Thread: Rock vs. Windsheild

Rock vs. Windsheild

Windsheild lost. Actually it is not a big deal, but it did put a nice crack in it. Happened 3 miles after leaving MN cars and coffee.

I have full glass coverage. Is there anything I need to be aware of upon having it replaced? Like a certain type? Making sure its installed correctly?
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

Bummer but glad to hear you have the glass coverage. I took a rock the first week I had mine, didn't crack it but the chip is in 'line of sight' and therefore could not be legally repaired.

Safelite is going to be coming out tomorrow morning to do the install (assuming I'm able to have her back today from her TC/75k 3 week adventure), and the one thing I insisted on when I filed the claim is that Audi glass was used, not aftermarket. My Insurance provider was very cool about it, let me know I would have to cover any extra cost over the aftermarket and as luck would have it the Audi glass was almost $200 bucks LESS than the aftermarket. So that would be my only recommendation on it, use Audi glass.

I have not dealt with Safelite before so I'll let you know how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sawyer View Post
    ........and as luck would have it the Audi glass was almost $200 bucks LESS than the aftermarket. So that would be my only recommendation on it, use Audi glass.
    Shhhhh. I bet the IT guys at Audi update ETKA within a week.
    Daytona/Ebony/Carbon/SEE/RNS-E/19X9 Speedline "Peelers"

Yeah I saw that, my windshield is "sandblasted" and I want to keep OEM so its a win win!

Installers usually will be dicks and say no warranty or responsibility if they use your glass :/
    2008 A4 2.0TQ Quartz Grey Metallic S-Line/Titanium Package
    2017 A4 2.0TQ Glacier White Metallic Prestige Sport
    2003 RS6 TOTALED.-----Searching for a replacement

Quote Originally Posted by 4everRS View Post
    Windsheild lost. Actually it is not a big deal, but it did put a nice crack in it. Happened 3 miles after leaving MN cars and coffee.

I have full glass coverage. Is there anything I need to be aware of upon having it replaced? Like a certain type? Making sure its installed correctly?
    Damn!... Too bad. Hope the glass was sandblasted and could use a refresh anyway???

With a 60 mile round-trip commute 5 days a week for 9 1/2 years on 494, I've had 7 replaced on my 2001 A6 4.2L sport.... Use a highly recommended installer in your area, or I can recommend an installer in the Metro... If you go with a regional/national chain, ask for the best installer they have for a rare $90k car----usually they will send the best to "mitigate collateral risk."
    2003 RS6 l SE Exhaust l Koni Yellow Sports w/stock springs l Lowered 1"F 1.25"R l EPL Tuned l 19 x 9.5 VMR V713 & 265 PSS's l 50% window tint l Protective film on entire hood, bumper and front quarter panels l

Called my insurance co this morning. I told him I am a little obsessive about the car and he said they will go ahead with the Audi brand glass. Conferenced in was a local shop I requested and they ordered it up. Should be ready to do it next week.

And yes, the windsheild was slightly sandblasted so it'll be nice to have a new one.
    Avus Silver RS6 - Viper Stage 2 ECU/TCU - Water/Meth Injection - Frozen Rotors - Hbars - clear corners - Hella smoked tails - gutted precats

My installer told me the A6 v6 and A6 V8 are different pieces of glass and if you get the wrong one it will almost fit but leak. So I would say go OEM.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

reminds me of the time a very sizable rock that dropped out of the back of a construction truck and slammed into the driver's side of my '86 Turbo quattro coupe's windshield. The safety laminate saved me from getting my head bashed in, but the impact showered shards of glass into the interior and 1/3rd of the windshield was shattered. 3am on the New Jersey Turnpike and I had a couple hours yet to make it home. That was no fun.
    Das Silberkugel - Eurocharged Stage 2/MTM/Level 10/Hotchkis/Koni/H&R
    2015 Ducati 1299S Panigale
    2014 Ducati Multistrada Granturismo

Two days ago on my way into work at 6:00am a little sparrow had a fight with the lower passenger side of my windshield. Sparrow lost. All that was left was left was some ooze and some feathers. The impact was crazy loud and certainly woke me up for the rest of the ride in. I thought for sure the glass would be cracked but luckily not.
    ECU/TCU chip, Euro Recaro's, KW 3's, Wagners, Venair hoses, Dahlback diverters, Hotchkis sways, Phaeton ducts, lower spoilers, custom vent's in hood

M A K E S U R E the bottom trim is on properly.

I had mine replaced a few years ago, and after about a Year I happened to leave my car parked outside, tipped slightly down hill in a huge rainstorm. Water went into the passenger side via the cabin charcoal filter, and flooded the TCU. It was because the bottom trim piece was never properly installed. I had noticed it, asked about it, and the installer said it was not a problem....WRONG....

Go OEM. As far as I can tell the RS6 glass is different than the A6 v8

Mike

first month I had mine, windshield versus bolt = bolt won!
    I insisted on OEM glass, it took an extra week to order it and retail was $700
    Installer was excellent
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

Quote Originally Posted by Aronis View Post
    M A K E S U R E the bottom trim is on properly.

I had mine replaced a few years ago, and after about a Year I happened to leave my car parked outside, tipped slightly down hill in a huge rainstorm. Water went into the passenger side via the cabin charcoal filter, and flooded the TCU. It was because the bottom trim piece was never properly installed. I had noticed it, asked about it, and the installer said it was not a problem....WRONG....

Go OEM. As far as I can tell the RS6 glass is different than the A6 v8

Mike
    This is exactly what my installer said to be careful for though I thought he said it was because of the V6 vs V8 (aluminum front end). Either way I second this advice. Make sure it doesn't leak.

I used the same person Audi uses for their glass, the dealership just gave me the name of the person they use.
    2003 Daytona/Silver RS6

My insurance, after some moron in a new camero passed a slow poke and me in a double yellow (I was waiting until the straight), sprayed my poor windshield, was great with the replsacement of an OEM Audi windshield as it is thier policy. By the way, I did of course pass the 20 year-old idiot who could only get to 85 whilst I waved at 110.

New glass installed by Safelite and they did a fantastic job. Sent two trucks and as mentioned, they (upon request/inquiry) sent a tech with experience on high end vehicles. When I asked they said it was their SOP but regardless I'm glad I asked. I feel like I'm looking at an HD world now, didn't realize how pitted my old glass was; I appreciate the rock's trajectory. :-)