Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Road Course Racing. Who Does it with their RS6?

Replacement RS6 Lightweight rotor (JHMotorsports)

I checked on the front rotors from JHM. They show 2-piece direct replacement here:
    http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalo...afed668afbdcec

Scroll down a little over half way - LWR-FC5RS6 , reduced price of $725 for the front pair.

Or, try this full link to the rotor description page:
    Very reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy94507 View Post
    All,
    Cheapest handling improvement you can make for the RS6 is Hotchkis H-Sport sway basr.

The stock RS6 rotor is a heat sink? Too heavy and very small cooling vanes and the internally mounted rotor hat blocks cooling air from entering the rotor. Compare to an R8 rotor (same brake caliper as RS6) and you'll see what I mean. We had our own 2-piece rotors fabricated by Coleman racing. RS4 rotor went to 2-piece made by Brembo.

Search the forum for JP4 or jimmy94507 posts. Lots of info on our rotor and post about Phaeton backing plate Mod.
    Check the following out for swap in replacement rotor (rotor ring looks like what Coleman provided us and hat looks similar). Link may have changed since last year? I do not know of anyone who has used this rotor. :

JHMotorsports Brake rotors?? Ask them if Coleman makes their rotor ring. Please let me know.
    Follow link to the B7 RS4.
    Diameter and thickness is same as RS6. Don't know about bolt pattern of hat/rotor ring??

Brake Fluid - Motul RBF600, both JP4 and myself (each of us over 40 DE's, including 3 days at Daytona in 2008)
    Pagid RS-14 (black) or RS-15 (Grey, most agressive pad), We recommend RS-29 in the rear.

Schroth harness - Started using them on my 2000 A6, 4.2 and very definitely on RS6. JP and I recommend them for anyone tracking RS6. My wife has been using them on her various TT's, now 2008 Dayton Gray TT Coupe.
    Contact Jeremy Williams at Matrix Integrated in Portland Oregon (http://www.matrixintegrated.cc/) for info and good all around technical support. Tell him Jimmy & Chris Stoner sent you.

MTM Transmission cooler - I think I am the only RS6 in the US with this cooler installed. Quite effective.
    e-mail me if you want more info and pictures of our clean install: jimmys@cableone.net
    (Sourcing from MTM turned out to be a big challenge!!!)

Ben916 - Do you have contact info for Headshot and could you send him my e-mail (jimmys@cableone.net)? I would like to know the measurements for cutting the access opening to adjust the KW rear shocks (if he kept his notes.)
    Does anyone else have the dimensions for this mod? Thanks,

Miller Motorsports Park - We helped with the first Audi DE held at the track in 2006 (?). We had the benefit of the full track (smile, and no one of had ever been there before, except for Neil McGary. A real challenge for us Instructors!). A great experience for all! For our 2nd trip to MMP the students were split into 2 hour sessions on the West & East tracks, then alternated. Worked very well and then the full track the 2nd day for everyone. Great fun!

All you track fanatics from the Southwest, especially S. CA, UT & NV, need to put Spring Mountain Motorsport Ranch, Pahrump, NV on your calendar for April, 2013. (Go to their website and check out the fantastic facility this has become!). So Cal. Chapter of Audi Club hosts a fantastic event there each spring.

Hope some of this info helps. Feel free to contact me.
    Regards, Jimmy S.

A little inspiration

Hi All,

I figured I would share a little inspiration for those headed to the track.

2 videos below were shot at NMP with NEQ last month. The first is my RS6 'Judas' on its first test outing on 275 R888's with Hawk DTC70 pads on stock rotors, Pheaton ducts and Hotchkiss sway bars. UNfortunately I had a motor problem with oil pushing past the LS1 rear main seal.

The second video is me driving a new friends MTM RS6 on the other track. Lots of fun all round MTM was on street tires, stock suspension and brakes with DTC70's. First few laps were ESP on, last few were ESP off.

1) 'Judas' LS1 RS6 at NJMP Thunderbolt

2) MTM RS6 at NJMP Lightening

Overall both cars felt surprisingly good for such a heavy pig.

Wheels & Ofset?

Hi,
    What size wheels and offset were you using to mount the 275's and have sufficient clearance?

Thanks, Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by HT MOtorsport View Post
    Hi All,

I figured I would share a little inspiration for those headed to the track.

2 videos below were shot at NMP with NEQ last month. The first is my RS6 'Judas' on its first test outing on 275 R888's with Hawk DTC70 pads on stock rotors, Pheaton ducts and Hotchkiss sway bars. UNfortunately I had a motor problem with oil pushing past the LS1 rear main seal.

The second video is me driving a new friends MTM RS6 on the other track. Lots of fun all round MTM was on street tires, stock suspension and brakes with DTC70's. First few laps were ESP on, last few were ESP off.

1) 'Judas' LS1 RS6 at NJMP Thunderbolt

2) MTM RS6 at NJMP Lightening

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy94507 View Post
    Hi,
    What size wheels and offset were you using to mount the 275's and have sufficient clearance?

Thanks, Jimmy
    Hey Jimmy,

Wheels are TSW Nurburgring rotary forged 18x9.5 ET40 with a 10mm ECS spacer. The R888's are 275/45/18 and they run wide as they are a dot-R tire and to be honest they are a bit big for the car. They dont rub with the car at stock ride height but they would if it was lowered a lot. Next time I will likekly drop to a 265/40/18, but I will enjoy wearing these out first.

H

I hesitate to guess you weren't really pushing either car to their full limit. Impossible to tell from the video I know, but for your friends MTM tuned ride, I find it difficult to believe an S5 would go by an RS6 running full out on a straight away, much less with that much speed.

Other than that, I see the brakes held up fine. What were your max speeds on the straigh sections prior to threshold braking into the corner? Our track here prior to closing down had a 1/2 mile front straight which would enable a nicely tuned RS6 to hit 250-260km/h prior to threshold braking to taking corner #1 at 120-130 (tight corners). I found the brakes took a shit kicking after a half dozen hot laps from those speeds and even though I was using DOT4 boiled them on one occassion. Never boiled them again after draining and filling with DOT5.
    '02 S6 Avant Silver - Pokey | Carbon Black/Ebony RS6 w/ stuff - darn quick | '03 Daytona Grey/Ebony RS6 w/ more stuff - quicker yet | '91 NSX CDN issue with 6spd & BBSC - quicker yet and then some | '87 Buick GNX OEM clone w/ lots of stuff - quickest hands down

Quote Originally Posted by Bigglezworth View Post
    I hesitate to guess you weren't really pushing either car to their full limit. Impossible to tell from the video I know, but for your friends MTM tuned ride, I find it difficult to believe an S5 would go by an RS6 running full out on a straight away, much less with that much speed.

Other than that, I see the brakes held up fine. What were your max speeds on the straigh sections prior to threshold braking into the corner? Our track here prior to closing down had a 1/2 mile front straight which would enable a nicely tuned RS6 to hit 250-260km/h prior to threshold braking to taking corner #1 at 120-130 (tight corners). I found the brakes took a shit kicking after a half dozen hot laps from those speeds and even though I was using DOT4 boiled them on one occassion. Never boiled them again after draining and filling with DOT5.
    You are correct, neither car is a race car so I was treating them both with some respect. This was also an Audi club HPDE and I was instructing so despite running in the instructor group I was being generous with point by's.

My car was being tested and as such I was just feeling it out for grip and braking levels. Unfortunately about 8 laps in I could smell oil and came in to find a waterfall of oil coming out of the bellhousing so that was it for my car.

The MTM had some mechanical issues with boiled brake fluid so I jumped in and helped the owner resolve the problem, and he very generously allowed me to take it out with him as a passenger in the last instructor session of the even. Clearly I did not want to damage his car, although I did wind it up pretty hard to see how it behaved compared to mine, as well as to give the owner who was a student a bit more understanding of what the car was capable of. We did manage to get some pretty good slip angles in a few of the 'safer' corners.

As for speeds on the straights, the 2 videos are on two separate tracks at the same facility in New Jersey http://www.njmp.com/facility/track-maps.html. Both straights have about the same terminal velocity and I was seeing between 135 and 140mph in both cars. I was braking super early i.e. about the 500' mark, so about 100' before the first braking board. These cars are heavy and take a lot of slowing down so I decided to play it safe and not kill the rotors too badly.

The S5 passing I gave a point by and a big lift.

H

Jaque de Threadage....

The RED halos?
    Is that the mod from 8520 on Audizine?

Please do shead some "light" on this mod...
    SOLD - 03 RS6 Avus (905355)
    Current - 03 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 double cab - the YETI, lifted, winched, snorkeled, lockered, skidded, geared

what are your opinions on using 255/40ZR18 Hoosier R6's on stock wheels for track events?
    2003 Rs6 Mugello/Ebony Eurocharged/APR R1 DV's/RNS-E/KW-v3/Hotchkis/Full Milltek Cat-less/Apikol IC's/D.O. water-meth/ 6 speed SOLD!! Next???

Quote Originally Posted by MaxRS6 View Post
    Good advice on all the above...

I would add create yourself a checklist to utilize between sessions. The time between sessions will fly by and it is easy to overlook something that might bite. A simple checklist provides a calm orderly process to check out the car (i.e. the brake pads, tires, fluid levels, temps, tire pressure, torque lug bolts etc). Be sure to keep a close eye on the inside tire for cording. If you have Vag-Com, check the ATF temp periodically. Might consider a spray bottle to wet down the intercoolers with ice water between sessions. I'm not on the Meth at the moment so I utilize the po man spray bottle currently. ;0

Take a spare set of front and rear brake pads. You don't want a simple thing like brake pads to end the day early. If possible, invest in track wheels and tires. If you gonna do it routinely, keep a set of "track" rotors to swap out for track events.

It is certainly a front loaded heavy hog. However; when you get a little brake trail braking action busting out the back end a bit, and blast out of a perfectly hit Apex, ...well....IT IS TOO MUCH FUN. Be ready for the unsuspecting to pounce on you between sessions with the "WTF is in that thang??".

Keep it safe and have a great time! I look forward to hearing about your experience.
    Hey MaxRS6.... I think I recognize the occupants of that car in you picture!!

JP4, Haven't seen you post in a while. Hope all is well in St L . Doing any track events?

Quote Originally Posted by Amulet-S6 View Post
    JP4, Haven't seen you post in a while. Hope all is well in St L . Doing any track events?
    Heading to Mid-O on Thursday,

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    what are your opinions on using 255/40ZR18 Hoosier R6's on stock wheels for track events?
    The Hoosiers are not designed for such a heavy car. The load rating is worse than most track tires of that size. I would not recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by JP4 View Post
    Hey MaxRS6.... I think I recognize the occupants of that car in you picture!!
    That pic remains hanging on my office wall. It was my great honor to have you as my first instructor. You gave me a lot of great habits that carry on, and I believe have helped me over the past years have a lot of fun in a safe manner. Not to mention the numerous phone calls that go something like "Hello John- How u doin- What do you think of this (tires, brakes, lines, braking methods, etc, etc)?"...Then John responds something like "Max- Are you out of your mind??- Remember- you won't be setting any track records- LOL "

Daytona was 3 days of too much fun, and as I heard someone say "The most fun you can have with your clothes on!"- LOL

Have fun at Mid-Ohio and I wish I was there with you..;(
    210K miles rolled

Quote Originally Posted by JP4 View Post
    The Hoosiers are not designed for such a heavy car. The load rating is worse than most track tires of that size. I would not recommend it.
    Agreed- This was one of my calls with my mentor (JP4). I tried the Hoosiers at Barber and went through a set over two days. They did work but they were gone veddy quickly.

I'm a convert to the Michelin Sport Cups for track use. I used them for 3 days at TWS and they wore much better for this kid. Amulet hooked me up with another set he had in storage. Thanks again Jim! I'm stocked up for the next opportunity...;0
    210K miles rolled

Oil for trackdays

Hi
    I'm building a racing car of an manual 6 speed S8-97 with Rs6 engine that has upgraded turbo's and MTM ecu.

I wondering what type of engine oil is the best for RS6 ?

I always used Castrol RS 10w-60 in other cars but is that too thick for RS6 engine ?

I have spoken to Castrol now and they say that a thick oil will generate more heat so they recommend a thin oil like 0w-30 or 5w-30
    So i think i will go for Castrol EDGE FST 5w-30

But i want to hear first from you guys which oil you recommend for racing.

Is anyone using Carbotech XP10 / XP8
    or Performance friction brake pads ?