Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19 x 9.5 Wheel and Tire fitment process documentation...

19 x 9.5 Wheel and Tire fitment process documentation...

Thought I'd document my process of fitting 19 x 9.5 wheels and tires... Still awaiting custom spacer/adapters.

I know many are running 19 x 9.5 wheels with various tire brands/sizes---but maybe someone will find it interesting or can add input...

--Decided upon and ordered VMR's V713 19 x 9.5 et45 wheels in Silver. Unfortunately, VMR's production run schedule is unpredictable... It's anybody's guess when/if VMR will have these wheels available in a 19 x 9.5 with a closer offset for the RS6. They are $250 each and would be direct bolt-on for our B8 S4 Friends---so thought it would be an easy resale if everything falls thru!

--Wheels arrived. Test fitted and confirmed the need for a 15mm spacer/adapter... I call it a spacer-adapter because it spaces the wheel 15mm AND adapts a wheel with a 66.6mm centric bore to a 57.1mm centric hub. Ordered the spacer/adapters from Adaptec.

--Test fit a 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot Super Sports... Not gonna happen--too tall to fit within the upright. Then tried a 275/30/19... It was a tight fit---but it fit. But, I didn't care for the relatively thin sidewall height. AND, thought the lower profile would yield a harsher ride---MN roads are bad, and getting worse. Finally tried a 265/35/19... Sidewall looked much better IMHO. Noticeably wider foot print than stockers---but the tire rubbed on the upright "nub." See next step and pics below. Ordered the 265/35/19 Michelin's PSS.

---Ground the upright "knob" off... I choose to use a belt sander---seemed to work well and imparted very little heat to the upright. Then polished with a random orbital (DA.) Now that the "knob" is gone, the tie-rod end appears to be the next limiting factor of inside wheel/tire clearance... So, if the wheel rubs anywhere, it'd likely be the tie-rod end.

---Spacer/adapters should arrive in 10-14 days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104..jpg 
Views:	473 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	12596

Name:	116..jpg 
Views:	446 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	12593

Name:	120..jpg 
Views:	476 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	12595

Name:	124..jpg 
Views:	477 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	12594
    Last edited by 4.2Crew; May 12th, 2012 at 02:35.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Great work Crew. What the hell is that knob for? Part of the casting process?

Too bad 275's won't work. But I'm looking foreward to seeing the results!
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    What the hell is that knob for? Part of the casting process?
    That's exactly what it looks like!... The upright appears to be hollow and manufactured in two pieces then seem-welded together. There is another knob on the backside of the upright in the same area.

Too bad 275's won't work.
    They did fit.... Just didn't like the thin side-wall. Thought it was esthetically out of scale for the car----especially next to the big 'ol fender flares... Looked kinda baller and even less aggresive IMHO.
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Right. I guess it's too bad the 35 profile didn't work. So, that profile was tall enough to rub the upright?

I remember pats old beast and I think he had 30 profile, but it was lowered enough that it didn't look awkward.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Right. I guess it's too bad the 35 profile didn't work. So, that profile was tall enough to rub the upright?
    Yes. The 35 rubbed. I could see, even without the "nub", it was a no-go... The 275/35 with a 30et locate the inner tire edge 13mm closer to the upright AND 7mm higher---it's this combination where we run out of real estate. However, other brands of 275/35 may fit---I just checked the PSS's. Also, an et26 to 28 might do it?... My max comfort and risk/reward was a 15mm spacer!

I remember pats old beast and I think he had 30 profile, but it was lowered enough that it didn't look awkward.
    That's a good point. I'm lowered only 1/2". So, the 30 profile produced 7mm additional tire/fender gap... Which didn't help the esthetics! I've become too accustomed to the new minimal fender gap after installing the Koni's!

Bummer to hear this as I was looking at the VMR v710's in a 19 x 9.5 which they supposedly have in a 33 offset, but I really am trying to avoid spacers if I can.

I looked at vmr as well. They have some old info on various dealer sites regarding offset. According to VMR they only offer a 45 et for our cars.
    I don't want spacers either.
    For the money and quality, I think the best wheels for our cars is the forgestar. They custom build them based on the car and set up you want to run.

Rick
    2003 Audi RS6 Avus Silver

I believe Pat had DPE MT7's in 19x9.5 with correct offset. I cannot recall if we wore 35 or 30 profile shoes. He still lurks, so I am sure he can clarify. Whatever he had was probably the best combination of look, size, fit and performance. IMHO.
    2003 RS6 MTM, RNS-E, 2007 Q7 and 1999 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    For the money and quality, I think the best wheels for our cars is the forgestar. They custom build them based on the car and set up you want to run.

Rick
    I agree... This is my morning after plan "B" if there is any perceived vibration or wobble induced by the spacer/adapters. The car is smooth as butter up to 145mph with stock wheels and Conti DWS's.
    Last edited by 4.2Crew; May 14th, 2012 at 23:31.

Quote Originally Posted by 4.2Crew View Post
    I agree... This is my morning after plan "B" if there is any perceived vibraion or wobble induced by the spacer/adapters. The car is smooth as butter up to 145mph with stock wheels and Conti DWS's.
    Smooth to only 145? What happens past that? Mine feel real nice over 145.

Smooth to only 145? What happens past that? Mine feel real nice over 145.
    Uhmm. Well. I hope the PoPo isn't monitoring the board!... But, my favorite stretch is 494E past the MSP airport, over the MN river, up to 35E... No on/off exits for about 1.5 miles. Smooth. And at 5am, it's usually clear sailing... Only problem, at 140+, you run out of real estate very quick. However, with the APR tune, I think 165-170mph is doable with time to pull the shoot before the exit.

Uhmm. Well. I hope the PoPo isn't monitoring the board!... But, my favorite stretch is 494E past the MSP airport, over the MN river, up to 35E... No on/off exits for about 1.5 miles. Smooth. And at 5am, it's usually clear sailing... Only problem, at 140+, you run out of real estate very quick. However, with the APR tune, I think 165-170mph is doable with time to pull the shoot before the exit.
    Hehe. I get to do those pulls on empty county roads up here. Most I've seen was real close to 165 on the speedo. If I had the room and the balls, I know it'd do over 180.

Quote Originally Posted by vr430 View Post
    I believe Pat had DPE MT7's in 19x9.5 with correct offset. I cannot recall if we wore 35 or 30 profile shoes. He still lurks, so I am sure he can clarify. Whatever he had was probably the best combination of look, size, fit and performance. IMHO.

Name:	IMG_0049..jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	12614

19x9.5 et 30 ..255/35/19 no spacers no rubbing..and cant go any wider at all w/ my suspension set up..not 1 mmClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0043..jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	102.3 KB 
ID:	12613
    2004 RS6
    APR, KW, REMUS

That's a good point. I'm lowered only 1/2". So, the 30 profile produced 7mm additional tire/fender gap... Which didn't help the aesthetics! I've become too accustomed to the new minimal fender gap after installing the Koni's!
    try H&R springs, you won't have any fender gap after that. You will have to roll the front fenders though.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

However, with the APR tune, I think 165-170mph is doable with time to pull the shoot before the exit.
    145 to 165 is a huge jump, especially in top gear. Not enough real estate. But please keep us posted ;-)

I always get an itchy right foot on that stretch as well...
    2003 RS6 MTM, RNS-E, 2007 Q7 and 1999 A4

This may help some

19x9.5 et33 vmr wheels
    265/35/19 PSS in NO porsche fitment (very important as there are two fitments in this size)
    Grind off nubs
    No spacers
    13.5 center to fender

Its tight but if you want sidewall as noted above for a daily driver...this setup is tits.

The ol beast is looking like such a beater these days... lol

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	16785

Way to revive an old thread Dave. Not 19s but PSS are grippy as hell. 265 35 18 et35 w/10 MM H&R spacers (to clear front calipers) = summer setup. You can slightly see tread of Conti DWS' on near flawless stock wheels in bottom right of pic... soon to go in for Idaho winter.
    Daytona Grey/ Ebony/Carbon | APR ECU/TCU | Wagner intercoolers, silicone hoses | Clampco T-bolts | APR axel back exhaust | Apikol MAF seal | 18x9.5 STR 609s | 265/35 Michelin PSS | Hotchkis sway bars |