is F5DPOR, and they are made by Bosch. My car has been running them from around 10k miles with no problems whatsoever. Mine are OEM with the Audi logo on them.

Here is a link to MRC.

www.mrctuning.com/
    Current: V10 RS 6 Saloon, 420mm Ceramics, MRC, Milltek, MTM bits, Audi exclusive bits - 757BHP/967NM
    Past: V8 RS 6 plus, Sprint Blue, 126 of 999

The RS6 TC is 1.5" larger than n/a 4.2 and it is a dual clutch converter. It will hold more power than the trans can take.
    05 Cayenne turbo